Remove this ad

#1261 [url]

Jun 13 12 1:15 AM

I thought Merthyu was a pretty much needed character for the ending. Josh as Merythu blew my mind away. I wished Merthy talked to Josh more before they revealed Josh was Merthyu. Perhaps it was the right thing to do to not allow them to meet and only at the end did they finally joined.

Please just call me Pi3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751...

user posted image
Aura color: Purple
Aura scent: Grapes

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1262 [url]

Jun 13 12 1:29 AM

QUOTE (Perseus @ June 12, 2012 06:38 pm)
i don't really understand what Josh became by taking on the hook did he just become immortal and extremely powerful somehow? and alsoin the book dee noticed that he had no heart beat any ideas on what he could be? (and yes i know he says he's still human)

Well, I'm not sure the hook is the reason behind his immortality... he does have the codex and therefore the elixir of life, maybe he uses that? Also my bet about the lack of a heartbeat/no aura also is caused by the swords/hook. They probably absorb his aura & possibly his heartbeat too, but because of the power they contain they probably also keep him alive (or is it dead )

user posted image
"After all this time?" Always...
Aura: Dark Purple & Dark Green...... Scent: Cave Mud...... Element:Fire

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#1263 [url]

Jun 13 12 1:13 PM

QUOTE (phoenix11 @ June 12, 2012 08:29 pm)
i don't really understand what Josh became by taking on the hook did he just become immortal and extremely powerful somehow? and alsoin the book dee noticed that he had no heart beat any ideas on what he could be? (and yes i know he says he's still human)

Well, I'm not sure the hook is the reason behind his immortality... he does have the codex and therefore the elixir of life, maybe he uses that? Also my bet about the lack of a heartbeat/no aura also is caused by the swords/hook. They probably absorb his aura & possibly his heartbeat too, but because of the power they contain they probably also keep him alive (or is it dead )

well when josh became marethyu he became death, and dee notes that he doesnt really breath, so I dont think he's immortal I think he's more akin to a grim reaper. He walks the earth but isnt really alive.

Quote    Reply   

#1264 [url]

Jun 13 12 7:24 PM

well i made the theroy that because marethyu is death his life force is joined with the earths then i read the epilouge at the back of the book and it said" i will watch over you like i have always done" and i relized john aka marethyu is alive as long as sophie is or maybe is life force is adjoined with sophie and the earth

Aura: Red
Scent: fresh corn dogs

Quote    Reply   

merlin67

Spellcaster

#1265 [url]

Jun 13 12 10:00 PM

QUOTE (gold king @ June 14, 2012 03:24 am)
well i made the theroy that because marethyu is death his life force is joined with the earths then i read the epilouge at the back of the book and it said" i will watch over you like i have always done" and i relized john aka marethyu is alive as long as sophie is or maybe is life force is adjoined with sophie and the earth

interesting theory flamelssecret/confused0058.gif

user posted image
it is good to have an end to journey towards but in the end it is the journey that matters
Aura color: dark brown
Aura scent: freshly melted chocolate chips
Ability:the five elements Earth,Fire,water,air and CHEESE

Quote    Reply   

#1266 [url]

Jun 15 12 3:26 PM

Allow me a moment to gloat:

Josh is Marethyu! Take that all you non-believers! flamelssecret/raspberry.gif

user posted image
"Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though." - Douglas Adams
"What a crazy random happenstance!" - Billy-Buddy
Immortal - Ravenclaw - State Alchemist (The Antimatter Alchemist) - Gambit Galloway (Adept) - Dranaei Hunter
Aura: Color: Seafoam Green. Scent: Roses. Elder Master: Loki.

Quote    Reply   

merlin67

Spellcaster

#1267 [url]

Jun 15 12 8:06 PM

QUOTE (Saint-GerManiac @ June 15, 2012 11:26 pm)
Allow me a moment to gloat:

Josh is Marethyu! Take that all you non-believers! flamelssecret/raspberry.gif

i know right after i finished i phoned my cousin who was a non believer he was shocked i was not

user posted image
it is good to have an end to journey towards but in the end it is the journey that matters
Aura color: dark brown
Aura scent: freshly melted chocolate chips
Ability:the five elements Earth,Fire,water,air and CHEESE

Quote    Reply   

#1269 [url]

Jun 17 12 9:01 AM

Wait Josh was Marethyu? I thought that Spacey was Marethyu or Josh or....

user posted image

Aura Color: Midnight Blue......Aura Scent: Fresh Honey
You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Quote    Reply   

The Will

Sorcerer

#1270 [url]

Jun 21 12 3:08 PM

QUOTE (phoenix11 @ June 12, 2012 09:29 pm)

Actually, I found something interesting about that no aura statement.

In the very last chapter (The scene where he takes the Flamels back to Paris) I found this nifty little quote:

“Josh is no more. Now I am Marethyu. I am Death, and I am here to take you home.” His hook moved and a golden arc appeared over the bench. The air suddenly smelled of oranges, and he smiled. “You did say Paris, didn’t you?”
The leygate opened and then winked out of existence.

