Remove this ad

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#21 [url]

Nov 26 08 1:59 PM

flamelssecret/clap3.gif Bravo Nalic!
Looks like someone got the author's attention!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#22 [url]

Nov 26 08 8:05 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ November 26, 2008 01:59 pm)

You do know that I read every single post?

And while it is not possible to answer every question or respond to every point, when someone comes very close to a story thread or element, well then I feel they should be acknowledged.

There have been some really great guesses in the forum to date. In fact, I'm wondering if someone is peeking at my notes...

Michael

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Nov 26 08 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ November 26, 2008 02:05 pm)

There have been some really great guesses in the forum to date. In fact, I'm wondering if someone is peeking at my notes...

Maybe you should keep those under lock and key

I'm so proud of our members to come up with such great guesses!!! And thank you Michael for spending your time with us and applauding the members on those great guesses!! flamelssecret/clap3.gif flamelssecret/clap3.gif

user posted image
Aura color:Bright Red/Dark Green
Aura scent: Chocolate

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Nov 27 08 9:42 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ November 26, 2008 08:05 pm)
QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ November 26, 2008 01:59 pm)

You do know that I read every single post?

And while it is not possible to answer every question or respond to every point, when someone comes very close to a story thread or element, well then I feel they should be acknowledged.

Michael

Ahh how did you know i was peeking at your notes. jk ya the main reason i knew about the amazonian queen is becase of a midsummernights dream. im a shakespeare buff.

?!? TRANSMUTATION ?!?

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Nov 28 08 9:04 PM

QUOTE (Nalic @ November 26, 2008 02:38 am)
Morgan le Fay. I have always been a fan of the King Arther (Uther Pendragon) and as Excaliber is in this story could not Morgan le Fay be as well. She definetly has the evil vibe going and she could probably know Dr. John Dee as they would both live in England for a time.

flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif

That would be so cool!

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 28 08 9:45 PM

Morgan Le Fay and Arthur both there would be interesting. Morgan is supposed to be his half sister in some of the legends yet in others she is his ex lover and in others his just regular sister. It changes a lot.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#27 [url]

Nov 29 08 2:03 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 28, 2008 10:45 pm)
Morgan Le Fay and Arthur both there would be interesting. Morgan is supposed to be his half sister in some of the legends yet in others she is his ex lover and in others his just regular sister. It changes a lot.

You're quite right there Vinter, there are quite a few variants in the stories of the relationship between Morgan and Arthur I think the most commonly occurring opinion is that they were half brother/sister to each other.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Nov 29 08 2:41 AM

Yes I do believe that is the most common. I kind of do not want her in the books because I feel she will upset the plot going on with Flamel, Perry, Dee, and Machiavelli.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 29 08 4:52 AM

Like i said english mythology especially that with Uther Pendragon is my favorite so i hope we can see them in here.

?!? TRANSMUTATION ?!?

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 29 08 4:54 AM

I see. Morgan I would kind of not want there but Arthur or Uther I would like there. Merlin being there would be nice too except this is a female immortals thread but you bringing up this area of mythology it gave me an idea. In King Arthur there is the Lady of the Lake. Sometimes she is Morgan Le Fay other times she is not.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Dec 1 08 1:48 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 29, 2008 04:54 am)
I see. Morgan I would kind of not want there but Arthur or Uther I would like there. Merlin being there would be nice too except this is a female immortals thread but you bringing up this area of mythology it gave me an idea. In King Arthur there is the Lady of the Lake. Sometimes she is Morgan Le Fay other times she is not.

I was thinking lady leona of the lake would more likely be an immortal if she is in the series and i have not seen when Morgan Le Fay is the lady of the lake.

?!? TRANSMUTATION ?!?

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#32 [url]

Dec 1 08 2:20 AM

I have another candidate, Lillith. She has a complicated history that stretches back as far as the Mesopotamian and Sumarian eras, when she was regarded as a storm demon associated with wind and a bearer of disease, illness, and death. She has many names, one being Lilitu in ancient Sumer, around 4000 BC, she is mentioned as a night demon in Jewish lore and as a screech owl in the King James Bible. She was even mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls!
In all the variants of her name her character traits are never positive, a killer of children, an evil succubus, the Kabbalah depicts her as a serpent in the garden of Eden, a demon of the night, a seducer of men and gods, a killer of crops and a drinker of blood.
Some accounts depict her physically with wings, with eagle/owl like clawed feet or with a serpent lower half.
But, perhaps for me the most interesting is that she is linked to one of the tales of Gilgamesh...

QUOTE (Diane Wolkenstein & Samuel Kramer)

"Diane Wolkenstein translates the passage as:
a serpent who could not be charmed made its nest in the roots of the tree,
The Anzu bird set his young in the branches of the tree,
And the dark maid Lilith built her home in the trunk"
Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Dec 1 08 3:12 AM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ December 01, 2008 02:20 am)
I have another candidate, Lillith. She has a complicated history that stretches back as far as the Mesopotamian and Sumarian eras, when she was regarded as a storm demon associated with wind and a bearer of disease, illness, and death. She has many names, one being Lilitu in ancient Sumer, around 4000 BC, she is mentioned as a night demon in Jewish lore and as a screech owl in the King James Bible. She was even mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls!
In all the variants of her name her character traits are never positive, a killer of children, an evil succubus, the Kabbalah depicts her as a serpent in the garden of Eden, a demon of the night, a seducer of men and gods, a killer of crops and a drinker of blood.
Some accounts depict her physically with wings, with eagle/owl like clawed feet or with a serpent lower half.
But, perhaps for me the most interesting is that she is linked to one of the tales of Gilgamesh...
QUOTE (Diane Wolkenstein & Samuel Kramer)

"Diane Wolkenstein translates the passage as:
a serpent who could not be charmed made its nest in the roots of the tree,
The Anzu bird set his young in the branches of the tree,
And the dark maid Lilith built her home in the trunk"

I would not suggest too many biblical figures because it could bother some readers. As for Lillith well she is most famous in pop culture for her character in the show Supernatural as a demon.

