Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Oct 19 10 2:16 PM

While I like serials and stand-alone books, my very favourites are books who feature recurring characters. I like it when a book introuduces you to some people and then in authors later works, the characters come back. It's like bumping into an old friend you haven't seen for a bit Like a semi-sequel I suppose.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Oct 20 10 1:58 AM

I voted 5-7. When I read books I always want more, but I think after 7 I really would want it to end after a while. Just for a book series in general, I love that I get roughly a year to analyze the book and get all my theories and predictions together. Just when I'm really good and ready, I get another book. I love that series literally last for years. No matter how fast I read, I have to wait for the next book. The characters in a book series get the chance to develop slowly and fully. The author can take a minor detail from an earlier book and make the entire plot revolve around it in later books and throw everyone for a loop.

Aura Color: Cloud Grey
Aura Scent: Pine
Element: Water & Air

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Oct 21 10 9:07 AM

When I read books, I always look for patterns. Whether it is a stand alone book or serials. I often write a table comparing the books in a book series.

The Flamel Series for example, when you take the first letters of the titles, you will have A, M, S, N, W, E. If we rearrange the letters, we would have NEWMAS, SAWMEN, SWANME, etc.. Another one is the gender. Alchemyst is male, Magician is male, Sorceress is female, Necromancer is male, Warlock is male, Enchantress is female. That's male, male, female, male, male, female. Michael said that there's no pattern in his series but it's cool anyways.. flamelssecret/hyper_.gif

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#44 [url]

Oct 21 10 8:26 PM

I chose small series because i tend to forget things between books. If all the books are out, then its easier for me cause i can read them all one after another. But if i have to wait, and then i read other series in between, oh boy lol And i also find, the smaller the series, faster it gets to the point! haha.

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Nov 20 10 10:59 AM

Book count is not the most important factor to me., when choosing between series and standalone books. In my opinion the story must go, as planed from beginning. A sequel for already finished book will newer be good. And if a story, that is supposed to be a large series is packed in one or two books, outcome won't be better.

user posted image
Aura color: Dark green
Aura scent: Pine
Element: Lightning

Why is "weird" an insult when we all spend our lives striving to be weird? /bonesiii/

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Feb 26 11 4:08 PM

There really should be a 'Doesn´t Matter' option. =\

But lacking a such, I went for 2-4. There´s an amazing tridecalogy that I especially love, though.

-Multiverse

"Let´s not get ahead of ourselves. Instead, why not get ahead of each other?"

Quote    Reply   

Thalion

Sorcerer

#47 [url]

Feb 26 11 4:39 PM

I prefer standalone or medium serials. Medium serials are the best for fantasy, I think, and good writer can do fantastic things in 6 books.

But I agree with Multiverse, I do not read something because of it's length... If I like a book, it doesn't matter whether it is of a length of Prose Edda or not, I'll read it.

user posted image
Aura: Ocean Scent: Sea Breeze & Athelas
Element: Aether
Weapon: Longsword and a dao or a talwar
To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Feb 27 11 7:12 PM

I think I like them all but I had to click one, so medium series are great. But in reality they're all good. I like single books alot because they end mostly with you being satisfied, whereas with a series you kind of become attached to the characters so its sad to see them go. So both and ALL! flamelssecret/read.gif

user posted image
Aura Color: Bronze
Scent: Apple Pie

Quote    Reply   

Jef

Sorcerer

#49 [url]

Apr 24 11 7:41 PM

I lprefer not too long series, max 5 parts, otherwise like when it's an ongoing series and you have to wait long, it ussaly loses the grip on you, the ... 'spark' books (and films) need to give off.
Actually, when I saw The Secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel series in the library there were only three and I assumed it was a trilogy.
You can imagine the look on my face when I finished The Sorceress

