Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

Lead

Aug 9 10 1:50 PM

Tags : :

Since we all read a good mixture of serials and stand alone books I thought you'd like the chance to talk about which you prefer and why, so here you go guys!

Which do you prefer? (Result)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 9 10 1:55 PM

Even though I chose the 5-7 choice, it really doesn't matter to me. As long as the writing is good and it draws me in so much that I don't hear my mom telling me to shut my book and eat dinner, then I love it. It could be a single book or an epic trilogy, as long as I like the writing I'll read as much of the story as there is published.

user posted image
[ Aura: Gold ] [ Scent: Fresh Ginger ]

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 9 10 1:59 PM

I'm with Silvertwinn, I picked 2-4, but it doesn't really matter that much. At least with a small series, there's enough to keep you entertained but a conceivable end in sight where you'll finally know what's happening.

user posted image
Aura: Black Scent: Dried Basil
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 9 10 2:20 PM

I picked "medium" because some of my favorite series have been this length (Nicholas Flamel, Harry Potter). But no matter what, when it is a well written series that has hooked from the start, I always want more at the end.

user posted image

Aura: Dark Orchid
Aura Scent: Wild Lilac

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#5 [url]

Aug 9 10 2:28 PM

I picked 5-7 but i only like somewhat longer series if i can stay on top of them i.e read them approximately when they come out. Otherwise if i see a book an its a series that have 7 plus books out already unless highly recommended i tend to stray from them, i find it more exciting to read it approximately as it comes out, as it leaves room to think and theorize like the flamel series.

I cant remember the last stand alone book i read. I tend to stick to series. but again i think it depends more on quality than quantity. If the series is good ill read it but if a stand alone book is good i read it as well.

Quote    Reply   

Fuzzbinn

Sorcerer

#6 [url]

Aug 9 10 2:42 PM

Very much depends on the book. But generally, if the story can support it, and is good, I prefer longer series. Simply because I generally read things I like, and I like to have as much as possible. (But never length at expense of story).

But I'll read standalone stuff as well - although usually series (also, most fantasy stuff tends to drift towards series...)

Downside of series is the wait between books. Hate that. (Looking at you, Christopher Paolini... splitting the "final" book, and making us wait for 2+ years for even a title, cover, or even a release window..... arg.) Huge gaps can work, if the book is good enough, but I usually fail to have the patience to wait for years between volumes if the series is anything beyond 3 or 4 books. (Harry Potter notwithstanding. )

Theorizing is fun, but at a certain point, speculation only goes so far. And I really like to read stuff. Reading>waiting. Even the most fun of waiting. (See "Flamel Forum")

Aura Color: Sunset Orange..........Scent: Pomegranate
Fearus the Fuzzbinnus! Cave Fuzzum!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."...."It's time to toss the dice."
"I don't want a happy ending. I want more story" - Francis Hardinge, Fly By Night
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 9 10 2:45 PM

I have to go with 5-7 because like bear said some of my favorite series have been tha length. (HP, Flamel, Percy Jackson) But I also really get into the notion of recurring characters. I loved the James Bond series growing up and I still read new ones when they come out.

The 5-7 range gives me a chance to get into a character and then grow with it while still having some finality to it though which makes for a really exciting finish. Like with these books and with Harry Potter there is such an acceleration involved when you get closer to the end of the series.

user posted image

Aura Color: Midnight Blue......Aura Scent: Fresh Honey
You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#8 [url]

Aug 9 10 3:20 PM

I like the medium serials because it gives me a chance to get to know a set of characters, enjoy them, and spend some time with them. But, it also puts an end to the story - because I think the best stories do in fact eventually need to end - especially since the end is often the best part!

I can live with some long serials - but what really bothers me are the serials that are supposed to be small and then change - like the Allyson Noel Immortals series. Originally, it was to be a trilogy. Now... 6 (or maybe 7) books. And clearly there wasn't enough material for all 6 so the 4th and after have been awful.

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 9 10 6:29 PM

I chose Medium but it really dont matter...I like medium series tho becasue you get to have time with the chactores but not to much where you get bored.

user posted image
Aura:Red Scent:Lemon
Knowing others is intelligence Knowing your self is true wisdom
Mastering others is strength Mastering your self is true power
Element:Wind & Earth Weapon: Runes, Marks, Swords

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 9 10 6:31 PM

I'm with Scatty on this one - as well as the fact that this series is the exception. I like the story to have an end that is in sight. I think the Flamel series is different because the storyline itself is only a matter of days plus, it's such a quick read. You just can't wait to get to the next chapter and find out what's going to happen.

user posted image

Aura Color: Émeraude
Aura Scent: Garlic and Onions sautéing in Butter
Latin Motto: Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Sorcerer

#11 [url]

Aug 9 10 8:54 PM

i love the size of hp series.
i also think i love (due to the fact not all of them are out) the Flamel series.
trilogies are also cool its just i read really fast therefore i go through them fast

user posted image
Aura:Emerald
Scent:Raspberry
I have been Awakened... I am a master of Fire... Water... Earth and Air... and an apprentice to a master of Time... I posess the gift of Foresight...

