Remove this ad

kdbvols

Spellcaster

#21 [url]

Sep 7 10 10:18 PM

Hobbies.... Well there's the obvious reading, listening to music, etc. But I really enjoy acting and playing football. (American football, not soccer in case of confusion.)

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Sep 7 10 10:24 PM

I like cross countrey skiing in th winter..... and skating

user posted image
"Be as smart as you can, but remember that it is always better to be wise than to be smart."
Alan Alda

Aura: Raincloud Grey Scent: Fresh Rain mixed with Lilac
Favorite Element: Air, Earth

Quote    Reply   

Apprentice

#23 [url]

Sep 8 10 1:39 AM

I like reading and writing stories, usually I do one for a few months then do the other for a few months lol. I also love music, I try to sing, and I can play the recorder pretty well (for those of you that don't know, it sounds like a flute and drives parents crazy), I used to play the clarinet for middle and high school band, and I've also learned how to play guitar (I'm not very good though). I used to embroider a fair bit and I've been trying to get back into it. I play video games a fair bit. I also dance some, my own style, haven't done lessons or anything, just going with what I feel lol. I love ice skating, just don't do it enough. Coin collecting is a slightly new hobby for me. I also like photography... That seems to be a big favorite lol.

Edit: Added coin collecting to my long list lol.

Aura: Red
Scent: Cinnamon
Magic Element: Fire

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Sep 8 10 1:41 AM

I used to play the saxaphone.... but I quit....

I can also play a little piano, some harmonica, a tiny bit of guitar... and the recorder......

I can do the Hoedown Throwdown too!

user posted image
"Be as smart as you can, but remember that it is always better to be wise than to be smart."
Alan Alda

Aura: Raincloud Grey Scent: Fresh Rain mixed with Lilac
Favorite Element: Air, Earth

Quote    Reply   

Thalion

Sorcerer

#26 [url]

Sep 8 10 12:43 PM

@Mandragora: My very first favorite was jian. I love (I mean it ) the dao sword, pretty much the combination of katana and wakizashi, the jambiya and the kindjal (both are awesome), and I think stiletto's a funny weapon too. I like swords from the Medieval era (like falchion), my favorite here is the hand-and-a-half sword. From the Roman times, I like the falcata sword. Now, I'm in love with the German rapier. wub.gif

user posted image
Aura: Ocean Scent: Sea Breeze & Athelas
Element: Aether
Weapon: Longsword and a dao or a talwar
To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.

Quote    Reply   

Apprentice

#27 [url]

Sep 9 10 2:32 AM

QUOTE (mrprecise @ September 08, 2010 01:02 am)
My Hobbies?

Coin Collecting

Collecting antiques

and other not entirely age appropriate activities...................

I totally forgot that coin collecting is a hobby of mine too lol... What are your favorite coin types to collect mrprecise? My favorite coin types to collect are Mercury Dimes and Indian Cents.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Sep 9 10 3:01 AM

My biggest hobby is drawing I love to draw, and I mostly do people, but I'll do the occasional scenery piece.

My friend and I are also trying to compose some covers of different songs that we like, but tweaking them a bit. That's still in the planning stages.

user posted image
"Be who you are, what you were, what they see. From eternity's view, tell me which one is me." -Epiphany, TSO
Aura color: GOLD..........Scent: Burning matches

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Sep 10 10 2:11 AM

Here goes my never-ending list of hobbies, :

Reading
Listening to Classical and Queen
Collecting rocks, coins and pebbles.
Reading
Teasing my dog (Nicely, of course)
Riding my bike
Homework(not exactly a hobby...but I still enjoy it, and no, I am not crazy.)
School(same as above)
Reading
Pondering over essays for a black,gold, or silver aura.
Reading
Writing
Drawing landscapes and word-playgrounds
Wizard101
Making cute widdle banners
Reading
Studying space(we have something in common, Spacecadet! I think)
Reading
Fencing, even though I stink
Archery
And can somebody please, please please tell me where I can learn how to make a digital/online/computer game? PLEASE?

user posted image
Aura-Purple with scent of bacon frying

Quote    Reply   

Apprentice

#30 [url]

