Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

Lead

Sep 5 10 5:15 AM

Tags : :

As you guys liked this idea, here is the thread you asked for. A place for you to tell us about the books that you've read and what you thought of them.
A good review will tell other members the book title, it's author and will give an overview of the story line without divulging major spoiler points. Tell us about the characters, what you did and didn't like about them, what you thought was unique and enjoyable in the book and if it is part of a series, what number is it within the series, and what are the books that have come before it, or will follow it.

Give an honest rating out of 5 for the story, half points are acceptable, but nothing smaller than that. You ideally want at least 100 words to give a balanced view of a book.
Your reviews here can count towards entries to win the free books donated by Random House in the Random House Readers Corner threads, and if you enjoy writing reviews, why not join Goodreads, Amazon and similar sites and start posting your reviews there or on your blogs too?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 11 10 9:58 PM

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (Book 1 of The Infernal Devices)
Publisher: Margaret K McElderry Books
Released: August 31

Description (from Amazon): Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still. When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own. Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

*Clockwork Angel is one of the most anticipated books of 2010 and debuted at Number 1 on the NY Times Childrens' Bestseller List. It is a prequel trilogy to her bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments.*

Review:

Ms Clare has again astounded me. Clockwork Angel is one of the best books I have ever read. It is written in the tightest, most perfectly-strung third-person and the characters are lovely.

Clare has not, as some feared she would, simply recreated The Mortal Instruments with top hats and gas lamps. It is a completely different book in the same world. Common ideas are that Will is Jace, Jessamine is Isabelle, and Tessa is Clary. Let me state that Tessa is in no way Clary. She is tougher, and I liked her better than Clary, actually, who is a tad too whiney. Tessa accepts things well enough and her backstory is realistic.

There are multiple plot twists but the book isn't saturated with excitement and there is enough tension to hold you until the climax, at which point everything falls into place but nothing does, either.

There is a clear distinction in setting, the book being set in London, of course, but also in time. Aside from the way ladies and men act, the Shadowhunter world is backed up into a well-done ghost of the current one.

The villainy and evil is evident more in Clockwork Angel than in The Mortal Instruments. In TMI, the main villain(s) truly thought he was doing good. In Clockwork Angel, all crimes and horrendous things occurring and done for the gain of the villain.

Clockwork Angel receives a rating of a solid five (5).

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 6 10 9:28 AM

Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events

The purpose of reading a book is to be entertained or to be educated. If you are planning to read this awful series, then I assume that your purpose for doing so is either of the two purposes I have just stated. But it is regretful to disappoint you by stating that you will achieve neither purpose in reading this awful series. An entertaining book is a book that makes you happy while an educational book is one that makes you learn useful things; and this not so very good series will make you neither happy nor learn useful things. This series, on the opposite, is full of wretchedness. It’s good you haven’t read the series yet and I am hoping that you will never ever, in your wildest dream worldly possible, read it. If there is one thing you’ll learn, it will be the bad habit of plotting horrible plans against miserable orphans. Period.

A Series of Unfortunate Events, as the title suggests, is pull if onlucky moments in the life of the thee Baudeleire orphans utter tie unpleasent but cunning schemes of the goathsome villain named Count Olat. The orphan’ misery all began on the day they lost heir parents in a terrible fire. Henceforth, a word which here meens “from this point of the Baudelaire orphans’ lives forward,” the orphans were shunned from guardian to guardian while being pursued by Count Olaf in various disguises in his attempt to get his filthy hands on the enormous fortune left behind by the Baudelaire parents for the Baudelaire orphans when the eldest Baudelaire child teach the age of eighteen, which in Violet Baudelaire (the middle is Klaus and the youngest is Sunny).

In order to save you from the tedious and unbearable experience you will get in reading this series, let me tell you at this moment that the previous paragraph is the only track the series treks from book the first to book the thirteenth. Having said so, I see no reason but one for you to execute your plan of reading the series because (1) you already know the pattern of this series; and (2) the series is neither entertaining like the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel nor educational like the Book of Abraham the Mage. On the other hand, the only unreasonable reason that I could think of is that you might want to know if the tales of the pitiful Baudelaire orphans have my definition of “happy ending.” Still, please abandon your plan because the only reason I could name is in itself unreasonable and besides, even if there is a happy ending (there might be no happy ending at all, for all you know), the unpleasantness of it all weighs more than you will ever get in learning that ending.

Having said so, may this serve as a last warning to all of you. Immediately click the “For Flamel Fans” link at the upper left quadrant of this page and forget that you ever heard the series entitled “A Series of Unfortunate Events.”