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 10 10 2:57 AM

I chose 2-4 books. The reason for this is that I really like there to be more than one book in the series to read, but I don't like it when it starts to go longer than say 7 books. Example: Animorphs. They're great books but there is like 50 of them out there so it is hard to get them all together and you are always bound to be missing a part of the series.

The perfect book series length would be for me 3-7. It's easier for you to keep 3-7 books together on your shelf. After 9 books I might just be exhausted of the series, you know what I mean? But Harry Potter and the Flamel books are good.
For trilogies, I like the books to be thick, but if its a longer series, mid-sized is best.

user posted image
My aura is colored the scarlet of the setting sun, and its distinctive scent is that of a ripe green apple.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 10 10 3:02 AM

I'm so with you on that, AA. I loved the Saddle Club books when I was a kid, but I was so obsessed with reading them in order that I think I got up to maybe number 7 before I gave up. Library was always out of the one I needed, you know how it is.

user posted image
Aura: Black Scent: Dried Basil
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 10 10 5:44 AM

QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ August 09, 2010 09:20 am)
I like the medium serials because it gives me a chance to get to know a set of characters, enjoy them, and spend some time with them. But, it also puts an end to the story - because I think the best stories do in fact eventually need to end - especially since the end is often the best part!

I agree, with a medium serial you get to know the characters enough that you care about what happens to them without the series dragging out to the point that it loses the magic that captured you in the first place.

Aura color: Violet
Scent: Juniper

Quote    Reply   

Elena

Immortal

#15 [url]

Aug 11 10 5:33 PM

I agree with Fuzzy. I voted for medium serials though because so far all my favourite series are 5-7 books (harry potter, flamel series etc) but it doesn't really matter to me. As long as the book is good I'll read it.

user posted image
Pottermore: GoldAccio87 | Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness..

Quote    Reply   

saphira243

Spellcaster

#16 [url]

Aug 11 10 6:29 PM

I picked 5-7 just because there has to be a long books series that keeps me interested.

user posted image
I am the Master of Night. I'm that feeling your being watched.
Aura color: Sapphire Aura scent: ice

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 12 10 1:24 AM

I voted very large, but it depends on the series. Like the one I'm reading now, The Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole series.

user posted image
"Be as smart as you can, but remember that it is always better to be wise than to be smart."
Alan Alda

Aura: Raincloud Grey Scent: Fresh Rain mixed with Lilac
Favorite Element: Air, Earth

Quote    Reply   

Calliope

Sorcerer

#19 [url]

Aug 20 10 4:17 AM

I voted Medium... but this rule only really applies to certain types of fiction for me. If it's a really good series, but quite small (i.e. Dark Song, Tales of the Otori) I will still read it... but if it's huge, say ten or eleven books... my interest wanes a bit near the middle (especially if you are forever waiting for the next book, as I'm doing for a series at the moment.) Stand alone books, I think, are good up until a certain point - if it's a stand alone that should be continued into a series (i.e. Parkland), I get disappointed and put off of those types of books for a while. But then there are, like, stand alones that are somehow related to another series which can be good... but sometimes they can actually ruin your perception of the series... yeah, I tend to veer away from those unless the series is really good.

And there are also these sort of "non-chronological" serials.. where they don't really run in a set order, or they don't follow the same story, but are somehow collected together at some point and called a series - sort of like a collection of short stories except there's one story per book... which also leaves me wondering whether we call a stand-alone book of short stories a "series" or a "singular" book...? The funny thing, for me, is that these sort of expectations and regulations are really only applied to the sort of fiction I read. Non-fiction is another story.

user posted image

Aura Colour: Jade 
Aura Scent: Black Tea and Chocolate

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 23 10 8:03 PM

I chose medium because that's the average size of the books I read that I like. But I'll read anything as long as the author doesn't decide to make more books after all of the important questions are answered and the characters are at a point where the series can be stopped. Then it just gets annoying.
And I had no idea the plural for series is serials. I thought it was serieses.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help