Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#21 [url]

Jun 2 09 12:33 AM

This thread is now open for posting..please bear in mind that The Sorceress isn't released in the UK until June 25th so try to keep all Sorceress and Necromancer spoiler discussion to the "I'm finished!" thread until July 1st!! Thank you! flamelssecret/bow.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jun 15 09 8:50 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ December 16, 2008 10:05 pm)
I thought you might like to see the Japanese cover for The Magician

Wow Mr.Scott thats a awesome book cover ! man their writing is soooo cool i've always wanted to read that LOLZ

Per veneficus adveho vox of universum
Aura color: Ice blue
Aura scent: Maple-syurp
Mastered magic: FIRE, WATER

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#23 [url]

Jun 22 09 2:37 PM

Thanks to one of our French members, Severine, we now have the French covers for the Alchemyst and the Magician for you to see.
user posted image

And thanks to one of our German members, Yuna, we also have the German covers of them for you to see.
user posted imageuser posted image

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#24 [url]

Jun 22 09 6:27 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ June 22, 2009 02:37 pm)
Thanks to one of our French members, Severine, we now have the French covers for the Alchemyst and the Magician for you to see.
user posted image

And thanks to one of our German members, Yuna, we also have the German covers of them for you to see.
Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jun 23 09 7:25 AM

The German covers are just amazing.
I can't wait to see a Sorceress one!

user posted image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aura ~ Silver..........Scent ~ Permanent Marker

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jun 23 09 8:59 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ Monday 22 June 2009 18h27)
QUOTE (Zephfire @ June 22, 2009 02:37 pm)
user posted image

Thanks Severine, This is the first time I've seen the French Magician cover! It looks great! Thank you for sending it.

Michael

This is with great pleasure!
I can't wait for start to read the books! i am sure they are wonderful!! flamelssecret/hyper_.gif

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jul 1 09 5:51 PM

I love all these covers!

user posted image
Friend: Hey how's that book you got? Me: The Sorceress was great!!!! Friend: You already finished it? Me: Yeah! Friend: You only got it this morning! Me: I KNOW RIGHT!
Aura: Green
Scent: Evergreen Trees in winter like that fabreeze stuff...unhn like that

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jul 3 09 7:55 PM

QUOTE (Ectw101 @ January 17, 2009 01:48 am)

I just thought that people might find this interesting, on the Japanese cover, I believe that there is something that's not on the US cover, it says the number 2 right below the three big characters says the Magician, and I assume that the number refers to the series number, I found that interesting because we don't see it there.

This is an interesting observation...

I speak a bit of Japanese and in some cases you might be correct about the number 2, but in this case it's different...

The first three large characters read:
MA | JUTSU | SHI
All together (Majutsushi) meaning Magician, of course.

Underneath the three large characters, the smaller characters read:
NI | KO | RO <> MA | KYA | BE | RI
All together (Nikoro Makyaberi) meaning Niccolo Machiavelli.

The character NI (used in NIKORO) is often used for the number 2, but as seen here it is used as part of a name.

And on another note, it seems a bit misleading to me that Niccolo Machiavelli's name is underneath "Magician". I was under the impression that Dr. John Dee is the magician of the family, seeing as he's constantly referred to as...the magician.

Hope that was interesting to someone!

-Nate

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#30 [url]

Jul 5 09 4:40 AM

QUOTE (ngonzalz @ July 03, 2009 08:55 pm)

I just thought that people might find this interesting, on the Japanese cover, I believe that there is something that's not on the US cover, it says the number 2 right below the three big characters says the Magician, and I assume that the number refers to the series number, I found that interesting because we don't see it there.

I speak a bit of Japanese and in some cases you might be correct about the number 2, but in this case it's different...

MA | JUTSU | SHI

The character NI (used in NIKORO) is often used for the number 2, but as seen here it is used as part of a name.

And on another note, it seems a bit misleading to me that Niccolo Machiavelli's name is underneath "Magician". I was under the impression that Dr. John Dee is the magician of the family, seeing as he's constantly referred to as...the magician.

-Nate

I found that interesting, thank you for the insight! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jul 8 09 5:44 PM

Just wondering, why is Ireland not on the list?

