Remove this ad

hitmanjls

Next Generation Elder

Lead

Nov 29 10 3:35 PM

Tags : :

Now that we have a look at the new cover... What are you thoughts and theories?

user posted image
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 29 10 4:28 PM

A few things:

Upper Left: Looks like a helmet. Probably something to do with Mars, but I can't be sure.

Upper Right: I think these are the two pages of the Codex Josh has right now. As some people said there are lines coming from it that could be rays of power or light. At first I thought that those lines were meant To Represent The Two Sides (Nicholas's and Dee's) struggle to gain control over them.

Lower Left: To me it looks like Marethyu's hook, and I think that the two spirals on either side of it represent the equinoxes.

Lower Right: I don't really think it is actually part of a sarcophagus, but that it was put there just to represent pharaoh's in genreal. Maybe Tutankhamun, Akhenaten/Aten or someone along those lines will appear.

As for the center symbol there is a six-pointed star, or the Alchemical Seal of Solomon. This star was one of the most powerful magical symbols of all time. It combines the Alchemical symbols for fire and water. As the water descends and the Fire Ascends air and earth are created. This seal represents the union of the four elements and the quest for the philosopher's stone.

Also, with the lighting I noticed that on one side the lightning makes the border brighter and even looks a little brighter itself, but on the other it doesn't.
I haven't looked into the bottom Scarab or the rest of the center symbol, but to me the cover looks Egypyian maybe ith some Native American thrown in there.

That's about all I got out of it so far, but I'll keep looking.

user posted image
Aura Color- Amethyst
Aura Scent- Plums
Magical Specialty- Alchemy
Elemental Specialties- Air and Water

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 29 10 5:11 PM

(Edit: I've moved this post into this thread from 'The Warlock' thread, it's not a double post. )

So, I saw the red-blotted version of the Warlock cover first and I thought immediately: "Gosh, that looks terrible!". Then I saw the real cover and thought it looked slightly better.

What I find the most odd is that this is the first book where the color of the title will not match the frame/binding color of the book. "The Warlock" is in bright blue, whereas the binding will be gold. (Yes, I know this screams "Josh": blue eyes and gold aura.)

I've done my own internet searching for some of the things on the cover, and have read the previous posts to avoid duplicating (much) information:

Helmet: I agree with Thalion that this particular helmet design is not Roman, but Spartan. The elongated nose covering and heavier facial protection is fairly noticeable. Sparta (as many might know) was part of Greece, so calling the helmet Grecian would be more appropriate in this case. I've linked images that support my theory:

Roman Helmet: http://mayhemgifts.com/images/roman-centurian-helmet.jpg
Spartan Helmet: http://www.thecastlecourt.com/files/168984...an%20helmet.jpg

Sparta is most known for the Battle of Thermopylae, where Spartan soldiers who held out and defeated an army whose troops outnumbered their own by a great amount. This battle is used as a teaching tool in the military in order to educate soldiers that a small, well-trained and organized group can be more effective than massive numbers. The Spartan helmet could represent the twins' and the Flamels' struggle against the Dark Elders: their small, effective force against sheer and powerful numbers.

Or, everyone else could be right and it might just "represent Mars".

Ancient Text Document: I do agree with the thought that these are the pages of the Codex.

Hook: At first I thought it was a sickle, then on closer inspection (which involved leaning very close to my monitor) I thought it looked more like a pirate's hook, or "Marethyu's hook".

Egyptian Pharaoh: This is not Tutankhamun. That specific headdress was worn by many pharaohs, it is called the nemes headdress, and does not single out Tutankamun as the sole wearer. The sharper contours of the face and the angled jawline suggest more the images of Tutankhamun's father, Akhenaten (in this series: "Aten", the Elder). Tutankamun's face never reached that age of maturity, as he died at a very young age. Statues and paintings depict Tutankamun's face as rounder, more boyish.

Akhenaten: http://www.lost-civilizations.net/images/e...khenatenhat.jpg
Tutankhamun: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Money/...ankhamun460.jpg

Regarding the labyrinth: I know this is really terrible to even reference more fiction for fiction's sake, but I play Dungeons & Dragons and this excerpt from the third Player's Handbook (4th Edition) I have always found interesting:

A labyrinth is a physical representation of the spiritual and psychological journey each minotaur must undertake to make peace with his or her conflicted nature.

