Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

Lead

Nov 26 08 3:25 PM

Tags : :

Member Andrew Quinn suggested a thread where everyone could talk about the books they like to read in general, and Michael Scott is a great reader (as well as being a busy writer!) and asked for a thread where we could do just that too! So here you are guys!
Who are your favourite authors?
What are your favourite genres?
What is your all time #1 favourite book?
What else are you reading right now?
If you could name one book that left you speechless or made a huge mark on your life or imagination, what is it?

I think this topic will be very interesting for everyone, and I wouldn't be suprised if we have more than our Immortal Flamel series in common!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#1 [url]

Nov 26 08 3:37 PM

I'll go first...

Favorite Authors -
Jeff Noon and Chuck Palahniuk are pretty close at the top of my list, their writing style is fantastic. Also Max Barry and Will Christopher Baer are right up there.

Favorite Genres -
fantasy(certain types), murder/mystery books but my favorites are books that are more character driven.

All Time Favorite Book -
It's a toss up between Time Line by Michael Crichton, because I wish I could travel back to the medieval time period, even just for a day, and Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, read it, and you'll understand, it's a pretty powerful book.

Reading Now -
The Gaudi Key by Esteban Martin and Andreu Carranza. It's about secrets hidden by the architect Antonio Gaudi, it's in the vein of Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code (also two of my favoites)

Book that left me 'speechless' -
Pretty much most of the stuff the Chuck Palahniuk has written, namely Survivor, Invisible Monsters and Fight Club

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#2 [url]

Nov 26 08 3:41 PM

Who are you favourite authors?
Orson Scott Card

Sci/fi, magic, fantasy, mystery

ENDER'S GAME! LOVE IT! (the whole series in fact is wonderful including the bean series)

Im almost done with a reread of Eragon then its on to Eldest (again) and then finally reading Brsinger. But i have a huge list of to read books after this including a reread of The Alchemyst and the Magician.

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#3 [url]

Nov 26 08 4:31 PM

Well I wasn't much of a reader (cause i had no time) until i met some amazing people that suggested some amazing books. You know who you are!

Stephenie Meyer has to be my favourite. Followed by J.K. Rowling of course. I also really like P.C Cast and Micheal Scott of course!
There is also a french author called Anique Poitras that i like, although i havent read many of her books. One that i read had a particular impact when i was young!

Fantasy/Adventure/Mystery. Anything that includes, mystical beings, wizards, ghost, etc

Twilight of course!

Untamed from the House of Night series by P.C and Kristin Cast. Another great vampire story. Next on the list to read is City of Bones. Hopefully, it will be good! flamelssecret/pray.gif

If you could name one book that left you speechless or made a huge mark on your life or imagination, what is it?
Twilight obviously. It affected my life in every way possible. Took me months to come back to reality....
Also, i read Anique Poitras' book called Lumière Blanche back in Junior high and it was the story of a young girl that finds her first love and then he dies. It was so tragic and sad and so good. The story then becomes a series where she evolves throughout the books. Its a story that i have kept close to my heart and still read now and then!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 26 08 4:32 PM

my favourite authors are jk rowling, michael scott, clive cussler, paulo coelho, sir arthur onan doyle, eoin colfer, c.s. lewis, jeffery archer, dan brown....

genre : fantasy, magic, mystery....

can't name one book as my all time favourite....

i am reading an old mystery novel the ashiel mystery and the manual of the warrior of light by paulo coelho....

and one book that left me speechless was the prisoner of birth by jeffery archer....

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#5 [url]

Nov 26 08 4:45 PM

I have always been a huge reader. And I love to share what I read. So here goes....

Alexandre Dumas, JK Rowling, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Cassandra Clare

Fantasy, SciFi, and paranormal romance. Pretty much anything involving the supernatural, magic, etc.

The Count of Monte Cristo. It's a classic - but it's awesome.

Oohh - this list is actaully very long. I read books the way many people follow tv shows - lots at a time. All Men Are Brothers (Pearl S. Buck translation), Runemarks (thanks for the suggestion Zeph), Phantom of the Opera, Last of the Mohicans (again), Dark Elves (there's that paranormal romance addiction coming in), Seeing Red, and the Wizard Heir.