Sep 10 10 3:40 AM

QUOTE (Dorano @ September 09, 2010 10:11 pm)
Here goes my never-ending list of hobbies, :

Reading
Listening to Classical and Queen
Collecting rocks, coins and pebbles.
Reading
Teasing my dog (Nicely, of course)
Riding my bike
Homework(not exactly a hobby...but I still enjoy it, and no, I am not crazy.)
School(same as above)
Reading
Pondering over essays for a black,gold, or silver aura.
Reading
Writing
Drawing landscapes and word-playgrounds
Wizard101
Making cute widdle banners
Reading
Studying space(we have something in common, Spacecadet! I think)
Reading
Fencing, even though I stink
Archery
And can somebody please, please please tell me where I can learn how to make a digital/online/computer game? PLEASE?

Yay! Another coin collector! Lol, what are your favorite types of coins to collect, Dorano?
And in answer to your question, I think I can help a little bit. In your favorite search engine, search for Gamemaker Version 8. Go to the first website it brings up... It's a program that makes game-making alot easier. Just download the installer for the demo. It should be enough for most game-makers, but if you want the additional features, by all means purchase the full version (with a price tag near 30 dollars). And yes, there is a nice tutorial included on the basics of the program and there is a small library of tutorials on the program website. If you're 15 or younger, I'd advise you to get parental permission... I can't remember if there's an age restriction on it. And if you get it, enjoy and happy game-making!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Thalion

Sorcerer

#31 [url]

Sep 10 10 12:19 PM

Fencing... I used to do it (for three years) with foil and épée, but I did not like it. Mostly the dress I had to wear. As I said, I'd rather like to practice swordfighting, but I have no opportunity flamelssecret/crying.gif .

What kind of weapon are you fencing with, Dorano?

user posted image
Aura: Ocean Scent: Sea Breeze & Athelas
Element: Aether
Weapon: Longsword and a dao or a talwar
To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Sep 10 10 9:20 PM

QUOTE (disrhythmic @ September 05, 2010 11:41 am)
My hobbies... first and foremost, I'm a writer. I write for my school's online newspaper, and I'm currently writing a novella-ish story, which I plan on pitching to Tor (an online fantasy magazine) before the end of the year.

I play piano, I love origami, and I'm thinking about taking up knitting... if I have the patience and manual dexterity necessary... XD

You may or may not know it, but Tor is also a leading publisher of fantasy novels. In fact, I did not even know about the online magazine.

My hobbies include, but or not necessarily limited to: reading, Wheel of Time, mythology, Wheel of Time, writing, Wheel of Time, music, Wheel of Time, breaking curves on tests at school, Wheel of Time, learning about history, Wheel of Time, being a nerd, Wheel of Time, lurking/posting on 'Net forums, Wheel of Time, and just generally being ridiculously awesome. I'm sure you guys can agree on that last one. Oh, and I like Wheel of Time. I don't know if I mentioned that one yet.

@Dorano: How much time are you willing to put in to learning the skills required for developing games? If you just have a nifty idea, and want to slap something together for fun, then Gamemaker, as Jessica B. suggested (welcome to the forum Jessica, by the way), is a fantastic piece of software to use. If, however, you are seriously considering game development as a career possibility, as I am, then I would recommend putting the time into learning a programming language. Yes, many of them are daunting to start with, but there are a few things you can do to ease the pain. First, BlitzBasic (and, more currently, BlitzMax) is a pretty powerful language built from the ground up for game programming. There is a fantastic book, Game Programming for Teens, 3rd Edition by Maneesh Sethi, that can teach you this language. Java is the single most used programming language on the planet. It is especially good for web-based applications, such as in-browser PC games. It can also be used to create applications for Android phones, which are ridiculously popular. Java is tougher as a first language than Blitz, but is probably better. The best book for teaching Java that I can think of off the top of my head is probably SAMS Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours (or alternatively, SAMS Teach Yourself Java 6 in 21 Days). It is an absolutely fantastic introductory book, written in a very conversational style that makes reading a lot easier. Head First Java is also good. If you do decide to learn programming, remember that whatever language you learn, after the first one, it becomes much easier to learn others.

