Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#21 [url]

Aug 24 10 9:22 PM

I think we, as readers, have become used to sequels and series. Television series run to several seasons and end on cliff hangers, movies now have built in sequels. I think it is comfortable for readers to return to familiar characters.

It was a choice I had to make when I was writing Flamel. I choose to end on cliff-hangers (but with the teaser chapters.) I know that has driven some of you mad, but I can promise that although The Earthlords is a trilogy, each book will end properly.

Michael

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Aug 25 10 1:48 PM

I voted Medium. Most of my favourite books are medium sized series, like Harry Potter and Flamel's Secrets.
5-7 books in one serie means lots of fun reading- lots of adventures etc.

user posted image
Aura colour: Yellow
Aura scent: Freshly baked muffins.
Element: Air

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Aug 26 10 4:58 AM

If the book is excellent, I mean if the story is as good as the Harry Potter series or the Flamel series, I would prefer a very large series.
That is why I am somewhat reluctant to begin a new series because when I start a series I feel a certain compulsion to finish it until the final book. If the series is compelling, then it's good for me but if it is otherwise, then I'm stuck to- well, I assume you know how it feels to read a boring book.
That's why it took me so long to begin the Flamel series (I read the Alchemyst on March 2010). At first, when I saw the Alchemyst, I was wondering if it is a good read. Then finally I told myself, "Whatever, just buy the book it looks interesting anyways." So I bought it and thank goodness, the series is so good!

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Aug 26 10 11:18 AM

I voted 8-10 because I think its better to commit yourself to a book series than to only have a few books. I pretty much nearly cry when I finish a great book series so its nice to have alot of books so its something to look forward to. flamelssecret/clap3.gif

user posted image

'people come into your life and people leave it... you just have to trust that life has a road mapped out for you-Orlando Bloom
Aura colour:Flouro orange Aura scent: Sandalwood
Weapon:nunchucks
Favourite element:aether

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Aug 27 10 12:25 AM

i like books with 5-7 books. i hate waiting my entire life to find out how they end, but i like being able to keep reading for a while.

user posted image
Aura colorAmber
Aura scent:Cedar boughs

Quote    Reply   

Gabrielle

Spellcaster

#26 [url]

Sep 5 10 6:08 PM

Too few is not satisfying but to many is too tiring so i prefer medium...

user posted image
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me” ~C.S. Lewis

Aura: cream Scent: honeysuckle

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Sep 8 10 2:10 AM

Hmm. I don't really care how long the series is, so long as it's good. For instance, The Wheel of Time is 14 books (well, right now it's 12, but 13 & 14 will be out within a year and a half), and it is the best literary work written in America. The Legend of Drizzt is 13 books, with two additional trilogies also about Drizzt, and it's fantastic as well. On the other hand, stand-alones are just fine too, Beowulf for instance (even though it's centuries old). It all depends. If the story can be told in one book, then that's fine. If it takes a dozen books, that's great too. However, if a series is stretched to 6 or 7 books when it can be told in 1-3, then that's a problem. Stretching a series out to cash in is just wrong, and usually dilutes the plotline to the point of being nearly unreadable.

I chose 11+, because my current obsession is Wheel of Time, which as I already mentioned, is in that range.

user posted image
Aura color: deep chocolate brown Magic scent: cacao
"I've got a Facebook. And I utterly hate the games. I would much rather waste my time spouting useless information and complaining about my life than waste it trying to take care of virtual corn." - silvertouch
"Kai su, teknon?"-Julius Caesar's last words, Greek for "Even you, my child?"

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Sep 12 10 8:47 AM

i like series medium becuase if they so early your like i wish i hadnt read them that fast and majority of goo books are in middle series for me

like when i finished percy jackson series fifth book i ws like ahh man and in series of unfortunate eveents the series takes allitlle too long

"Fire is the most power full of all magics<---- " --Comte De Saint Germain ( Francis)
aura color: light red aura smell: pomegranates
Magics Mastered: water and Fire..........Kind: Magician..........Magics Learned: All
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Sep 23 10 12:34 PM

One of the disadvantages of book series is that you have to wait for the next installment. Even if you are dying to know what will happen, you have no choice but to wait. But the good thing is, you get to discuss the series with other fans. Discussing theories are one of the best experience you will ever get while waiting for the next installment of a book series.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Sep 23 10 1:57 PM

I am somewhat suprised by the results of the poll. I guess it reflect the more mordern trends in today's literature, television, gaming, and film. Everything needs a sequel now, and days. I do not mind sequels, nor series, and actually read quite a bit of them in my regular reading. Issac Asimov, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R Tolkien, Brian Jacques, Arthur Conan Doyle, Frank Herbert, Jack Whyte, Arthur C. Clarke, J.K. Rowling, Micheal Scott, to name a few, have all created some of my dearest literature pieces. That being said some of the greatest literary pieces ever written, or read by myself are stand alone pieces. Sometimes things are best left unsaid. Things are best left with intruigue. Pieces by the likes of Dostoyevsky, Hemingway, Shakespeare, Orwell, Twain, Dumas, Poe, Hugo, Bradbury, Verne, Melville, Lewis,, Tolkien, Asimov, to name some of my favorites, will stand for eternity. Poetry can also be included as stand alone pieces in which you have great poets the likes of Jack Kerouac, Khalil Gibran, D.H Lawrence, Pablo Neruda, to name a few of my favorites, have created stand alone masterpieces in peotry. So to resume what I am trying to say... Series are wonderful, but the true masterpieces are lone books who can inspire, confuse, question, frighten, amuse, and move you more than 2, 3, 4, books and more.