Rating: -5 stars (that’s less than zero) out of +5 stars.

PS#1: The first paragraph is composed of 22 multiplied by 8 words (Ignore this. It’s actually one hundred fifty five words, not one hundred seventy six). Like Zombies in the Snow, Dr. Sebald will understand.
PS#2: Forgive me for the incorrectly spelled words but I cannot avoid them. I hope Aunt Josephine wouldn’t mind.
PS#3: 16 multiplied by 4 is less than the length of the third paragraph (which, by the way, is two hundred five words).

*Please do not read any further*

A Series of Unfortunate Events:
1. The Bad Beginning
2. The Reptile Room
3. The Wide Window
4. The Miserable Mill
5. The Austere Academy
6. The Ersatz Elevator
7. The Vile Village
8. The Hostile Hospital
9. The Carnivorous Carnival
10. The Slippery Slope
11. The Grim Grotto
12. The Penultimate Peril
13. The End

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 26 10 3:07 PM

Ink Series 8.5/10 boring at times
Harry Potter 9.5/10
Percy Jackson 9/10
Inheritance Cycle 7.5/10
The Chronicles of Narnia 6/10
The Last Apprentice 3/10 thought it was boring, though it had it's moments.
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel 10/10 Phenomenal

user posted image
Aura Color:Blue
Aura Scent:Peaches
Element:Air,Fire,Water,&Earth
The bravest and most courageous people are those who find happiness in the darkest of times.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 28 10 8:55 AM

THE LOST SYMBOL by Dan Brown

On a quiet Sunday afternoon, Robert Langdon was tricked into coming to Washington D.C. by a person calling himself Mal’akh. Before he can comprehend what had just happened, he found himself in the middle of a CIA investigation involving matters of national security. Trapped between the demands of the government and the wishes of his friend and mentor, Peter Solomon, Robert Langdon cannot avoid but to choose sides. As he is being chased by the different factions involved, Langdon found the secrets of the Masonic brotherhood unfold before his eyes. Ultimately, what matters most is to find Peter, who is being held captive by a man who will do everything to achieve his plans.

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 stars

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#5 [url]

Oct 31 10 11:11 AM

I have picked the two winners for a copy of James Patterson's Witch and Wizard! Winners you now have your winner PM's, please reply and confirm your entires and once you've done that yoou may post your good news! Thank you to all who have supported this draw by sending me the links to your reviews and by posting reviews here, the more of you that join in, the more prizes the lovely folk at Random House will supply, so look for a new review draw coming soon! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

Quote    Reply   

The Will

Sorcerer

#6 [url]

Dec 12 10 5:16 PM

Series: Keys to the Kingdom
Books in Series: Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, Sir Thursday, Lady Friday, Superior Saturday, Lord Sunday
Author: Garth Nix
Outline: Aurthur Penhaligon is thrown into a mystical world called The House. The Architect (The Creator of the everything, in the books) left behind a Will after her disappearance, to her Seven Trustees. That left them power over the seven keys each ruling over a specific part of The House and a day of a week. They each were suppose to hand over there power over to The Rightful Heir when (s)he came around. They didn't, and they broke up The Will into seven pieces each one piece and locked each one away. But then The first part of The Will escaped and found Aurthur Penhaligon, who was capable of being A Rightful Heir and gave him The first part of the first key, right before he died an that caused him to live. After that he has to find each bit of The Will Of The Architect and has to wrestle control of The House from The Trustees. But the more he uses the power of the Keys the less mortal he becomes.
Rating: Five out of Five. I loved the series. But it does have some slight Judeo-Christian themes.

aura: Blue Smell:Cofee
user posted image
Art is dead. So people think you're funny? How'd you get those peoples money. ~ Art is Dead

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 15 10 11:00 PM

You may notice alot of high ratings but hey, I chose awesome books to read!

Percy Jackson(PJO) - 9.5/10....well maybe 9.9/10
Heros of the Valley(single)-9/10
Harry Potter(havent read all yet)- easily 10/10
Rangers Apprentice(again not all read)- 8/10
The Youngest Templar-8/10(some parts in the second book are ify)
The Hunger Games(not all read)-9/10
The Lost Hero(soon to be series)-9.5/10(pretty good just not alot of action yet still ALOT going on and its kinda hard to keep track)
The Red Pyramid(soon to be series)-9/10
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flemel-100000/10(AWESOME! Congratz on an awesome books Mr.Scott!)
In Inheritance Series-7.5/10-8/10(kinda ify ify moments)
Bartimaeus Triligy(not much read yet)-7.5/10(some things are kinda confusing)(I bet it gets better tho)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid-10/10(good for these kinds of books)

That about covers all the books/series i read and owned, i haven't en reading for long so its kinda small but ya!