Hah! Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be ingesting them,along with this modest slice of humble pie cooked in the oven of shame, at gas mark egg on your face -Moss, The I.T. Crowd
Why, its already a word Richard-Tnettenba-Moss
Hello, I.T., have you tried turning it off and back on again?-Roy

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#32 [url]

Jul 8 09 7:08 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ July 05, 2009 04:40 am)
QUOTE (ngonzalz @ July 03, 2009 08:55 pm)

MA | JUTSU | SHI

-Nate

I found that interesting, thank you for the insight! flamelssecret/clap3.gif
Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#33 [url]

Jul 8 09 7:11 PM

QUOTE (C.Toye @ July 08, 2009 05:44 pm)
Just wondering, why is Ireland not on the list?

We are only listing the countries which actually publish the books. The Flamel series is published by Random House UK, who then sell into Ireland, but no Irish publisher has rights.

I am hoping however, that the Irish language rights will be taken up. I would love to see it in Irish!

Michael

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jul 8 09 9:31 PM

QUOTE (ngonzalz @ July 03, 2009 02:55 pm)

MA | JUTSU | SHI

-Nate

Haha, well I know three characters in Japanese, 1, 2, and 3, so I'd bet you're right. Lol.
Well, thanks for that info, that was inteeresting.

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jul 28 09 2:13 PM

Just a qustion... how can you tell if a book is a First Edition or not. I've see a lot of books that say frst edition but obiousley are not.

If I upload the copyright pages of my Flamel books can someone tell me if I in fact have first editions?

user posted image

Aether is the solitary tenant of the Universe, it gives form to matter, but matter also occupies and manipulates Aether. All Physical existence derives its geometry from Aether.
Aura color: BLACK..........Aura Scent: Russian Olive Tree..........Magical Specialty: Alchemy.......... Elemental Magic: Aether/Time

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 28 09 3:45 PM

QUOTE (mr_mears @ July 28, 2009 02:13 pm)
Just a qustion... how can you tell if a book is a First Edition or not. I've see a lot of books that say frst edition but obiousley are not.

If I upload the copyright pages of my Flamel books can someone tell me if I in fact have first editions?

You don't even need to do that!

On the info page of a book where the copyright and publishers info is kept, you will see a small piece which tells you which year the edition you are looking at what published.

Below this is a string of numbers, e.g.

1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

If the 1 is present this usually indicates a first edition (assuming the words 'first edition' aren't printed on the page!)

if the string reads

3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

It'll be second edition and so on

so

25 26 27 28

Would be 25th edition (or from the 25th print run)

At least I think that's how it works!

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#39 [url]

Jul 28 09 3:52 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ July 28, 2009 11:45 am)

On the info page of a book where the copyright and publishers info is kept, you will see a small piece which tells you which year the edition you are looking at what published.

1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

If the 1 is present this usually indicates a first edition (assuming the words 'first edition' aren't printed on the page!)

if the string reads

3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

so

25 26 27 28

Those numbers are the "printing" number.

the book would still be a "first edition" as "first edition" simply means it hasn't been edited at all. What you are seeing is the same thing as it was when it was first OKed for print.

The "printing numbers" tell you what batch it was printed with.

So a "First Edition - First Printing" would be of the first batch printed by the publisher.

If no edits are made and more books are needed you get the "First Edition - Second Printing" and so on.

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#40 [url]

Jul 28 09 5:09 PM

QUOTE (Godsryche @ July 28, 2009 03:52 pm)
QUOTE (Melpomene @ July 28, 2009 11:45 am)

1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

if the string reads

3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

so

25 26 27 28

Those numbers are the "printing" number.

the book would still be a "first edition" as "first edition" simply means it hasn't been edited at all. What you are seeing is the same thing as it was when it was first OKed for print.

The "printing numbers" tell you what batch it was printed with.

So a "First Edition - First Printing" would be of the first batch printed by the publisher.

If no edits are made and more books are needed you get the "First Edition - Second Printing" and so on.

Let me clear up this confusion. Most of you know I was a bookseller forever, so this is a question which comes up all the time.

The first edition refers to the first print run. It will usually say First edition © 2008
If there are reprints, there will be additional dates after the first, and usually the word "reprinted."

First edition has nothing to do with "editing." All books are edited (thankfully!) When books are reprinted, it is very, very rare for any changes to be made to the text, unless a glaring error has been discovered.

Michael

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help