Remove this ad

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#41 [url]

Jan 7 09 1:37 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ January 07, 2009 09:26 am)
What represents a 'Graphic' novel? A book filled with pictures? flamelssecret/hysterical.gif kidding!

actually...yes...

It's basically a deeper more involved comic book.

i.e. - 300, The Watchers, Sin City, etc.

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#42 [url]

Jan 7 09 1:45 PM

really?! And I thought i was doing a lame joke! Ive actually never read any of those. Ive tried a few mangas but got really confused... I read comic books sometimes but i dont really like paying for them cause i find they are usually overprice for something you can read in 15 mins!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#43 [url]

Jan 7 09 1:47 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ January 07, 2009 09:45 am)
really?! And I thought i was doing a lame joke! Ive actually never read any of those. Ive tried a few mangas but got really confused... I read comic books sometimes but i dont really like paying for them cause i find they are usually overprice for something you can read in 15 mins!

Manga's read backwards, you knew that right?

And a graphic novel is no way a "comic book" as they are generally not "serial" they don't continue through thousands of 20 pages little books.

Graphic Novels are self encompassing and can be hundreds of pages long. It's just formatted like a comic book rather than your standard novel.

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#44 [url]

Jan 7 09 2:18 PM

I wonder if this series would ever be released as a graphic novel? I'd love to see the Nidhogg running rampage through Paris with Josh and the Disir in persuit!

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#45 [url]

Jan 7 09 2:42 PM

QUOTE (Godsryche @ January 07, 2009 08:47 am)

Manga's read backwards, you knew that right?

Yes of course! Which is why i tend to get confused. My eyes just dont seem to want to read that way!

And this series as a graphic novel would be awesome!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#46 [url]

Jan 7 09 7:22 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ January 06, 2009 04:08 pm)
Does anyone like Graphic Novels?
I love Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series and also The Books of Magic and my brother got me Hatter M as I love Ben Templesmith's graphics. (He's the chap who draws for 30 Days of Night...which I also love)

I am interested in hearing how Hatter M is - I have read the Looking Glass Wars and Seeing Redd and was trying to decide whether or not to get Hatter M the other day. I would love to hear what you thought - especially if you have read the other two - so I can be prepared for how it fits into the story - or doesn't!

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jan 7 09 8:26 PM

I like some graphic novels, but not alot, it really depends upon the writing style of the author and how the artist captures the conceptual vision of the story arc and brings it to life. It's a lot of work, especially for an author who's working in a 'print' medium and then crosses over to work in 'picture' medium. A graphic novel for someone new to that genre is a long, tedious collaborative process of author/artist that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

I've read most of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Jim Butcher released one called "Welcome to the Jungle" and is in the process of releasing a graphic novel for his first book of The Dresden Files series.

Nosce Te Ipsum/Know Thyself - One joy shatters a hundred griefs.
The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jan 8 09 4:52 PM

QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ January 07, 2009 07:22 pm)
QUOTE (Melpomene @ January 06, 2009 04:08 pm)
Does anyone like Graphic Novels?
I love Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series and also The Books of Magic and my brother got me Hatter M as I love Ben Templesmith's graphics. (He's the chap who draws for 30 Days of Night...which I also love)

I am interested in hearing how Hatter M is - I have read the Looking Glass Wars and Seeing Redd and was trying to decide whether or not to get Hatter M the other day. I would love to hear what you thought - especially if you have read the other two - so I can be prepared for how it fits into the story - or doesn't!

I haven't read any of the others although I think I should really read The Looking Glass Wars before I start...I've had a little look so far and I think it's the kind of thing I'll love. But I need to put by some time as I really have to concentrate on graphic novels!

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jan 8 09 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ January 06, 2009 05:30 am)
QUOTE (~Kat.Flow~ @ January 04, 2009 07:24 pm)
Well, sometimes when a cover really interests me I pick the book and read the description of it, then I decide if I want to read it or not.
And for Christmas, I got Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams, that's the book I'm reading now, it's pretty exciting 

I've heard of Tunnels, but I haven't read it yet, what did you think think of it Kat? (that's if you've had a chance to finish it!)

So yesterday, I finally end it!!! I really liked the book, the actual plot I think is different from others I've read. What I liked the most is that every event that happened in the book, has something in later chapters related.
What I enjoyed the most was the end, I was like flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif this can't be happening.
I would recommend the book, it's nice to read the story with different narrators. Now I'll see when I can buy the sequel

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#50 [url]

Jan 9 09 1:13 PM

You know what! I went to the bookstore yesterday, down where i work, and saw that book! And then i was like, im pretty sure this title sounds familiar!
I think it was in french though so i wouldnt have bought it anyways but im glad to hear its good since thats a book that its cover definitely caught my eye!

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jan 9 09 2:40 PM

My best friend has been trying to get me to read that book (Tunnels) since last summer. I even had it checked out from the library at one point, but never read it because I was too busy. I will definitely have to find it again and try to fit it in. Too many good books, not enough time in the day to read them all. flamelssecret/goodsigh2.gif

user posted image
Aura color:Bright Red/Dark Green
Aura scent: Chocolate

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#52 [url]

Jan 9 09 2:47 PM

QUOTE (LunaAquaVirgo @ January 09, 2009 08:40 am)
Too many good books, not enough time in the day to read them all. flamelssecret/goodsigh2.gif

my problem exactly i have a list a mile long that will probably last me the rest of my life flamelssecret/sFun_scared.gif

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Jan 10 09 7:42 AM

My favourite books would have to include :
>Brisingr, by Christopher Paolini ( flamelssecret/love0030.gif flamelssecret/bow.gif )
>The Twilight Saga, by Stephenie Meyer
>The Year Nick McGowan Came To Stay, by Rebecca Sparrow (that one was REALLY good. a quick, neasy read, but still amazing)
>Journey to the River Sea, by Eva Ibottson (one of my friend's favourite too!)
>Harry Potter, by Jo Rowling (!!)
>His Dark Materials Trilogy, by Phillip Pullman (amazing!!! How I adore Will!♥)
>Inkworld Trilogy, by Cornelia Funke (Competitor for Top-Spot, beaten out by the Alchemyst.... hehehe. though I have yet to read Inkdeath...)