This of course is either his aura being used, or something VERY reminiscent of his aura.

But, of course there's that wonderful quote from chapter 15;

Dee reached up and caught Marethyu’s arm. “I cannot feel your aura.”
“I don’t have one.”
“Everyone has an aura,” Dee murmured, confusion once again coming over him.
“Everyone living,” the man answered.
“You are dead?”
“I am Death.”

From my perspective of Marethyu's personal timeline, the Marethyu we met in The Shadowrealm is significantly older than the Marethyu we saw opening the leygate. It seems to me that sometime in his long, long, life Marethyu either lost, or somehow sold his aura for "The Greater Good", of the world.

But with that being said, my perspective of his timeline is skewed due the confusing nature of his history.

aura: Blue Smell:Cofee
user posted image
Art is dead. So people think you're funny? How'd you get those peoples money. ~ Art is Dead

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#1271 [url]

Jun 21 12 3:27 PM

QUOTE (The Will @ June 21, 2012 10:08 am)
QUOTE (phoenix11 @ June 12, 2012 09:29 pm)

Actually, I found something interesting about that no aura statement.

In the very last chapter (The scene where he takes the Flamels back to Paris) I found this nifty little quote:

“Josh is no more. Now I am Marethyu. I am Death, and I am here to take you home.” His hook moved and a golden arc appeared over the bench. The air suddenly smelled of oranges, and he smiled. “You did say Paris, didn’t you?”
The leygate opened and then winked out of existence.

This of course is either his aura being used, or something VERY reminiscent of his aura.

I think because the hook is comprised of all four swords and we know the swords can open leygates he was using the power of the hook/swords to open a leygate in that instance not his aura.

QUOTE (The Will)
But, of course there's that wonderful quote from chapter 15;

Dee reached up and caught Marethyu’s arm. “I cannot feel your aura.”
“I don’t have one.”
“Everyone has an aura,” Dee murmured, confusion once again coming over him.
“Everyone living,” the man answered.
“You are dead?”
“I am Death.”

From my perspective of Marethyu's personal timeline, the Marethyu we met in The Shadowrealm is significantly older than the Marethyu we saw opening the leygate. It seems to me that sometime in his long, long, life Marethyu either lost, or somehow sold his aura for "The Greater Good", of the world.

But with that being said, my perspective of his timeline is skewed due the confusing nature of his history.

Im not sure I 100% understand his timeline but its possible that immediately after josh became marethyu he went to the dying perenelle and nick, but its also possible that this happened at a later time say after marethyu successfully carried out all his plans on danu talis. So its possible it was the very old marethyu that also opened the leygate long after he built his shadowrealm took scatty and co to the past and encountered dee on danu talis.

Quote    Reply   

The Will

Sorcerer

#1272 [url]

Jun 21 12 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Spacecadet @ June 21, 2012 11:27 am)
I think because the hook is comprised of all four swords and we know the swords can open leygates he was using the power of the hook/swords to open a leygate in that instance not his aura.

In previous displays of "The Hooks" power, it never seemed to give off energy rather diffrent than an an aura. As in the Warlock when he uses The Hook to destroy the ancient map of Danu Talis it's described as throwing a shadow over Marethyu, and having slightly sour scent. As Josh's aura is neither shadowy (I would actually describe gold as the opposite of shadowy), and oranges never struck me of having a particularly scent.

And assuming The Hook abides by the same rules as the swords; it needs a power source to run off of (Almost like a lamp to a socket). And as The Hook seems to be infinitely more powerful than a single Sword of Power it would need a significantly larger pool of energy. And as the swords pulled power out of Josh, just to cut through some tough skin, I'd imagine something like The Hook would be constantly pulling energy from the user, leaving him without an aura, but still magnificent powers.

aura: Blue Smell:Cofee
user posted image
Art is dead. So people think you're funny? How'd you get those peoples money. ~ Art is Dead

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#1273 [url]

Jun 22 12 9:06 AM

QUOTE (The Will @ June 21, 2012 10:22 pm)
QUOTE (Spacecadet @ June 21, 2012 11:27 am)

In previous displays of "The Hooks" power, it never seemed to give off energy rather diffrent than an an aura. As in the Warlock when he uses The Hook to destroy the ancient map of Danu Talis it's described as throwing a shadow over Marethyu, and having slightly sour scent. As Josh's aura is neither shadowy (I would actually describe gold as the opposite of shadowy), and oranges never struck me of having a particularly scent.

And assuming The Hook abides by the same rules as the swords; it needs a power source to run off of (Almost like a lamp to a socket). And as The Hook seems to be infinitely more powerful than a single Sword of Power it would need a significantly larger pool of energy. And as the swords pulled power out of Josh, just to cut through some tough skin, I'd imagine something like The Hook would be constantly pulling energy from the user, leaving him without an aura, but still magnificent powers.