But as counterevidence to what I said up here, well ... you have the Nicholas Flamel series

user posted image
ABILOST: Part 1: The land across the Ginungagap / Chapter 1:The tale without a beginning
Now Garm howls loud, before Gnipahellir, the fetters will burst, and Fenrir run free;
Much do I know, and more can see, of the fate of the gods, the mighty in fight.
~Völuspá; stanza 44
Scent: Strawberry / Aura:Azure / Magic: Purgatory Fire / Weapon: Runes

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Apr 26 11 4:22 PM

I have to agree with the 'medium' series. Anything from a stand-alone book to a 5-6 book series is usually my happy medium. The only exception is the Legend of Drizzt. I'm currently on book 13. There are 20 books currently and there will be a 21st in October.

user posted image
[ Aura: Gold ] [ Scent: Fresh Ginger ]

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Apr 26 11 4:48 PM

I prefer a good long series 3-7 instead of stand alone books. Stand alones are good but I do believe I prefer series over stand alones.

user posted image
Aura Color:Blue
Aura Scent:Peaches
Element:Air,Fire,Water,&Earth
The bravest and most courageous people are those who find happiness in the darkest of times.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

May 31 11 2:32 PM

It all depends on the author if you can make each book in the series feel like an epic stand alone book while have it be part of the whole then I'm interested! And it also depends on the type of story it is.

Please do not use text talk. Thanks! ~Elena

Aura: dark red Scent:fresh blood powers and skills:Summoners, Necromancers, Blood magic, Illusionists, shadow magic, geomancers, power of darkness, Elementalists, spirt/demon magic

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Nov 18 11 2:34 PM

I chose medium serials, 'cause the flamel series, the Harry Potter series, and so many more series' were perfect length for me!

user posted image
Aura color: Deep dark purple with hints of gray
Aura scent: Ocean breeze
Weapons: Water Magic, My Spear, Sorcery

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Nov 18 11 10:44 PM

Really... Never knew doctors could do stuff like that, but okay...
Probably special care doctors.

user posted image
Aura color: Deep dark purple with hints of gray
Aura scent: Ocean breeze
Weapons: Water Magic, My Spear, Sorcery

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Jan 5 12 1:08 AM

I like medium ones because hen there is only one book I am sad I finish it so quickly. But if they are too long, each individual book is not as good!

user posted image
Aura Colour: Blue-ish Gray
Magical Scent: Ocean

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Feb 16 12 11:33 AM

I chose large serials. Although, If I'm honest, it doesn't matter a whole lot. However, I do usually read books that are quite long.

Mostly I chose large serials because I really get into the world of the books, as well as the characters. Three of my favourite series are The Saga of Darren Shan, The Demonata and The Ranger's Apprentice(first two by same author), and they go for about 12 books, though the books themselves are quite small.
I never get bored with the series if the author is good enough, so large series all the way! ^-^
Sometimes I just don't want the series to end, I want it to go on and on because the world is so great and so are the characters - however I know that can't happen. flamelssecret/crying.gif

Also, I've read about someone having trouble getting some books from a series when they were younger, and I do believe I have the answer to their problem(as well as anyone else with the same problem). If you cannot get the book that you need to continue the series you are reading, simply walk up to a librarian behind a desk(with the computer) and ask if you can reserve a book. Very simple. Not quite sure how I discovered this, but it has served me well! I often ask a librarian to reserve some books I need to continue the series I'm reading.

Aura: Red Scent: Burnt Leaves
Magics: Fire and Alchemy

Quote    Reply   

merlin67

Spellcaster

#58 [url]

Apr 29 12 10:07 PM

small serials

user posted image
it is good to have an end to journey towards but in the end it is the journey that matters
Aura color: dark brown
Aura scent: freshly melted chocolate chips
Ability:the five elements Earth,Fire,water,air and CHEESE

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Jul 12 12 3:49 AM

I prefer medium seriers, but Ill read any series. Series are good because you can find out more about the charters, and how they deal with whatever happened at the end of the other books.

Aura: Navy Blue
Scent: Sea breeze
Master of Fire

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help