This spurred me into thinking 'outside the forum box' for different interpretations of a maze or a labyrinth. In my Googling, I found out an interesting tidbit that the labyrinth on the cover (twice) is actually a medieval labyrinth, the Minoan version being more simple and more rounded, less angular.

In Grecian mythology, Theseus had to escape the labyrinth and the Minotaur (lest he be eaten as a sacrifice). Using magical string as the proverbial breadcrumbs, he escaped. This way, I see the labyrinth being a symbol for overcoming a great and treacherous obstacle to triumph at the other side. This could represent Josh's journey (or that of another character).

Or everyone else could be right again and we could be meeting King Minos, Daedalus, Theseus, the Minotaur, or anyone else associated with the Greek labyrinth myth.

Other: I agree that the design in the central image is Anasazi, and that the jade Scarab is most likely the pendant that Scatty gave to Tutankhamun. I also find the number of hexagons in this cover interesting. Six (referring to the number of sides) in numerology can mean many things: Communication, Interfacing, Balance, Union, etcetera. I leave that to the very able minds to interpret and theorize off of.

Lightning can represent air, since air is transparent and sometimes hard to draw (see what I did there? ). I do find it odd that the lightning goes under one border and over another, though. It looks strange and feels foreign to the eye; it doesn't flow well.

user posted image
[ Aura: Gold ] [ Scent: Fresh Ginger ]

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 29 10 9:56 PM

This is the best day ever! THE WARLOCK COVER! THANK YOU flamelssecret/bow.gif

Magic Scent: Root Beer Aura Color: Bronze Glaze
Learned Elements: Fire, Earth
Title: Warlock
DEMONS RULE!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 29 10 10:11 PM

Figures i was looking eveywere to find the art yesterday flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif o-o

I am mana
Aura coler:Blue/green scent: natral spring
Learning:spectral magic (i think outside the bok ok Lol)
Ive read the first 3 books and im on the 4th Cant wait till the warlock comes out o-ob

Quote    Reply   

Calliope

Sorcerer

#5 [url]

Nov 30 10 12:18 AM

I think this is going to be a HUGE book for Josh - the book is going to be covered in gold after all... but yeah, I agree with Silvertwinn in that the helmet looks more Grecian than it does Roman, but this again may not mean much - we could be dealing with Mars in his Greek incarnation (Ares), so maybe some flashbacks?

I have this weird inkling that it also means they'll be going to Greece for something, and the maze in the centre of the Anasazi-looking motif makes me think of Theseus and the Minotaur, which might also explain the Greek helmet. So Silvertwinn could be right on.

Top right corner: seems pretty obvious to me that it denotes the Codex in some form.

I think the scarab represents Tutankhamen, but I don't think the same about the bust of the Pharaoh in the bottom right corner. I think that has more to do with Mach's elder Aken-Aten.

Thunderbolts seem to mean Odin to me... not sure why...

Bottom left: The Hook-Handed Man. 'Nuff said

One thing though, why is there the repetition of Alchemy symbols around the inner maze?

@Silver: I think the lightning going under only one border adds depth to it from a graphic point of view.

user posted image

Aura Colour: Jade 
Aura Scent: Black Tea and Chocolate

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 30 10 1:17 AM

Love the color of this book. Looks amazing. And for the little circle thingy's in the corners I agree with most of everyone's guesses as to what they could mean.
And if my memory serves my correct were dealing maybe with stuff to do with the time around when the Greek/Romans took over as the next great empire from Ancient Egypt (this is totally guesses by the way). Though I think we are leaning a bit towards the Ancient Greek side, what with the helmet, the labyrinth, and the lightning.

And to add with my guess of the Lightning, IF there is something to do with Ancient Greece in this the lightning could represent Zeus, king of the gods. Only a guess though (spurred on by my love of PJO ).

