Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

Lead

Oct 2 08 1:36 AM

Tags : :

So here we are the very first book in a promising series..what are your thoughts..love it, hate it (if so..you're on the wrong forum lol!)..wonder what's coming next? Post away friends
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

hitmanjls

Next Generation Elder

#2 [url]

Oct 12 08 3:45 AM

I actually really liked this book! Just when you think that no more mythology can possibly be linked *BAM* he ties in Atlantis! lol

I've read some reviews about having a vast number of characters and not being able to flesh them out enough... But I don't buy that at all... I mean this is a scheduled 6 book series! There is plenty of time for fleshing!

But, in my opinion reading is very different from audiobooks and now all my books I listen to in audio. So I think that having someone read the book to you gives you more freedom to explore the world in your head. Because if you're reading the actual process of reading and trying to pronounce some of the names is just one more distraction.

I'm really looking forward to starting The Magician soon!

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#3 [url]

Oct 12 08 3:56 AM

I just finished reading the Alchemyst the other day, and I enjoyed it. I really like how all the characters are from history or mythology. I think it adds an interesting dynamic to the story. I like how each character seems to have their own specialty and adds their own talents to the adventure in a unique way. The characters all have their individual purposes and im sure they will develop further in the future. I also feel like there is a lot of mystery and story still left to be uncovered, and Im excited to continue reading the saga with the magician and I look forward to more books to come.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 18 08 12:18 AM

I like how he weaves the magic into mythology. He takes the basis of what may of us know or have heard in stories before, and adds a new twist or bend to them. I love the idea of an Elder Race and the Shadowrelms they now inhabit.

And coming from a love of vampire stories (Buffy, Twilight) I am anxious to hear more about the vampires of Michael Scott's world.

(and a side note, I had to laugh when I finally connected the author's name to the boss on the American version if "The Office" which is a fave show of mine!)

user posted image

Aura: Dark Orchid
Aura Scent: Wild Lilac

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#5 [url]

Oct 18 08 1:50 AM

Funny thing is that I read this some time ago- in fact, I picked it up at the Deathly Hallows release party and started to read it while I was waiting in line for Midnight and my DH copy. I speed through DH, twice, and then finished this. It was a good story. I really, really liked the tree.

The only thing is, I was and still am, a little frustrated with books that can't really stand on their own even when they are part of a story. This didn't have enough of an ending for me. That is why I have hesitated to purchase the Magician. What I mean is that while we all knew Voldy would be back and the overall story wasn't over until DH, each book had it's own plot and story arch that had an ending itself. I like that about books - this one left me feeling like it just stopped mid thought. I would prefer to see each of the series be able to have some closure individually too.

But, the imagery associated with the scenes in the tree was a.m.a.z.i.n.g.!! Loved it. I will add more thoughts after I re-read it - which I guess I need to do now that I have joined this group!!

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#6 [url]

Oct 19 08 12:24 AM

My most favourite element to the series is also how he weaves so many people/ characters from mythology into the books, I grew up hearing stories of wizards, witches, giants (my favourite was the tale of Finn McCool) and deities, I think it is sad that a lot of inherited myth and lore is lost because the stories are not passed down as they once were, I am so happy to see Michael revive them and entwine them with all the modern day gadgetry that is so familiar to teens these days, and in a way that it sparks their curiosity and has them googling! (got to love google and wiki!)
On the point of incomplete stories within the story, I feel that it is simply a case of different writing styles, the style Dreaming mentions is very prevalent with J K Rowling's works, I find Michael's to be more akin to Tolkein..especially his Lord of the Rings trilogy, you never really got an answer to most of the questions on the story until you finished the final book..i feel that may be the case with this series too! And yes, I too love his very descriptive writing, it's always a sign of a good book to me when I can picture the "movie" of the book playing in my mind while i'm reading!

And yes Dreaming, I do recommend you re-read The Alchemyst and buy The Magician..I don't think you will be disappointed!

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 22 08 12:23 AM

!WOW! I never read any books about magic that had that much specific details about it.(Well explained its own way) I bought the book thinking that it would just be another entertaining book, but it wasn't just good, it was amazing! flamelssecret/clap3.gif I also liked how it showed other character's point of views just like in my other favorite series Pendragon by: D.J. MacHale

Quitters never win and Winners never quit.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 22 08 9:24 PM

Really a great start to the series, I love how after each chapter, Id be rushing to wikipedia to find out more about the mythological characters!! It blew my mind (its an awesome smiley, I had to!) flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif

-Mo
The Alchemyst and The Magician are awesome!!

