Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Dec 30 08 1:56 PM

Yes it would...I frequently judge books by their covers But I think you have to, if you're just browsing in a shop then the books you pick up will either be the titles that appeal or those with the eyecatching covers. Especially with book for young adults, the covers are usually indicative of the contents so a cover is enough. I picked up the Alchemyst in Waterstones well before I bought it because i loved the cover...I just couldn't afford it at the time but I remembered it.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#22 [url]

Dec 30 08 2:27 PM

Covers definitely influence my purchases. If it's something I have no idea about - it needs to have a nice hook in the description on the back or inside flap too. A nice picture/artwork makes me pick it up in the first place, but without a good description I would put it back down.

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#23 [url]

Dec 31 08 12:18 AM

I have to agree with that too, I have my favourite authors that I will automatically buy a new release from, but I also browse my favourite catagories, and if I see an interesting cover I do have a skim read, that often leads to me discovering a new author to add to my favourites! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Dec 31 08 1:17 AM

Generally I'll remove a dust jacket before I read a novel. I have to be perfectly honest and say 'No', a book cover is not likely to grab my attention. The reason being is that I hate---HATE---shopping of any kind {I must be the oddest female out there}, so whenever I do make the trip out it's with a plan and a list. I'll literally have a list of authors, book names, and ISB numbers in my hand when I go to a book store {or library} and rarely do I give in to impulse shopping. The only time in the last year I remember giving in to impulse shopping is grabbing a book by Mary Roach called "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers". The cover had a gurney with a sheet draped body wearing a toe tag...I bought it. Incredibly funny yet oddly disturbing read.

That doesn't mean the covers aren't important, because they're generally cleverly created to have hints of what's between the covers, which is generally fun to explore and discuss.

Nosce Te Ipsum/Know Thyself - One joy shatters a hundred griefs.
The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#25 [url]

Dec 31 08 1:41 AM

I can't name a single favorite story, I was a voracious reader as a child and still own many of those books. Some stand out very clearly in my memory:
Mark Twain’s, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn,
The Borrowers by Mary Norton: a series of wonderful books about tiny people who live alongside humans.
Susan Cooper’s amazing Under Sea Over Stone series,
Alan Garner’s extraordinary series (especially ELIDOR),
...and of course Ursula K. Le Guin’s Earthsea trilogy.
I read a lot of crime and fantasy novels. Interestingly, if I’m writing fantasy, I will not read any fantasy or if I’m writing a young adult novel, I’ll not read any. It is not that you would copy them, but it’s to ensure that your don’t take on aspects of their style.
I’m not sure that any fiction I’ve read has ever inspired me to write something. I always feel that story has been told, but non-fiction always sparks ideas.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#26 [url]

Jan 3 09 1:35 AM

Did anyone get some new books for Christmas, or pick something new up in the sales? I got Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance, and I really enjoyed it, i've already read her 3 "Cassandra Clare" vampire/magic/time travel novels and I look forwards to book 4 this year, Midnight's Daughter starts a new series and feature a dhampir (half vamp hybrid) daughter of one of the lead vamps from her Cassandra series, a neat twist as we get some characters that we're already familiar with but from a totally different point of view, it was realy action packed with an excellent lead up to Dorina's (the heroine) battle with her insane uncle..Dracula!

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jan 3 09 2:25 AM

I got a few new books for Christmas, um fair warning, I do seem to have odd tastes:

Johnny Tremaine by Esther Forbes
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling
I Have Abandoned My Search for Truth and Am Now Looking for a Good Fantasy by Ashleigh Brilliant
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide {to the Galaxy} by Douglas Adams

The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#28 [url]

Jan 3 09 2:41 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ January 03, 2009 03:25 am)
I got a few new books for Christmas, um fair warning, I do seem to have odd tastes:

Johnny Tremaine by Esther Forbes
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling
I Have Abandoned My Search for Truth and Am Now Looking for a Good Fantasy by Ashleigh Brilliant
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide {to the Galaxy} by Douglas Adams

Then I must be a member of the odd club too..(no commenting on that mod team! flamelssecret/hysterical.gif ) I own three on your list! But I haven't heard of the Esther Forbes one or the Ashleigh Brilliant one, what are they like?

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jan 3 09 2:53 AM

Ashleigh Brilliant is...well...brilliant. He has such great wit and comes up with snappy {and very copyrighted} sayings encapsulated in 17 words or less, called Pot Shots. Like:
Doing it wrong fast is at least better than doing it wrong slowly.
I want to reach your mind...where is it currently located.
Inside every older person there's a younger person wondering what happened.
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word, and unlimited power.
Stuff like that, although he was a professor of history at one point and did write a singular serious work: The Great Car Craze: How Southern California Collided with the Automobile
Esther Forbes' Johnny Tremain is a classic novel, about a young apprentice who is horribly injured in a 'prank' that caused his thumb and palm to be fused together after he was burned by molten silver. He goes on to another job based in Boston, during the American Revolution, and gets to meet so many historical characters.
It's a great story that I had to get for one of my classes.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jan 3 09 3:30 AM