I would love it if there was some stuff on Ancient Greece though, I'm such a nerd when it comes to the myths and stories of hero's/Gods when it comes to that. Even Ancient Egyptian gods too.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 30 10 1:50 AM

The majority of Silvertwinn's post is epic, but I found this section confusing:

QUOTE (Silvertwinn @ November 29, 2010 01:11 pm)
In my Googling, I found out an interesting tidbit that the labyrinth on the cover (twice) is actually a medieval labyrinth, the Minoan version being more simple and more rounded, less angular.

I'm looking at the labyrinth... and I just don't see how you can get a labyrinth to be more rounded than that one is. Confuzzled.

user posted image
Aura color: deep chocolate brown Magic scent: cacao
"I've got a Facebook. And I utterly hate the games. I would much rather waste my time spouting useless information and complaining about my life than waste it trying to take care of virtual corn." - silvertouch
"Kai su, teknon?"-Julius Caesar's last words, Greek for "Even you, my child?"

Quote    Reply   

The Will

Sorcerer

#8 [url]

Nov 30 10 2:15 AM

Well it's corners are squared. Kinda. I guess. Maybe.

aura: Blue Smell:Cofee
user posted image
Art is dead. So people think you're funny? How'd you get those peoples money. ~ Art is Dead

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 30 10 2:25 AM

<gasp!> The cover! flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif flamelssecret/hyper_.gif flamelssecret/faint.gif

Is it just me or do the wings on the bottom-center look like the wings from the Zoroastrianism symbol? On the other hand, I could be totally wrong.

user posted image
The Enchantress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
May 22, 2012 | Official Fan Site | Official Author's Site

Aura: Purple.........Scent: Cinnamon.........Elemental Magic: Earth and Water.........Specialty: Magician and Warlock

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#10 [url]

Nov 30 10 2:58 AM

QUOTE (phvolt220 @ November 29, 2010 08:25 pm)
<gasp!> The cover! flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif flamelssecret/hyper_.gif flamelssecret/faint.gif

Is it just me or do the wings on the bottom-center look like the wings from the Zoroastrianism symbol? On the other hand, I could be totally wrong.

actually im not 100% sure but i think they might be the wings of isis.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Nov 30 10 3:41 AM

Upper right corner looks like the codex pages to me, but I can't be sure.

Bottom right could mean either Aten steps into the struggle, or something with Osiris

Bottom left is prob Marethyu, but I'm not ruling out Chronos

Upper left: this might be a little far fetched, but what if it has to do with Joan?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 30 10 4:57 AM

QUOTE (Romulus @ November 29, 2010 05:50 pm)

In my Googling, I found out an interesting tidbit that the labyrinth on the cover (twice) is actually a medieval labyrinth, the Minoan version being more simple and more rounded, less angular.

I'm looking at the labyrinth... and I just don't see how you can get a labyrinth to be more rounded than that one is. Confuzzled.

TW got it. Kind of. On the inside, the lines of the maze have sharper corners than the Minoan one, which has softer curves for the lines of its maze. Does that make any more sense?

@Cally: That's what I figured, too. Kind of looks like the inner border and corner images are floating on top.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 30 10 6:20 PM

I am posting from school right now, and I recognize the central maze, that thing in the very center of the cover that is surrounded by glowing runes, from what we learned in histor class. It is found in a gothic cathedral, and it is supposed to symbolize your faith in God. It is not really a maze, as there is only one path. The path gets closer to the center, and then farther away to symbolize that sometimes you are close to God and in others you you lose faith a bit. The center of the maze is supposed to symbolize either understanding or heaven, I forget which, and it the end of the path. I have history next period, I will ask my teacher if it is in a specific cathedral or many.
My theories is maybe they keep getting closer to the truth/codex and then farther away again, or maybe they are going to visit the cathedral.
Your ideas?

Edit:I googled the "labrynth", I think that they are in many different catherdrals but the most famous and the closest match I can find is in Chatres in Paris, France.

Aura color: blue
Scent: apples
Elemental Magic: earth
Live long and prosper, may the stars watch over you, and may the force be with you!- from Star Trek, Eragon, and Star Wars

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 30 10 9:15 PM

Here are some things to note...