You bring up a very good point, I'm thinking, the canon was being extremely vague when Marethyu used his powers in The Warlock, a bright light does illuminate a scene and true enough, like you said very different from a shadow, but it does cast a shadow depending on the placement of said light. Also, he was electrocution shortly before being brought to Aten and we've seen throughout the series that scent does take on a 'sour' or 'bitter' nature if and when the owner is/was under stress or have used much of his aura.

I do agree on the hook needing a constant aura floe to activate it's powers and that it and Marethyu are at the same feeding of each other's powers. In the Necromancer the swords only pulsates when it felt the auras in Dee's room in Enoch. I don't think that the person is devoid of their scent when using it rather it either strengthens it or the scent takes on a sour quality.

user posted image
Ravenclaw | Ekaterina Agent | Mage
"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" ~ A. E.
Aura: RED
Scent: warm sea breeze

Quote    Reply   

Ptolemy

Apprentice

#1274 [url]

Jul 4 12 5:08 AM

I am still trying to figure out who in myth or legend he is! It is maddening! Has anyone figured it out?

user posted image

Aura colour:Dark Red..........Aura scent: AppleCinnamon

Quote    Reply   

Papa Pat

Apprentice

#1275 [url]

Jul 4 12 5:46 PM

QUOTE (Ptolemy @ July 03, 2012 10:08 pm)
I am still trying to figure out who in myth or legend he is! It is maddening! Has anyone figured it out?

Marethyu (the name) seems to come down from Sanskrit "Mrtyu" of several thousand years ago. It's cognate with the Roman/Latin words "Mors" and "Mortis", both of which mean "Mortal" - like a "mortal wound" : one which will cause death.

Quite a few cultures and their mythologies have words for death (the process) and Death (the personification of the process):

Hindu - Mara (probably directly from Sanskrit)
Canaanite - Mot
Celtic - Morrigan (where have we heard of HER before?)
Latvian - Māra
Slavic - Morana

Josh, in becoming Marethyu, has become that which all humani fear unless they have accepted death as being inevitible - "The next great adventure", to quote Albus Dumbledore. He's not a monster ravening for the kill. He may be looking for the owner of a small, copper-sheathed book. Not to take the book, but to give its owner certain ... instruction ... on how to use it.

Or not.

Aura color: Plaid.
Scent: Cilantro.

Quote    Reply   

#1276 [url]

Jul 11 12 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Spacecadet @ June 21, 2012 03:27 pm)
Im not sure I 100% understand his timeline but its possible that immediately after josh became marethyu he went to the dying perenelle and nick, but its also possible that this happened at a later time say after marethyu successfully carried out all his plans on danu talis. So its possible it was the very old marethyu that also opened the leygate long after he built his shadowrealm took scatty and co to the past and encountered dee on danu talis.

When Marethyu shows up in front up Nicholas and Perrenelle, they recognize by looking at his face. But his face is "lined and scarred", which implies that he has been traveling for years. (millenia, most likely)

Aura Color: Dodger Blue
Aura Scent: Woodsmoke

Quote    Reply   

Perseus

Spellcaster

#1277 [url]

Jul 12 12 10:12 PM

To the best of my knowledge Mareythu was a man fully grown, I'm assuming that this means the Josh only became immortal years after he became Death?

user posted image
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
Aura Color Maroon...... Aura Scent Ozone......Elemental: Aether

Quote    Reply   

Papa Pat

Apprentice

#1278 [url]

Jul 13 12 1:46 AM

QUOTE (Perseus @ July 12, 2012 03:12 pm)
To the best of my knowledge Mareythu was a man fully grown, I'm assuming that this means the Josh only became immortal years after he became Death?

I'd offer that a LOT of things happened to Josh when he became Marethyu besides having his hand replaced with a hook. I'd imagine he became at that moment the fully-grown figure of Death. He wouldn't grow older in his physical body, and any scars he had on his body at the moment of his "Deathification" remained afterward.

Aura color: Plaid.
Scent: Cilantro.

Quote    Reply   

#1279 [url]

Jul 13 12 7:35 PM

I think people are thinking that when a person becomes immortal they stop aging. While that may or may not be true physically, life takes it toll on you. After thousands and thousands of years life will have taken its toll on Marethyu. This is evidenced by his hook.

user posted image

Aura Color: Midnight Blue......Aura Scent: Fresh Honey
You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Quote    Reply   

#1280 [url]

Jul 21 12 11:30 PM

I wonder how Josh gained the ability to give others immortality. Also how the artifacts have no effect on him.

I really hope marethyu is in the Earthlords series.

"Fire is the most power full of all magics<---- " --Comte De Saint Germain ( Francis)
aura color: light red aura smell: pomegranates
Magics Mastered: water and Fire..........Kind: Magician..........Magics Learned: All
user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help