Remove this ad

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#41 [url]

Jul 28 09 5:47 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ July 28, 2009 12:09 pm)

Let me clear up this confusion. Most of you know I was a bookseller forever, so this is a question which comes up all the time.

The first edition refers to the first print run. It will usually say First edition © 2008
If there are reprints, there will be additional dates after the first, and usually the word "reprinted."

First edition has nothing to do with "editing." All books are edited (thankfully!) When books are reprinted, it is very, very rare for any changes to be made to the text, unless a glaring error has been discovered.

Michael

Thanks so much! flamelssecret/clap3.gif I have always wondered - since I have books that I know are first printing and first editions and the numbers don't always match up that way... And I have started a small collection of my favorites - first printing and first editions, now I can confirm what I have - and what to look for!

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Aug 1 09 11:13 PM

Im sorry if this is a stupid question but in different version of the books when one of the character switches to a different language dose that language differ in each version for example in the french version when Nick slips in to french does it say he slips in to english since the book is already in french?

user posted image
Aura colour:Deep navy blue..........Aura scent: Burning Grapes
Aqua, Ignis, Terra, Aero, Tempus temporis
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
La verdadera muerte vendrá a ti

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Aug 2 09 4:25 PM

So let me get this straight

My copy of The Alchemyst Reads as Follows:

The Very last two lines of print are:

10 9 8 7 6

First Edition

The Magician

10 9

First Edition

and The Sorceress

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3

First Edition

So My copy of The Alchemyst is a First Edition 6th printing; The Magician is a First Edition 9th printing; and The Sorceress is a First Edition 3rd printing? Am I getting all of this right? I'm sure you all think I'm nuttier than squirrel turds flamelssecret/crazy.gif but I appreciate the help.

user posted image

Aether is the solitary tenant of the Universe, it gives form to matter, but matter also occupies and manipulates Aether. All Physical existence derives its geometry from Aether.
Aura color: BLACK..........Aura Scent: Russian Olive Tree..........Magical Specialty: Alchemy.......... Elemental Magic: Aether/Time

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Aug 7 09 9:22 PM

Hey!!! and what about mexico TT_TT?
We have to wait first for it to be translated then to be imported ?
thats not fair ¬o¬

**Please don't use text abbreviations in your posts!**

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Aug 27 09 3:27 AM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ July 28, 2009 05:09 pm)
QUOTE (Godsryche @ July 28, 2009 03:52 pm)
QUOTE (Melpomene @ July 28, 2009 11:45 am)
QUOTE (mr_mears @ July 28, 2009 02:13 pm)
Just a qustion... how can you tell if a book is a First Edition or not. I've see a lot of books that say frst edition but obiousley are not.

If I upload the copyright pages of my Flamel books can someone tell me if I in fact have first editions?

You don't even need to do that!

On the info page of a book where the copyright and publishers info is kept, you will see a small piece which tells you which year the edition you are looking at what published.

Below this is a string of numbers, e.g.

1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

If the 1 is present this usually indicates a first edition (assuming the words 'first edition' aren't printed on the page!)

if the string reads

3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

It'll be second edition and so on

so

25 26 27 28

Would be 25th edition (or from the 25th print run)

At least I think that's how it works!

Those numbers are the "printing" number.

the book would still be a "first edition" as "first edition" simply means it hasn't been edited at all. What you are seeing is the same thing as it was when it was first OKed for print.

The "printing numbers" tell you what batch it was printed with.

So a "First Edition - First Printing" would be of the first batch printed by the publisher.

If no edits are made and more books are needed you get the "First Edition - Second Printing" and so on.

Let me clear up this confusion. Most of you know I was a bookseller forever, so this is a question which comes up all the time.

The first edition refers to the first print run. It will usually say First edition © 2008
If there are reprints, there will be additional dates after the first, and usually the word "reprinted."

First edition has nothing to do with "editing." All books are edited (thankfully!) When books are reprinted, it is very, very rare for any changes to be made to the text, unless a glaring error has been discovered.

Michael

Not me! Mine dosen't say copyright 2008. Mine says "Text copyright 2007" because mine is an ARC. So my cover is different than the rest that I have seen since it has a gold ARC oval on it. So I believe, Mr. Scott that since I read The Alchemyst from an ARC copy, that it makes me one of the original Alchemyst fans!

user posted image
Aura: Sage
Scent: Old and New Books

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Aug 27 09 5:07 AM

QUOTE (Lucy @ August 27, 2009 03:27 am)
QUOTE (Michael Scott @ July 28, 2009 05:09 pm)

Let me clear up this confusion.  Most of you know I was a bookseller forever, so this is a question which comes up all the time.

The first edition refers to the first print run.  It will usually say First edition © 2008

First edition has nothing to do with "editing."  All books are edited (thankfully!)  When books are reprinted, it is very, very rare for any changes to be made to the text, unless a glaring error has been discovered.

Michael

Not me! Mine dosen't say copyright 2008. Mine says "Text copyright 2007" because mine is an ARC. So my cover is different than the rest that I have seen since it has a gold ARC oval on it. So I believe, Mr. Scott that since I read The Alchemyst from an ARC copy, that it makes me one of the original Alchemyst fans!