Ahaha. I can't remember the rest of the questions now.... flamelssecret/hysterical.gif

I have a lot of ideas, and I procrastinate. A fatal combination.

Once you are touched by magic, you are forever changed...

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jan 10 09 10:28 PM

My favorite books are
>The Eragon Trilogy
>The Alchemyst Books
>Frankenstein
>I kinda liked the bible
> and many more

Ní bhíonn saoi gan locht.
There's no wise man without fault

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jan 11 09 1:50 AM

Favorite Authors: Melissa de la Cruz, Stephenie Meyer, Michael Scott, Rachel Caine, John Grogan, Sharon Creech, Jerry Spinelli, Meg Cabot, Cecily von Ziegsar, Zoey Dean, Laurie Halse Andereson
Favorite Books: Twilight, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, The Ashleys, The Clique, The Morganville Vampires, Speak, Marley: A Dog Like No Other, Blue Bloods, The Princess Diaries, Zoey Dean's Talent, Gossip Girl, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Loser, Stargirl, Walk Two Moons
#1 Favorite Books: it's pretty much a tie between Twilight and The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. I've read them, like, 100,000,000,000 times
Genres: Fantasy, Teen Drama, (almost) anything with vampires

Josh: "So let me get this straight. You don't know how to drive? Neither of you?"
Nicholas: "Never learned."
Scatty: "Never had the time."

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Jan 15 09 1:19 AM

QUOTE (Sam4B00ks @ January 10, 2009 10:28 pm)
My favorite books are

>The Eragon Trilogy

>The Alchemyst Books

>Frankenstein

>I kinda liked the bible

> and many more

Mostly, mine are the same, but did you know that the Eragon trilogy is actually now the Eragon Cycle. Halfway into Brisingr, Christopher realized that Brisingr was getting too long, so he decided to split it into two books. Now with four books, he feels that it's better, to keep fans satisfied, and it gives him more time to work with the books. I hope this means the fourth book will come out sooner!

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Jan 17 09 9:59 AM

There are a lot of really talented and amazing authors, hard to choose.
Favorite Author/s:
J.K Rowling
Lian Hearn
Lewis Carroll
Michael Scott
Favorite Series:
Harry Potter
Alice in Wonderland
Tales of The Otori
The Alchemyst Series
Genre:
....let me sleep on that one.
I'm always interested in books with a little history in them, but sometimes I do have a hard time finding something that I am really interested in. It was thanks to J.K Rowling that I became truly interested in reading. The Tales of the Otori was one of those series that captivated me throughout the whole series, her writing style is truly amazing, especially in this series.
I only started reading the two Alice books a little while ago and I'm now addicted to anything Alice related, theories and all. I love the sometimes hidden meanings in those passages that seem at first glace nonsensical. even though he said it was all meant to mean nothing, I can only feel he was taking slight jabs at the society of his time...
And we come to The Alchemyst series, I must say never have I been this interested in characters that appear in a series of books, I've researched these characters more than I ever researched for my school assignments.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jan 24 09 12:39 AM

hmmm.
when i read the Alchemyst i was like...whoa.......... flamelssecret/hyper_.gif
then i saw there was going to be a second one and i had been waiting.....and waiting and then one day in science we were in the library and where the Alchemyst books were i saw something red and i saw 2 words: The Magician (this was really my expression ) on it and right when i finished my classes i ran to the library and checked it out before anyone else could flamelssecret/clap3.gif

QUOTE (Ectw101 @ January 14, 2009 08:19 pm)
QUOTE (Sam4B00ks @ January 10, 2009 10:28 pm)
My favorite books are
>The Eragon Trilogy
>The Alchemyst Books
>Frankenstein
>I kinda liked the bible
> and many more

Mostly, mine are the same, but did you know that the Eragon trilogy is actually now the Eragon Cycle. Halfway into Brisingr, Christopher realized that Brisingr was getting too long, so he decided to split it into two books. Now with four books, he feels that it's better, to keep fans satisfied, and it gives him more time to work with the books. I hope this means the fourth book will come out sooner!

i know, im gonna go crazy to get that book flamelssecret/badmood.gif

Please dont make references like that!
And Please don't double post when you can use the "Edit Post" function instead!

Ní bhíonn saoi gan locht.
There's no wise man without fault

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Jan 24 09 2:21 AM

Has anybody read the books Magyk, Flyte, Physik or Queste by Angie Sage?? Those are awesome books!

"Battles are won by men, wars are won by strategists"

Aura color: Lime Green
Magical Scent: Green Apples
Magical Specialty: Sorcerer
Elemental Magic: Water

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Jan 24 09 6:04 PM

QUOTE (kmaWriter @ January 24, 2009 02:21 am)
Has anybody read the books Magyk, Flyte, Physik or Queste by Angie Sage?? Those are awesome books!

I haven't, although my friend has recently recommended them to me, what are the about?

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help