P.S.: I love the Wheel of Time series of novels by Robert Jordan. They rox my sox.

user posted image
Aura color: deep chocolate brown Magic scent: cacao
"I've got a Facebook. And I utterly hate the games. I would much rather waste my time spouting useless information and complaining about my life than waste it trying to take care of virtual corn." - silvertouch
"Kai su, teknon?"-Julius Caesar's last words, Greek for "Even you, my child?"

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Sep 10 10 10:03 PM

Thanks for the tip, Rom! I just did various google searches for 'unsolicited submissions' and that's how I found them.

user posted image
Aura: Black Scent: Dried Basil
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Sep 10 10 10:18 PM

QUOTE (disrhythmic @ September 10, 2010 06:03 pm)
Thanks for the tip, Rom! I just did various google searches for 'unsolicited submissions' and that's how I found them.

No problem. I think I shall soon be Googling the online magazine. Sounds interesting.

user posted image
"I've got a Facebook. And I utterly hate the games. I would much rather waste my time spouting useless information and complaining about my life than waste it trying to take care of virtual corn." - silvertouch

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Sep 10 10 10:20 PM

I just put "tor publishing" and it was the first result. But we're a little off-topic... ^^

user posted image
Aura: Black Scent: Dried Basil
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Sep 10 10 11:46 PM

I love volunteering at the community garden in our town. It's really fun and gives you a warm fuzzy (had to say that) feeling for helping out.

user posted image
My aura is colored the scarlet of the setting sun, and its distinctive scent is that of a ripe green apple.

Quote    Reply   

Apprentice

#37 [url]

Sep 11 10 1:42 AM

QUOTE (AthenaApril @ September 10, 2010 07:46 pm)
I love volunteering at the community garden in our town. It's really fun and gives you a warm fuzzy (had to say that) feeling for helping out.

I used to volunteer with Special Olympics in high school, even though I'm not very athletic person. I can totally relate to the warm fuzzy feeling

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Sep 11 10 2:05 AM

Jessica B-Foreign ones! But I like to look for Canadian pennies and Susan B. Anthony coins. And thanks!

Thalion-I used the foil, because it was the only one my instructors would teach me, lol! But I'd like to learn the `ep`ee.

Romulus-Thank you!

user posted image
Aura-Purple with scent of bacon frying

Quote    Reply   

Apprentice

#39 [url]

Sep 11 10 3:33 AM

QUOTE (Dorano @ September 10, 2010 10:05 pm)
Jessica B-Foreign ones! But I like to look for Canadian pennies and Susan B. Anthony coins. And thanks!

I like foreign ones as well, just haven't gotten around to collecting many (I got some Canadians, Euros, and a few random ones... May post pics). The designs and difference in the metal fascinates me about those lol. The Canadian coins are nice... I like all their coins, I'm not sure which one I like best
And no problem, the only issue I've had with Gamemaker, is sometimes I have trouble using it... But I'm not that great with computers lol. I hope you find a program you like using

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Sep 11 10 1:50 PM

QUOTE (Dorano @ September 10, 2010 10:05 pm)
Romulus-Thank you!

No problem! Hope I helped. Another thing: If you are interested in making RPGs specifically, there are a couple Gamemaker-esque programs geared directly towards RPGs. The first is RPGMaker. There have been various versions, the newest being RPGMaker VX. Unfortunately, it does require a purchase. I'm not sure about the cost, but I seem to remember it being somewhere around $60 for the previous version, RMXP. A second option would be the RPG Toolkit. It's a fantastic piece of software, and it's been used to make some nearly commercial quality games. The downside is that you have to learn the scripting language of the Toolkit, RPG Code. Unlike a programming language, RPG Code is unusable to make a game with anything but RPG Toolkit. So if you learn it, then grow out of using the Toolkit, then that's a "dead" language. However, it's free.

I don't go out and attempt to find rare coins, but I have gathered a couple Canadian and British coins just from finding them on various shop floors. Someone actually tried to use a British coin in an American gum ball machine (which need an American quarter to operate, for those of you that aren't American). I also have a couple rare pieces of paper money, mainly a couple 1932 red $2 bills.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help