If you could name one book that left you speechless or made a huge mark on your life or imagination, what is it? I will have to come back to that one. I am not sure I can easily answer that.

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#6 [url]

Nov 26 08 4:47 PM

QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ November 26, 2008 12:45 pm)
Alexandre Dumas

The Count of Monte Cristo. It's a classic - but it's awesome.

I 100% totally and completely agree with you.

I can't believe that slipped my mind!

Count of Monte Cristo is PHENOMENAL!

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 27 08 4:25 PM

Favorite Authors:
Orson Scott Card, Lewis Carroll, Harry Harrison, Terry Pratchett, Michael Scott (of course!), Tanith lee, Alan Moore, Philip Jose Farmer

Favorite Genres:
Science Fiction, humor, horror

All-time #1 book:
Can't think of just one!

Reading right now:
Judge Dredd - The Complete Case Files #10

One book that left me speechless:
Tik-Tok by John Sladek

--- Andy

Aura color: Tartan
Scent: Sure for Men

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#8 [url]

Nov 30 08 2:35 AM

William Blake, Lewis Carrol, Arthur C Clarke, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Philip KDick, George Orwell, Michael Scott.
Virginia Andrews, Jane Austen, The Bronte Sisters, Agatha Christie, Melissa De La Cruz, Joanne Harris, Stephenie Meyer, J K Rowling, Anne Rice.

Magic, mystery, mythology, fantasy, sci -fi, historical, para-romance.

A Study in Scarlett, it was the very first Sherlock Holmes mystery I read.

Re-reading Runemarks by Joanne Harris, re-reading The Alchemyst and The Magician (constantly for quotes lol!), City of Ashes (thanks Dreaming!) Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, re-reading The Malice Box by Martin Langfield, The Magician's Law by Michael Scott.

A children's book actually, I was given it for my 5th birthday (and I still treasure it!) it is the true sequel to 101 Dalmations by Dodie Smith and is called the Starlight Barking (obviously also by Dodie Smith) and tells of what happens when Sirius the dog star puts all humans to sleep for 24 hours to give all the dogs in the world the offer to go live with him and end his lonlieness, so they'll never know hunger, fear, cruelty or abandonment ever again.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#10 [url]

Dec 1 08 12:38 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 30, 2008 03:42 am)
I have a question for everyone who posted in this thread. What makes your all time number one favorite book your all time number one favorite book?

My #1 book, A study in Scarlett by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

In my case it was because I couldn't figure out for the life of me who it was that committed the crime, until Sherlock explained the whole plot! I was so used to working out who did the crimes of all the other mystery books i'd read, to find an author who could baffle me was a revelation and a delight!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#11 [url]

Dec 1 08 4:28 PM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 29, 2008 09:42 pm)
I have a question for everyone who posted in this thread. What makes your all time number one favorite book your all time number one favorite book?

The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite because it is a complicated plot about a not very complicated thing. And the message about revenge - the power of it and the consequences of it - are tremendously powerful. The imagery is great - I can totally picture every little detail of every scene in my head (the same way with my favorite scene from The Alchemyst - the description of the World Tree- which I hope will be topped in one of the next books). Plus, there are enough "gaps" early on that caused me to speculate about what would happen next every time I had to put the book down. Then, there is the presence of a few scenes that aren't really well explained and my imagination was free to fill in the rest. It is also really a story about friendship and love and loyalty and stories like that have special meaning to me for lots of reasons.

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dec 1 08 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ November 26, 2008 03:25 pm)
Member Andrew Quinn suggested a thread where everyone could talk about the books they like to read in general, and Michael Scott is a great reader (as well as being a busy writer!) and asked for a thread where we could do just that too! So here you are guys!

I think this topic will be very interesting for everyone, and I wouldn't be suprised if we have more than our Immortal Flamel series in common!

Michael Scott, Robert Jordon, Tamora Pierce, Rachel Roberts, Eoin Colfer, James Patterson, R.A Salvatore, Shakespeare, Chris Wooding, Brian Jacques, Kristen Britain, Rick Riordan, Lloyd Alexander, Alison Croggon Robert Asprin, IIona Andrews,Charles Dickens, Mark Twain

Fantasy, Science fiction, Historical fiction, and mysteries

It's a set of books called "The Dark Elf Trilogy " by R.A Salvatore and it's simply amazing!