EDIT: I apologize if I sounded condesending. I just wanted to express that a well written stand alone book will over shadow any mediocre written series. And I encourage you all to explore the classics, cause they have stood the test of time. Quick example... Isaac Asimov wrote fantastic material 50-60 years ago. Even with advances in technology his material is even more astounding today then ever. Try the robot short stories, and if you really enjoy series try the Robot series, Empire Series, and the spectacular Foundation series.

Best Regards

Please do not double post. Edit your last post per the CoC guidelines.

"War is not about who is right, it is about who is left."
Aura: Unknown
Scent: Fear
Aprentice to: Scathach

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Sep 23 10 7:59 PM

Hey Sanjuro! I just thought you should know that in the C.O.C., it says that double posting (posting after you've posted) isn't allowed, and that we're supposed to use the "Edit" button on your last post. Just thought I'd let you know before you get warned by a Mod.

user posted image
[ Aura: Gold ] [ Scent: Fresh Ginger ]

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#33 [url]

Sep 23 10 10:42 PM

Let me add that once a lot of literature was "serialized" because it was printed in parts (most of Dickens and Conan Doyle) or as part-works.

But it is to do with taste and fashion. This generation is comfortable with serials and in the same way that we like to revisit our favorite characters every week on TV, we get to do it once or twice a year in novels.

Michael

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#34 [url]

Sep 24 10 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ September 23, 2010 06:42 pm)
Let me add that once a lot of literature was "serialized" because it was printed in parts (most of Dickens and Conan Doyle) or as part-works.

But it is to do with taste and fashion. This generation is comfortable with serials and in the same way that we like to revisit our favorite characters every week on TV, we get to do it once or twice a year in novels.

Michael

It's actually interesting to read books that were originally written as Serials for papers and other publications.

I've read an un-abridged version of Count of Monte Cristo and there are a LOT of repeated bits of information. It makes it a bit annoying to read by our standards of stand alone books, but when you take into account the fact that people were originally getting these books only a few chapters at a time, sometimes a month or more apart, you can see why an author would repeat basic plot points over and over again.

It would almost be like if throughout the Alchemyst, every few chapters contained lines like -

"Josh and Sophie, who were twins and met Nicholas Flamel, a noted alchemist who is an immortal, in his book shop and had a very important book stolen by Dr. John Dee who fought Nicholas in his bookshop using magic controlled with his yellow, sulfur scented aura..." etc.

It's sort of like on TV shows when you get the "Last time on..." at the start of each show.

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Sep 25 10 7:47 AM

A good thing about book series is that when you read book 1, for instance, you make speculations and theories; then when book 2 comes out, you read and you learn that your theories are correct. It just gives the feeling of "oh I'm so good I got it right." - even if you don't share your theory with anyone - It still gives you that feeling. Like an internal sense of fulfillment... flamelssecret/clap3.gif

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Sep 26 10 6:12 AM

I can't remember what I voted but I like my series to be 2-6 books. Harry Potter is the only exception to this rule. Series are probably the most fun because you get a wider character arc in a longer time period and you can slowly bond with them. Theories, of course, are a blast, and tend to get more of a fan base. That said, trilogies are the best for me in serial terms.

However, I also love stand-alones. You have a shorter time to get to know a character but it has that much more impact. And with stand-alones, you can have a bit of a series in companion novels. It's like being reintroduced to a world you love without having to commit to an epic.

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Oct 7 10 3:23 AM

On average i probably read 5 to 7 book series. i have read larger series and smaller series (largest would be Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole and the Saga of Darren Shan)

i guess i read series of small or large compacities and sometimes stand alone books.

user posted image

There's real poetry in the real world, Science is the poettry of reality -Richard Dawkins

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Oct 7 10 10:52 AM

Oooh my friend has read the Darren Shan books after the movie I want to as well.

user posted image

'people come into your life and people leave it... you just have to trust that life has a road mapped out for you-Orlando Bloom
Aura colour:Flouro orange Aura scent: Sandalwood
Weapon:nunchucks
Favourite element:aether

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Oct 9 10 4:54 AM

QUOTE (silvertouch @ September 26, 2010 06:12 am)
Series are probably the most fun because you get a wider character arc in a longer time period and you can slowly bond with them.

I can't agree enough flamelssecret/clap3.gif
My favorite books are mostly serials: Harry Potter Series, Flamel Series, A Series of Unfortunate Events.
My favorite books which are non-serials are Dan Brown's books, most especially those that feature Robert Langdon. flamelssecret/sFun_drool2.gif

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 19 10 4:00 AM

A series of Unfortunate Events was a good series i guess. i kinda got bored and skipped most of the series and went on to the last book. What can i say? i liked the last book! Maybe one day i will go back and read the ones i have not read... after my never ending list of books i want to read.

user posted image

There's real poetry in the real world, Science is the poettry of reality -Richard Dawkins

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help