Who are you favourite authors? J. K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer, Michael Scott...there are more, but I can't remember right now (I'll add more later)
What are your favourite genres? Fantasy...pretty much anything that provides an escape from the "real" world
What is your all time #1 favourite book? This is very tough, and I don't think I can pick just ONE...I'd have to say the Harry Potter series.
What else are you reading right now? "Harry, A History" by Melissa Anelli, re-reading The Alchemyst and The Magician, and going to pick up The Vampire Academy books the next trip to Borders.
If you could name one book that left you speechless or made a huge mark on your life or imagination, what is it? Once again...can't name just one-I would say the Harry Potter series and the Twilight Saga (mostly because I have never experienced such an obsession with books before reading these stories).

user posted image
Aura color:Bright Red/Dark Green
Aura scent: Chocolate

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#31 [url]

Jan 3 09 3:56 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ January 02, 2009 08:53 pm)

Esther Forbes' Johnny Tremain is a classic novel, about a young apprentice who is horribly injured in a 'prank' that caused his thumb and palm to be fused together after he was burned by molten silver. He goes on to another job based in Boston, during the American Revolution, and gets to meet so many historical characters.

Oh my gosh! i totally remember reading that for 8th grade english and i remember being surprised that i actually liked it, I wasnt such a reader at that age so i didnt like too many things outside of sci fi and mysteries.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#32 [url]

Jan 3 09 4:43 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ January 03, 2009 03:53 am)
Ashleigh Brilliant is...well...brilliant. He has such great wit and comes up with snappy {and very copyrighted} sayings encapsulated in 17 words or less, called Pot Shots. Like:

Doing it wrong fast is at least better than doing it wrong slowly.
I want to reach your mind...where is it currently located.
Inside every older person there's a younger person wondering what happened.
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word, and unlimited power.

Stuff like that, although he was a professor of history at one point and did write a singular serious work: The Great Car Craze: How Southern California Collided with the Automobile

I like the sound of Ashleigh Brilliant's book..I actually like the idea of both of them, but i think i'll have to check out Ashleigh's first as it sounds so different to anything that i've read of late! Thanks for the tip Joy!

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jan 3 09 6:05 AM

Favorite authors-Michael Scott, J.K Rowling, Angie Sage, Jeanne DuPrau and Diana Wynne Jones

Favorite genre-Fantasy, Magic, Myth

Favorite book-The Alchemyst and The Magician

What I'm reading right now-The chronicles of Crestomanci, The City of Ember series, Inkspell and I'm re-reading The Alchemyst and Magician

Book that left me speechless-I'll have to come back to this one........

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jan 3 09 4:12 PM

About to start reading The Prince by Machiavelli. You know i just told my dad that i downloaded The Prince, he said by machiavelli on his own. He said that it is a great book. Then he is telling me right now about how his political style is similar to an old indian ruler's minister.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jan 3 09 10:14 PM

Who are you favourite authors?
Chistopher Paolini, Rick Riordan, Michael Scott, Cinca Williams Chima

What are your favourite genres?
Fantasy/Sci Fi

What is your all time #1 favourite book?
Brisingr By Christopher Paolini

What else are you reading right now?
The Dragon Heir By Cinda Williams Chima.

If you could name one book that left you speechless or made a huge mark on your life or imagination, what is it?
I'm not totally sure about this one, but on the top of my mind,
The Inheritance Series greatly impacted my writing.

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jan 4 09 6:24 PM

Well, sometimes when a cover really interests me I pick the book and read the description of it, then I decide if I want to read it or not.

And for Christmas, I got Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams, that's the book I'm reading now, it's pretty exciting

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#37 [url]

Jan 6 09 5:30 AM

QUOTE (~Kat.Flow~ @ January 04, 2009 07:24 pm)
Well, sometimes when a cover really interests me I pick the book and read the description of it, then I decide if I want to read it or not.

And for Christmas, I got Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams, that's the book I'm reading now, it's pretty exciting

I've heard of Tunnels, but I haven't read it yet, what did you think think of it Kat? (that's if you've had a chance to finish it!)

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#38 [url]

Jan 6 09 1:36 PM

For me, covers are way important! There is a book that i pick up everytime i go to the bookstore that i have yet to buy. I pick it up cause the cover is so intriguing, i just dont know if the book is any good!

Im about to finish City of Bones from The Mortal Intruments series and i really like it!!! I cant wait to read the next one and thankfully, the 3rd and final book is coming out in March! flamelssecret/icon_bounce.gif

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jan 6 09 9:08 PM

I'm about to start The Dark is Rising series which my Nana got me for Christmas and the 5 People You Meet in Heaven, which was also from her.

Does anyone like Graphic Novels?
I love Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series and also The Books of Magic and my brother got me Hatter M as I love Ben Templesmith's graphics. (He's the chap who draws for 30 Days of Night...which I also love)

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#40 [url]

Jan 7 09 1:26 PM

What represents a 'Graphic' novel? A book filled with pictures? flamelssecret/hysterical.gif kidding!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help