I'm rereading "Maximum Ride :The Angel experiment" by James Patterson. The funny thing is, I just finished it yesterday!

That's a tough question. i can't decide. I'll post the answer later.

Sorry this post is so long!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Dec 4 08 12:07 AM

J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, Michael Scott, Shakespeare and Stephenie Meyer

Fantasy/Suspense/Mystery

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" it's my favorite because since I was in third grade of elementary school I grew up with the HP books. This is obviously special for being the last one and the one that made me cry.

Mmm, Fahrenheit 401, it's not bad.

Well, the Harry Potter series are really important for me.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 4 08 1:10 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 30, 2008 02:42 am)

Magic Tree House #4 the first book i read on my own and it was because i was sick at home. before then i hated reading with a passion. i had listend to the frist 3 be read to me but i read the whole fourth book on my own. It caused me to love reading and for that I'm very greatful.

?!? TRANSMUTATION ?!?

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Dec 6 08 2:22 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ November 30, 2008 02:35 am)

Jane Austen, Neil Gaiman (when I die I want to kidnap Tim Burton and live with him in Neil Gaiman's brain), Susanna Clarke, Cornelia Funke (if you like books and you like magic and books about some magic occuring, go and read the Inkheart series before the film comes out), JK Rowling, Joanne Harris, Tom Holt, Gregory Maguire, Jenny Nimmo, Michael Scott (new entry) Douglas Adams, Eoin Colfer ('nother new entry) William
Goldman (pretty much just for The Princess Bride)

Anything that bears no resemblence to 21st century living as it actually occurs. Nothing too factual or realistic, unless it uses a lot of mythology or folklore.

It's the HP series, I have read them all so much and they never get boring. When I'm sick they are the books I want. When I can't sleep they are the books I read. I know them better than I know anything else and so it's like going home when I pick one up. I suppose I should have chosen something a bit culty or arty or classic to showcase my huge mind-tank and cultural prowess but it'd be a lie.

Beedle The Bard, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (again) The Sandman Series (GN)

Jenny Nimmo's The Snow Spider trilogy when I was about 10. I never quite fully left that book and it shows.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Dec 6 08 4:51 PM

Meyer & Scott
Fantasy and mystery
I think all the Harry Potter Books and Breaking Dawn but i cant chose one
Anne Rice, i've already read Interview with the vampire, lestat the vampire and The queen of...( insert the word here) and today a friend is going to lend me the fourth book of the saga.
If you could name one book that left you speechless or made a huge mark on your life or imagination, what is it?[I]
I think is " Misterio en el cabo polonio"(Mystery on the "cabo polonio") a book that i read when i was kid of 11 years and thanks to that i started to read.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Dec 7 08 5:54 AM

Michael Scott, Anthony Horowitz, Shakespeare, Moliere, J.K. Rowling, Kaza Kingsley, D.J. Machale, William Nicholson, Christopher Paolini, Hilari Bell, Eoin Colfer, John Flanagan, George Lucas, David Clement-Davies, Jake Wizner, Stephine Meyer

Comedy, Sci-fi, Fantesy

Magic Tree House #4

Currently just re-reading the alchemist for missed details.

its acctually a play i read called Addict by Jerome McDonough

?!? TRANSMUTATION ?!?

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Dec 11 08 2:14 AM

authors: JK Rowling, Michael Scott, Mary Higgins-Clark
genres: mystery, fantasy, historical fiction, teen novels
books: all Harry Potter
right now: Tales of Beedle the Bard
impacted me: Harry Potter pretty much inspired me forward when i needed inspiration most.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#19 [url]

Dec 30 08 1:36 AM

I have a question for you, the Secrets... series has beautifully designed covers, would a good cover influence your buying a book that you know nothing about?

Quote    Reply   

hitmanjls

Next Generation Elder

#20 [url]

Dec 30 08 2:14 AM

I think an interesting, story telling cover could most definitely do that!

It doesn't have to be beautiful or extravagant... Just eye catching. If you look at it and wonder what that story could be about, they've done their job.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help