Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jan 11 09 6:06 PM

QUOTE (kmaWriter @ January 03, 2009 01:42 am)
I was doing a little research, and i found that Warlocks were specialized in the use of Fire Magic, and maybe Josh will be more skillful with this magic, therefore i also assume that he will be the Warlock, and he might turn to the dark side a bit...

Interesting find, however why are we so sure that one of the twins will become evil, and even if, why Josh? During the Magician, there's a point when it says "Sophie realized, she didn't fully trust the Alchemyst either". I'm just saying, what if one good and one evil is a misinterpritation.

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Jan 11 09 7:04 PM

QUOTE (Ectw101 @ January 11, 2009 06:06 pm)
I was doing a little research, and i found that Warlocks were specialized in the use of Fire Magic, and maybe Josh will be more skillful with this magic, therefore i also assume that he will be the Warlock, and he might turn to the dark side a bit...

Interesting find, however why are we so sure that one of the twins will become evil, and even if, why Josh? During the Magician, there's a point when it says "Sophie realized, she didn't fully trust the Alchemyst either". I'm just saying, what if one good and one evil is a misinterpritation.

It doesn't say anywhere that one will become evil. It says 'One to save and one to destroy' but it doesn't neccesarily follow that by having the ability to destroy, the one who is must therefore be evil. The capability to destroy could easily come from lack of action as action itself and that isn't evil.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Jan 11 09 7:07 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ January 11, 2009 07:04 pm)
QUOTE (Ectw101 @ January 11, 2009 06:06 pm)

It doesn't say anywhere that one will become evil. It says 'One to save and one to destroy' but it doesn't neccesarily follow that by having the ability to destroy, the one who is must therefore be evil. The capability to destroy could easily come from lack of action as action itself and that isn't evil.

True... by evil, I basically meant to destroy, although i guess it didn't come out the way I wanted.

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#44 [url]

Jan 23 09 8:08 AM

QUOTE (kmaWriter @ January 03, 2009 02:42 am)

What do you think Josh would do if he turns? Would he then seek to vent his frustration on Nicholas do you think? Would he join Dr Dee or maybe even Machiavelli? Would he surrender the pages of the Codex...or try and get the Codex for himself and Sophie? Would he seek out Mars once again, to get some answers to his many questions?

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Jan 25 09 6:59 AM

I don't see Josh surrendering the Codex, which tells me he doesn't trust Dee or Machiavelli. But you know, I don't see him giving them back to Nicholas either.
----If Mars gave Josh a gift similar in nature to what the Witch gave Sophie, I think he'll already have answers. I do see him having further contact with the Sleeping God though, only because of his outstanding debt.

Nosce Te Ipsum/Know Thyself - One joy shatters a hundred griefs.
The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jan 25 09 4:41 PM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ January 25, 2009 06:59 am)
I don't see Josh surrendering the Codex, which tells me he doesn't trust Dee or Machiavelli. But you know, I don't see him giving them back to Nicholas either.
----If Mars gave Josh a gift similar in nature to what the Witch gave Sophie, I think he'll already have answers. I do see him having further contact with the Sleeping God though, only because of his outstanding debt.

I know this would kinda be a let down, but what if Josh loses the pages from the Codex, and they have to find it again.
What do you think Mars meant by a great debt? HE also said that Josh was right not to ask why. Why do you think that is?

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jan 25 09 5:32 PM

No, honestly in regards to Josh, now that they know what that book is, I see him and Sophie as the 'rightful' owners of the book. Once it's in their possession, even bits of it, I don't see them misplacing it or surrendering it without a fight. Josh was 'meant' to tear those pages from the book. Nick was 'meant' to give them into Josh's keeping. Pre-destiny. The Twins were 'meant' to have the book.
----To me, Mars was weighing Dee and Machiavelli, reading their intentions. The same for Josh. There's a latinized phrase in my signature: Nosce Te Ipsum ~ Know Thyself. Josh had to know, had to be completely sure, that this is what he wanted and would be fully committed to the process. There's no middle of the road. I'm curious now, if that somehow had to do with the Awakening of his twin sons, Romulus and Remus. Was one not truly sure they wanted the power? Not ready for it. Or not ready for the responsibility to themself and others?
-----That doesn't bode well for Sophie if she were to have been Awakened by Mars, because she's still not sure she wants the power she now has.
-----We'll just have to wait and see what demands Mars will make on Josh. To help him escape? To help him make war? To put an end to his suffering? Who knows, those demands may turn out to be for good, rather than evil.

The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jan 29 09 2:24 AM

Do you think that it's Possible that Romulus and Remus had anything to do with the Fall of Danu Talis? Not necessarily the ones who fought and the pyramid, but maybe it was really several sets of twins, but those two on the pyramid were the big reason.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#49 [url]

Feb 5 09 2:02 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ January 25, 2009 06:32 pm)
To me, Mars was weighing Dee and Machiavelli, reading their intentions. The same for Josh. There's a latinized phrase in my signature: Nosce Te Ipsum ~ Know Thyself. Josh had to know, had to be completely sure, that this is what he wanted and would be fully committed to the process. There's no middle of the road.

Do you think Josh knew for sure that awakening is what he wanted? Or could jealousy be motivating his answer? He was used to being on a level par with Sophie, her being awakened tipped that balance, could his answer to Mars have simply been his way of trying to restore the equality between them?