My copy says Text Copyright too.

user posted image

Aether is the solitary tenant of the Universe, it gives form to matter, but matter also occupies and manipulates Aether. All Physical existence derives its geometry from Aether.
Aura color: BLACK..........Aura Scent: Russian Olive Tree..........Magical Specialty: Alchemy.......... Elemental Magic: Aether/Time

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Sep 5 09 7:20 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ August 24, 2009 04:43 pm)
Here is the Dutch cover for The Sorceress

dosen't the title look even more magical in a different language

user posted image
Friend: Hey how's that book you got? Me: The Sorceress was great!!!! Friend: You already finished it? Me: Yeah! Friend: You only got it this morning! Me: I KNOW RIGHT!
Aura: Green
Scent: Evergreen Trees in winter like that fabreeze stuff...unhn like that

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Sep 6 09 2:56 AM

QUOTE (auraofgreen @ September 05, 2009 03:20 pm)
QUOTE (Michael Scott @ August 24, 2009 04:43 pm)
Here is the Dutch cover for The Sorceress

dosen't the title look even more magical in a different language

I know, right!?!?! What's ARC mean?

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Sep 6 09 8:01 PM

A-Advanced
R-Readers
C-Copy

That doesn't mean I am an advanced reader though. flamelssecret/hysterical.gif Just that there are early copies available before the books go out for sale.
Our librarian thought I would like it, and gave it to me. But she was wrong. I didn't like it. I loved it! flamelssecret/read.gif wub.gif

user posted image
Aura: Sage
Scent: Old and New Books

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Yuna

Awakened

#51 [url]

Dec 12 09 9:54 AM

Hello ^^

finally i can show you the german cover of the sorceress

user posted image

I dont like the green...... why green.... i love the other covers with the purple.... but green..... flamelssecret/idk.gif

if any body want to know, the german books also have a adjektiv in the title... The Alchemyst is "The Immortal Alchemyst" The Magican is "The Dark Magican" and The Sorceress is "The powerfull Sorceress"

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#52 [url]

Dec 12 09 10:18 AM

thank you for sharing that Yuna. unlike you i love the green it's different

user posted image
Ravenclaw | Ekaterina Agent | Mage
"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" ~ A. E.
Aura: RED
Scent: warm sea breeze

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Dec 12 09 1:50 PM

That's very interesting, I have to say I like it in the green. More interesting as you said is the addition on the adjective... do you know what the title of The Necromancer will be?

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#54 [url]

Dec 12 09 3:34 PM

QUOTE (Yuna @ December 12, 2009 09:54 am)
Hello ^^

finally i can show you the german cover of the sorceress

user posted image

I dont like the green...... why green.... i love the other covers with the purple.... but green.....  flamelssecret/idk.gif

if any body want to know, the german books also have a adjektiv in the title... The Alchemyst is "The Immortal Alchemyst" The Magican is "The Dark Magican" and The Sorceress is "The powerfull Sorceress"

Thank you very much for posting that Yuna, I hadn't even seen it myself! I always find it interesting when the covers are re-interpreted. I have no idea why they chose green for this cover as I don't have any input with the foreign editions, however I do think the vibrant green against the gold foiling does look very eyecatching!

Quote    Reply   

Yuna

Awakened

#55 [url]

Dec 12 09 3:52 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ Saturday, 12.December 2009, 14:50 Uhr)
That's very interesting, I have to say I like it in the green. More interesting as you said is the addition on the adjective... do you know what the title of The Necromancer will be?

Sorry i have no idea. In February 2010 the Sorceress get published. And last week we know the full name. I think next year we know the adjective of the Necromancer.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 13 09 1:14 AM

I'm from Argentina and The Sorceress hasn't come out here yet... I have asked in several bookshops and nobody knew when it would be available. And I have just entered the editorial's web page and there was no information flamelssecret/crying.gif
I want to read The Sorceress!!!!!!!!!! flamelssecret/wall_.gif

I am afraid of enter some topics in case I found a spoiler

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#57 [url]

Dec 13 09 7:06 AM

QUOTE (Paolis @ December 13, 2009 02:14 am)
I'm from Argentina and The Sorceress hasn't come out here yet... I have asked in several bookshops and nobody knew when it would be available. And I have just entered the editorial's web page and there was no information flamelssecret/crying.gif
I want to read The Sorceress!!!!!!!!!! flamelssecret/wall_.gif

I am afraid of enter some topics in case I found a spoiler

Is it the Spanish edition that you're waiting for Paolis?

Quote    Reply   

Elena

Immortal

#58 [url]

Dec 13 09 4:20 PM

I have a picture of The Magician cover in greek! But it's a bit small
Can I post it Zeph? Now that I think of it, I'll wait in case I find another one

(MUST.IMPROVE.My.ENGLISH flamelssecret/badmood.gif )

user posted image
Pottermore: GoldAccio87 | Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness..

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#59 [url]

Dec 13 09 6:24 PM

QUOTE (Helen @ December 13, 2009 05:20 pm)
I have a picture of The Magician cover in greek! But it's a bit small
Can I post it Zeph? Now that I think of it, I'll wait in case I find another one

(MUST.IMPROVE.My.ENGLISH flamelssecret/badmood.gif )

Yes Helen, you can post your photo of the cover in this thread

Quote    Reply   

Elena

Immortal

#60 [url]

Dec 13 09 6:48 PM

user posted image hm..i told you its small but I couldn't find a bigger picture,I've searched everywhere! flamelssecret/goodsigh2.gif I'll maybe scan my book (WHEN I buy it.. *sigh* ) for better quality

user posted image
Pottermore: GoldAccio87 | Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help