-The Egyptian Scarab (Beetle) at the Bottom Middle box

-The wings (a sign of Horus, Egyptian God) outside the box with the Scarab

-At the bottom left side circle is Marethyu's hook hand

-at the right bottom box is what looks like King Tut's Burial Mask

-at the right top circle is what looks to be the Codex

-at the top left circle is... ? (i don't know. a mask maybe)

hope this helps

QUOTE (Mist060 @ November 30, 2010 06:20 pm)
Edit:I googled the "labrynth"

I think labyrinth is spelled "labyrinth".

QUOTE (Silvertwinn @ November 29, 2010 05:11 pm)
This is not Tutankhamun. That specific headdress was worn by many pharaohs, it is called the nemes headdress, and does not single out Tutankamun as the sole wearer.

Tutanhamen's Burial Mask is one of the only burial masks we've been able to find, though. (All others have been taken by tomb robbers) That might be the reason to single out the rest. Plus his Burial Mask is one of the reasons why he's famous.

Just something to think about

Please do not post multiple times in a row instead use the edit button to modify your post. Thanks ~SC

Magic Scent: Root Beer Aura Color: Bronze Glaze
Learned Elements: Fire, Earth
Title: Warlock
DEMONS RULE!

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 30 10 10:09 PM

flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif I keep getting amazed about the covers! They keep getting better. I'm wondering how the UK cover is going to be. I f this one is amazing i can't wait to see how the enchantress is going to be! Can't wait to buy the book.

Aura color: Still needs to be dicovered
Aura scent: Caramel
Main elements used in battle:Earth and Fire (Sand and Magma)
Ability:two circle tattoos on each shoulder were he is able to concentrate his aura

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 30 10 10:27 PM

It is the best cover yet I too am amazed. I hope the Enchantress is outlined in emerald green or lime green. But this cover is beyond any of the others and they 2 are amazing and breath-taking.

The mask on the cover is more likely Aten because he will definately make an appearance, but I too hope it is King Tut's.

user posted image
Aura Color:Blue
Aura Scent:Peaches
Element:Air,Fire,Water,&Earth
The bravest and most courageous people are those who find happiness in the darkest of times.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 30 10 10:31 PM

Also notice the lines coming off of the codex... this suggests it is glowing... the gold foil it will be printed on also leads me to believe that josh will have a large roll in the book along with the codex... Joshs aura perhaps is making the two pages glow?

Aura Color: Lime Green
Aura Scent: Basil
Magics Known: Earth
Titles: Warlock, Necromancer

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Dec 1 10 12:36 AM

QUOTE (Silvertwinn @ November 30, 2010 12:57 am)
QUOTE (Romulus @ November 29, 2010 05:50 pm)

TW got it. Kind of. On the inside, the lines of the maze have sharper corners than the Minoan one, which has softer curves for the lines of its maze. Does that make any more sense?

Ah, I see. I was looking only at the curving walls. Where might I find pictures of the two to compare?

user posted image
Aura color: deep chocolate brown Magic scent: cacao
"I've got a Facebook. And I utterly hate the games. I would much rather waste my time spouting useless information and complaining about my life than waste it trying to take care of virtual corn." - silvertouch
"Kai su, teknon?"-Julius Caesar's last words, Greek for "Even you, my child?"

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Dec 1 10 4:16 AM

QUOTE (Romulus @ November 30, 2010 04:36 pm)
QUOTE (Silvertwinn @ November 30, 2010 12:57 am)

Ah, I see. I was looking only at the curving walls. Where might I find pictures of the two to compare?

You can Google the keywords "Medieval Labyrinth" and "Minoan Labyrinth".

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#20 [url]

Dec 1 10 11:30 AM

A maze from another perspective can represent a journey. The paths around the outside are longer, so take more time to navigate, as you near the centre the twists and turns are more tightly placed together so the time to walk them passes faster.

It could represent the playing field for the overall story arc..if you imagine all the major characters as being placed in the maze... they all have the same goal, to reach the centre (the Codex before Litha). At the beginning they could take their time and plot their path and moves carefully, but as they get deeper into the maze and the time begins to run out, they make turns more hurriedly and hit many dead ends so they become more desperate as they all rush towards the same destination.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help