You have hit the autocensor, please remember to keep it family friendly Thanks ~SC

user posted image
Aura:Red Scent:Lemon
Knowing others is intelligence Knowing your self is true wisdom
Mastering others is strength Mastering your self is true power
Element:Wind & Earth Weapon: Runes, Marks, Swords

Quote    Reply   

Eon

Spellcaster

#8 [url]

Dec 16 10 3:48 PM

SERIES: Chaos Walking Trilogy
BOOKS: The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and The Answer, Monsters of Men
AUTHOR: Patrick Ness
SUMMARY: Todd Hewitt lives in Prentistown on New World. Prentistown is the last town. In Prentisstown there are no secrets as everyone can read each others minds in a never ending stream of information called the Noise. One day Todd hears a hole in the Noise which is impossible to him because everything has Noise....everything. His world is soon turned upside down and he finds himself on the run from the womanless town and its leader Mayor Prentiss to a supposed settlement on the other side of New World
RATING: Between 4.5 & 5 out of 5 its probably one of my favorite series
(Not particularly for under 13 but the author does cover up most language etc)

Aura:Ocean Green
Scent:A Turf Fire

user posted image
Níl aon saoí gan locht - No wiseman is without fault

Quote    Reply   

Zero

Apprentice

#9 [url]

Jan 12 11 3:35 AM

Percy Jackson (1st and soon to be 2nd series) 9/10

Harry Potter 8.9/10

Twilight saga: 8/10

Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel 9/10

I am Number Four 9.2/10

Inheritance Cycle 10/10

Aura Color: [TBA]
Aura Scent: Black Cherry (Changes sporadically)
Master of the Elements of Darkness and Shadow

"They say living well is the best revenge, but Stabbing works just as well"
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 22 11 6:58 AM

Red pyramid 7 out of 10
Percy Jackson Series 9.5 out of 10
Flamel Series 9.5out of 10(keeps on getting better)
Inhertance Cycle( Eragon) 9 out of 10
Deltora Quest 9 out of 10
Deltora Shadowlands 7.5 out 10
Dragons of Deltora 8 out of 10
Rangers Apprentice 8.5 out of 10
Harry Potter 7.5 out of 10
Warriors 8 out of 10
hatchet (brians series) 9 out of 10
Series of unfortunate events 8 out of 10
The heir series 9out 0f 10
the adventures of robinhood 9.5 out of 10

are my reveiws any good

"Fire is the most power full of all magics<---- " --Comte De Saint Germain ( Francis)
aura color: light red aura smell: pomegranates
Magics Mastered: water and Fire..........Kind: Magician..........Magics Learned: All
user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Spellcaster

#11 [url]

Apr 8 11 4:12 AM

Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis.

Its about this newly orphaned boy who has to move in with his auntie Mame, his only relative. His dad was very conservative, but Mame is not. She's wild, has phases, and lives a full life. So while Patrick is trying to be good and fit with his conservative trustee and schoolmates she raises him to be wild and daring and sophisticated and spontaneous.

Patrick is a good character, very realistic via his feelings. My usual problem with adults writing about teens is that they don't capture the essence, but with this, the author (whose real name is Michael Tanner) gave Patrick (pseudonym and main character) a life - when he's eleven, he thinks like an eleven year old. One can see how his understanding of the world and thoughts mature.

Mame is the best. She is so funny. One can expect her to do the unexpected, which is all one can expect except that whatever she does, she will fully throw herself into it (aka buy a new wardrobe)

My rating:
20/5
READ THIS BOOK

user posted image
Aura Color: Wolf
Aura scent: Jasmine
Type of Magic: Psychic abilities
Favored Weapon: Italian Longsword

Quote    Reply   

Jef

Sorcerer

#12 [url]

Apr 24 11 8:16 PM

The Northerlight trilogy I give 8/10, (though I did NOT like the movie)
The Chronicles of Narnia; 8/10 (Aah...My first 'real' book series )
Complot 365; 7/10 (not that much of a mindbreaker but fun to read after some heavy literature )
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, 9.5/10, if not more (one of the best I've read, if not,...I wouldn't be here ofcourse )

user posted image
ABILOST: Part 1: The land across the Ginungagap / Chapter 1:The tale without a beginning
Now Garm howls loud, before Gnipahellir, the fetters will burst, and Fenrir run free;
Much do I know, and more can see, of the fate of the gods, the mighty in fight.
~Völuspá; stanza 44
Scent: Strawberry / Aura:Azure / Magic: Purgatory Fire / Weapon: Runes