Also I have another suggestion. I think I might have gotten her name wrong but she is in the legend of how spiders came to be. Ararcane. I think that is spelled wrong.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#34 [url]

Dec 1 08 4:15 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ December 01, 2008 04:12 am)

I would not suggest too many biblical figures because it could bother some readers. As for Lillith well she is most famous in pop culture for her character in the show Supernatural as a demon.

Also I have another suggestion. I think I might have gotten her name wrong but she is in the legend of how spiders came to be. Ararcane. I think that is spelled wrong.

Lillith is far from solely a biblical character, as you can see in my post, she pre-dates the bible by 4,000 years making her first appearances in Mesopotamian and Sumarian tales.
I believe the spelling you were looking for is Arachne.
There is still a character named in the book that we haven't talked about yet..Echidna..
QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)
"The sphinx was one of the daughters of
Echidna, one of the foulest of the Elders, shunned and feared even by her own
race, even the Dark Elders."

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#35 [url]

Dec 4 08 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Nalic @ November 29, 2008 04:52 am)
Like i said english mythology especially that with Uther Pendragon is my favorite so i hope we can see them in here.
Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Dec 4 08 1:18 AM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ December 04, 2008 12:01 am)
QUOTE (Nalic @ November 29, 2008 04:52 am)

Well, I think I can guarantee you a little more Arthurian mythos. Arthur has been mentioned, as has Excalibur and Clarent and for book 3 we are in England. Michael

Yeah! I can't wait. England is my favorite place i've been to(kind of biased only been to 4 countries) and i really like reading about places i have been. Plus it will be cool to have some of my favorite myths and legends in one of my favorite series.

?!? TRANSMUTATION ?!?

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Dec 4 08 7:04 AM

Female immortals? Boudica, Queen of the Iceni...or, Ragnell, who married Sir Gawain -- since we'll learn a bit more of of the Athurian legend.

The Gorgon sisters: Medusa, Stheno, and Euryale. Medusa'd make a wonderful and formidable Elder.

Nosce Te Ipsum/Know Thyself - One joy shatters a hundred griefs.
The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#38 [url]

Dec 4 08 2:40 PM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ December 04, 2008 02:04 am)
Female immortals? Boudica, Queen of the Iceni...or, Ragnell, who married Sir Gawain -- since we'll learn a bit more of of the Athurian legend.

The Gorgon sisters: Medusa, Stheno, and Euryale. Medusa'd make a wonderful and formidable Elder.

Can you tell us why you think these would be good choices? We would love to hear why you would like to see them!

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Dec 4 08 3:22 PM

QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ December 04, 2008 08:40 am)
QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ December 04, 2008 02:04 am)
Female immortals?  Boudica, Queen of the Iceni...or, Ragnell, who married Sir Gawain -- since we'll learn a bit more of of the Athurian legend. 

The Gorgon sisters:  Medusa, Stheno, and Euryale.  Medusa'd make a wonderful and formidable Elder.

Can you tell us why you think these would be good choices? We would love to hear why you would like to see them!

Sure. When delving into Geoffrey of Monmouth for a paper at school, I actually used my family geneology along with his 'work' in order to connect my family name to King Arthur. Once I'd backtracked to the old world and managed to connect the family name to the royal family it was easy. Not only had I tracked back to Arthur, but it goes further, tracking all the way back to Rome and then to Israel, ending with Adam and Eve. It was, well, fun, but totally ludicrous to me.

Anyway, depending on which lineage you take, Arthur could be tracked back to King Ceol who in turn was connected to Boudica. To me it was one of several interesting ways to interconnect the Arthurian legend.

As for Medusa, well, I always in my mind connect her with the Hindu/Buddhist Nagas and their creation mythos. The king of the nagas, Vasuki, has the naga stone or "cobra pearl", Nagamani, as the gem in his crown {a great treasure indeed}. He was used as a rope to churn the seas of life or 'ocean of milk' to give up its many treasures, including amrita, elixer of immortality.

Of course, Mr. Scott already mentioned lamiai in the story, half-women/half-serpents, with vampiric qualities and they eat their children.
In the Vulgate, Jerome translated Lilith, the spirit in Isaiah 34:14 who conceived by Adam a brood of monsters, as lamia, thus sealing Lamia's image as a seductress in the Christian imagination.

Nosce Te Ipsum/Know Thyself - One joy shatters a hundred griefs.
The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 5 08 3:04 AM

Wow, this is a nice opportunity!

Well, I suggest "Europe". She was a woman who was kidnapped, there are two principal theories by whom she was kidnapped.

-One tell us she was kidnapped by Zeus when she was in the beach with her female attendants, Zeuz was in the form of a bull. He carried her away to Crete in his back.

-The other theory (made by Herodotus) tell us that as she was a woman of high lineage, the Minoans kidnapped her in revenge of the kidnapping of Io, a princess from Argos.

I think it would be interesting to meet the woman who gave a whole continent her name, specially her relationship with the Elder who maybe gave her inmortality, Zeus?

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help