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#9 [url]

Oct 22 08 11:22 PM

QUOTE (momoney433 @ October 22, 2008 10:24 pm)
Really a great start to the series, I love how after each chapter, Id be rushing to wikipedia to find out more about the mythological characters!! It blew my mind (its an awesome smiley, I had to!) flamelssecret/sFun_explosive.gif

LOl @ your smiley remark! It is a great one isn't it? and researching the characters on wiki is something that i'm sure will really please Michael, not to mention it adds a whole new layer of depth to the characters!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 22 08 11:41 PM

Lol.. now that i think about it ive recently looked up a lot of the characters on Wikipedia..some being Scatnach,, the Morriggan, Nicholas Flamel and Perenelle its very interesting

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 22 08 11:57 PM

Oh yeah, Wiki has helped me furthur understand the books a lot. Some things that are metioned there tell a lot about the characters, especially the Elders. And wiki helps me make predictions about future events, which is pretty cool.

-Mo

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 24 08 9:18 PM

QUOTE (Diehard Bob @ October 24, 2008 03:44 pm)
I was playing a game while someone was watching Oprah behind me, and they mentioned this book  flamelssecret/clap3.gif

For real?? Thats awesome!! Ill try to find a youtube of it!

-Mo

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#17 [url]

Oct 26 08 2:23 AM

QUOTE (momoney433 @ October 25, 2008 04:47 pm)
I cant find it anywhere Ive looked on Youtube, Oprah's Site, everywhere. Hrmpff. Oh well.

Well thank you for trying Mo..and if anyone does find the video, please post the link up! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 28 08 12:21 AM

I read The Alchemyst in mid-January this year and I really, really liked it. It was so well done. I think I love Sophie, and I was back and forth on Josh because I totally understand his frustration and feelings, but at the same time, I wish he'd try seeing it from Sophie's point of view.

Perennelle is wicked cool, and Nicolas rocks. I was crushed when ... shoot, what's her name? I need to reread. Anyway, I hate when the goddess-whose-name-I-cant'-remember-but-it-starts-with-an-'H'-I-think...I was crushed when her realm collapsed. (EDIT: Her name is Hekate. ) Those mud men - golems - are highly creepy, too. And Dee - how deliciously, disturbingly evil is that guy?!

I LOVE the whole aura/scent thing, and I laughed when Sophie and Josh's auras were oranges and vanilla ice cream. Made me think of orangicles (Dreamsicles are their actual name here, the orange stuff wrapped around vanilla ice cream on a stick?), and I actually had to go get some. 'Cause they're good.

The friend who told me about these books actually found a video trailer - about the books, not any possible films - and it's pretty cool. In the video, neither Nicolas nor Dee look anything like what I imagined, nor do Sophie or Josh - but the Morrigan looks incredible, and it's quite awesome that a trailer was even made for the books.

Here it is, if you'd like to watch/see it: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. - Dumbledore

Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. ~ 1 Corinthians 15:51-52

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#19 [url]

Oct 28 08 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Psyche @ October 28, 2008 01:21 am)

The friend who told me about these books actually found a video trailer - about the books, not any possible films - and it's pretty cool. In the video, neither Nicolas nor Dee look anything like what I imagined, nor do Sophie or Josh - but the Morrigan looks incredible, and it's quite awesome that a trailer was even made for the books.

Thanks for that info Psyche, the trailer you mention is on the Random House's website, the trailer does not show the actors that will eventually play the roles, it was, as you point out, to advertise the book, we look forward to seeing the first movie trailer to see who is going to play the roles! There are several suggestions in the movie thread, maybe you'd like to join in that discussion with your ideas?

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 28 08 1:29 AM

QUOTE (Psyche @ October 27, 2008 07:21 pm)
I LOVE the whole aura/scent thing, and I laughed when Sophie and Josh's auras were oranges and vanilla ice cream. Made me think of orangicles (Dreamsicles are their actual name here, the orange stuff wrapped around vanilla ice cream on a stick?), and I actually had to go get some. 'Cause they're good.

ROTFLMAO!!! nice story

-Mo

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help