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 25 11 3:43 PM

The Lost Hero 8.5/10 really good but not quite as good as Percy Jackson
Artemis Fowl 3/10 thought it was one of the worst books ever, do not recommend
Nightmare Academy 5/10 it was good but a little childish for me
Perilous Realm 7/10 it was good but had some non-important moments, recommend
Deltora Quest 9/10 really good but too small, highly recommend
Deltora Shadowlands 9/10 great but again too small, highly recommend

user posted image
The bravest and most courageous people are those who find happiness in the darkest of times.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 1 11 12:47 AM

The Giver by Lois Lowry 10/10 It was a very good book. I think that it was the best book ive read since teh beginning of the year.

user posted image

There's real poetry in the real world, Science is the poettry of reality -Richard Dawkins

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 1 11 2:28 AM

QUOTE (Bluescales14 @ May 01, 2011 12:47 am)
The Giver by Lois Lowry 10/10 It was a very good book. I think that it was the best book ive read since teh beginning of the year.

Yes that was really good definitely a solid 8/10 for me, the second one Gathering Blue I did not like it as much until the ending the end was good so I reward it a 5/10, and the third one The Messenger a 9.5/10 that one was fantastic.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Sorcerer

#16 [url]

May 1 11 2:53 AM

the giver was excellent(9/10), my school performed the play, and it was part of the curriculum. i got stuck in gathering blue though, so i won't rate it.

user posted image
Aura:Emerald
Scent:Raspberry
I have been Awakened... I am a master of Fire... Water... Earth and Air... and an apprentice to a master of Time... I posess the gift of Foresight...

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

May 1 11 3:35 AM

I'm reviewing Warriors by Erin Hunter... I give it a 9.5/10 I really enjoyed this series as a 6th grader and have continued to read it into my seventh grade year... The only thing about this series is that you have to be able to take in a large variety of characters or you will get confused but other than that really good books!

user posted image
Aura Color: Bronze
Scent: Apple Pie

Quote    Reply   

Jef

Sorcerer

#18 [url]

May 1 11 2:00 PM

Oh yea, almost forgot about Runemarks!
Awesome book; at least 9 out of 10
(read she was working on a sequel; runelights flamelssecret/read.gif )

user posted image
ABILOST: Part 1: The land across the Ginungagap / Chapter 1:The tale without a beginning
Now Garm howls loud, before Gnipahellir, the fetters will burst, and Fenrir run free;
Much do I know, and more can see, of the fate of the gods, the mighty in fight.
~Völuspá; stanza 44
Scent: Strawberry / Aura:Azure / Magic: Purgatory Fire / Weapon: Runes

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

May 1 11 4:37 PM

Artemis Fowl: 10/10 for the first 5 books, 8/10 for them past that point. I love those books. Artemis is such an awful person, but they are so funny, and high tech, and just all around awesome books, plus as the series progresses, Artemis becomes a pretty decent human being.

Alex Rider: 8/10 for the whole series. I really liked the first...5 books. they were really good. But as they progressed, Alex started to degrade a little bit, personality wise. it made me sad, and the ways he escaped kept getting more and more predictable. Then the last book was just sad. I cried through it all. And it made me really sad that it just ended like that.

Tithe: A Modern Faery's Tale, by Holly Black: for the whole series, 8/10, for Valiant the second book 9.5/10. Note, not exactly suitable for those under 14 i'd say. there's nothing too bad, but there are some more mature aspects.

Harry Potter: there is no mark high enough for this series, but for measurements sake:10/10

Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel: summa cum laude: 10/10. love this series, and since Harry Potter is already over, I have this to wait outside the bookstore for at 3 in the morning.

and Finally...
Twilight Saga: - 15/+10. This is ridiculous. it just is awful. the first book was pretty lame, but by the end, she was just writing for the money. she obviously didn't have the plot planned out when she started, and when the rising action in the final book is suddenly withdrawn, and there is no huge climax like we were all expecting to end it, it's like a pulled punch, then it flops in the dirt. just pathetic.

user posted image
Aura colorAmber
Aura scent:Cedar boughs

Quote    Reply   

Elena

Immortal

#20 [url]

May 3 11 3:50 AM

Just finished reading The Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink. I give it a 8.5/10! It was totally worth the wait, the book was amazing. The book was relatively short but action packed. Can't wait for the third (and last!) book!

user posted image
Pottermore: GoldAccio87 | Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help