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Feb 5 09 6:00 PM

I don't think he truly considered the ramifications of being Awakened. With twins, there's generally a connection, a sameness even though they both know the differences between themselves. I think part of his motivation was just so that he and Sophie could be the "same" again. Part was jealousy, because she could do things that he could not. Part was fear, because her powers can be terrifying. Part was curiosity, I think that he played way too many video fantasy/quest games, but the way he's learned to think stratigically/tactically via those games has already proved useful more than once.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#51 [url]

Feb 15 09 1:22 AM

Now that Josh too is awakened, who do you think will be the more powerful, Josh or Sophie? Or will they be equals again, once he has been taught some elemental magics?

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Feb 21 09 8:44 AM

I think Josh will be stronger because of hes aura is more rare, but Sophie has more skills then he does, so for a few days i think they will be equal or sophie will be stronger

user posted image
Aura colour: Crystal blue
Aura scent: Popcorn

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Feb 21 09 12:37 PM

I don't think they'll ever be equals again, despite Sophie's assurances to Mars at the end of The Magician. At this point I can see Josh being the one who has the power to end mankind. He doens't trust Flamel, he had all the resentment of Sophie being awakened and him not and to top it off Flamel gave him Clarent, who according to the Random House blurb leaks it's darkness into the wielder...

Which makes me wonder what on earth Nic was doing giving it to him! flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif

He must have noticed that Josh is less than cordial to him, for which he has to blame himself a little as he's sidelined Josh since Sophie was awakened. He knows Josh is hurt and angry and yet he gave him a sword which would feed on this anger and then spew it right back into him!

I know Nic said Josh needed to defend himself but I wonder whether part of the reason Nic gave him the sword was a test, to see which half of the prophecy he will fulfill...it's almost as if Flamel is trying to fulfill the prophecy in it's entirety.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Feb 21 09 3:54 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ February 21, 2009 06:37 am)
I don't think they'll ever be equals again, despite Sophie's assurances to Mars at the end of The Magician. At this point I can see Josh being the one who has the power to end mankind. He doens't trust Flamel, he had all the resentment of Sophie being awakened and him not and to top it off Flamel gave him Clarent, who according to the Random House blurb leaks it's darkness into the wielder...
What do you think of the possibility that they are both equally as strong as the other, yet opposite. Sun/moon...ying/yang? Excalibur, sword of Ice, can only be countered by its twin sword, Clarent, Sword of Fire. So what if the Awakened twins are unequaled in strength, equal in power, yet each if in conflict with the other, can only battle to a stalemate. ~ Course one wonders if that could be true then how did the original twins destroy and sink Danu Talis?
Which makes me wonder what on earth Nic was doing giving it to him!  flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif
I've thought about that too. The sword seemed to increase his physical stamina and power up his aura, he ran without ever becoming winded and actually went from a slow jog to a fast run...across Paris; it even seemed that the sword could move/act on it's own while in Josh's hand. Could this be what Nick meant when he said he 'was determined to protect ' Josh? Did he know that the unAwakened Josh could be strengthened by the power of that sword and that the sword would move to act?

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Feb 23 09 12:28 AM

There is this one dude, Vardan. He is classified as a one-eyes necromancer and warlock. Best I can do...

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Feb 28 09 11:11 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ February 21, 2009 03:54 pm)
Course one wonders if that could be true then how did the original twins destroy and sink Danu Talis?

Perhaps it was precisely the fact they couldn't defeat each other that caused the downfall? If they were locked in some kind of magical battle that neither could really gain an advantage in there would have been a lot of magical and auric power sparking everywhere, it could have been this which destablised Danu Talis and caused it to sink.

Perhaps it's destruction was a side effect from a battle which couldn't be won? The prophecy is very specific about "The One That Is All" Perhaps if the One is divided, i.e. one to save, one to destoy.... that is when things go wrong. Maybe it isn't about one good twin and one 'evil' twin, maybe it's about division versus unity.

To back this theory up, look at what Sophie and Josh accomplish in The Magician when they do work together...they achieve what Sophie couldn't alone (with help from Joan and Germain too!)

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#57 [url]

Feb 28 09 3:11 PM

I could be remembering wrong, however I believe i read somewhere that there was a river nearby Danu Talis that was flooding while the twins were fighting on top of the pyramid. And I think ultimately that is what caused Danu Talis to sink. That being said it is very likely that one of the original twins caused that flood in the process of the battle.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Mar 19 09 2:14 AM

Um, I think the Flood was first, and the Elder Race survived, but on the Pyramids (ooh, a capital letter)were last, and the whole Elders-using-more-than-one-Elemental-Magic-at-a-time thing helped to sink Danu Talis. And how do you say the Danu part? flamelssecret/idk.gif

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

hitmanjls

Next Generation Elder

#59 [url]

Mar 19 09 12:00 PM

QUOTE (silvertouch @ March 18, 2009 09:14 pm)
And how do you say the Danu part? flamelssecret/idk.gif

Dawn oo Taw lis

is the general pronouncement in the audiobook.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#60 [url]

Apr 8 09 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Spacecadet @ February 28, 2009 04:11 pm)
I could be remembering wrong, however I believe i read somewhere that there was a river nearby Danu Talis that was flooding while the twins were fighting on top of the pyramid. And I think ultimately that is what caused Danu Talis to sink. That being said it is very likely that one of the original twins caused that flood in the process of the battle.

Do you think one of them used water magic to deliberatley summon the flood, or do you think it was a side effect of their fight?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help