Remove this ad

#1241 [url]

Mar 30 12 11:46 PM

QUOTE (Mandragora @ March 21, 2012 12:49 am)
QUOTE (GodofDeath @ March 20, 2012 03:12 am)
Nobody has mentioned Ankou i don't think. Only looked through a couple dozen pages so i could be wrong.  Ankou seems to fit Marethyu's description pretty well.  Ankou was also known as Arawn.
*TEXT REMOVED*
•He is the personification of death in Breton, Norman and Cornish folklore
•He has a hook/scythe which is mostly depicted as being in Ankou's left hand.
•He is also known as the "Black God" (dark aura? eh? maybe coincidence)
•He is master of Cosmos
•He carries an hourglass with black sand (woah! sounds like marethyu... time control)
•"Long is the day and long is the night, and long is the waiting of Arawn/Ankou". this quote from Cardigan folktale resembles Marethyu very much as well (lots of waiting).
•Ankou was once a king/prince (Mr. Scotts quote a year back.."search for kings, claws,...")
•Ankou was forced to roam the earth for all eternity as a ghoul. (that fits Marethyu's description pretty well as well).
•Ankou was once Human, can control time, is god of death, roams earth forever (explains how the earth lords and so on knew him), he wears all black, much like Marethyu
There are probably some similarities i left out, but ill let you research those.
_______
Why is everyone assuming that Marethyu is one of the fictional characters that Mr. Scott created?  I assumed that Marethyu was supposed to be a god/man anchored in history.  At least thats what it seems looking at Mr. Scotts various hints...  Why would he tell us to search for injured kings, claws and (forgot his third keyword).  Obviously searching any of these in Google will not give you "josh" as your answer.  I think the best way to interpret Marethyu is that he lived so long that he has been called many names and so he is many Death Gods.  He is the personification of Death throughout the whole history of time.  Anyways that was just a trip inside my head.  You can probably tell it's sorta disorganized. 

Religious themes do not feature in the series and it is against the code of conduct to discuss them. In the future please refrain from doing so. Thanks ~SC

I mentioned Ankou awhile back. I also came to the conclusion that it was probably just another personification of Death. Very nice reasoning on your part.

Maybe Marethyu used to be Josh and later becomes known as Arawn/Ankou (so he is actually both)?

Aura color: turquoise
Aura scent: pine
Magics: fire and aether

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1242 [url]

Apr 2 12 10:23 PM

Thanatos has been mentioned before but I keep associated marethyu with him. Thanatos' symbol has been known as a Butterfly. That is exactly what he put as a trigger on St. Germaine's arm when he taught him the magic of fire.

Another interesting fact. The Theta letter in the greek alphabet is also related to Thanatos. It is a circle with a cross in the middle. Just like Nicholas Flamel's trigger.

Quote    Reply   

#1243 [url]

Apr 3 12 12:20 AM

QUOTE (Mandragora @ April 02, 2012 10:23 pm)
Thanatos has been mentioned before but I keep associated marethyu with him. Thanatos' symbol has been known as a Butterfly. That is exactly what he put as a trigger on St. Germaine's arm when he taught him the magic of fire.

Another interesting fact. The Theta letter in the greek alphabet is also related to Thanatos. It is a circle with a cross in the middle. Just like Nicholas Flamel's trigger.

Thanatos is the personification of Death in Greek myth. Maybe he is related to Marethyu somehow Mandragora, which fits your description perfectly.

But, I don't think Marethyu taught Nick fire magic, was it mentioned in the books?

Auric Color: Translucent White
Auric Scent: Sampaguita

"Remember, at the heart of every myth and legend lies a grain of truth."

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1244 [url]

Apr 3 12 3:59 PM

QUOTE (Janus the Two-Faced God @ April 03, 2012 12:20 am)
QUOTE (Mandragora @ April 02, 2012 10:23 pm)

Thanatos is the personification of Death in Greek myth. Maybe he is related to Marethyu somehow Mandragora, which fits your description perfectly.

But, I don't think Marethyu taught Nick fire magic, was it mentioned in the books?

No it wasn't mentioned. Actually Nick's trigger tattoo is the symbol for Earth(Terra), or so we know of so far, I just thought it was interesting that both of those symbols associate with Thanatos.

Quote    Reply   

#1245 [url]

Apr 5 12 1:28 AM

well i dont know who anow is sorry if i spelt it wrong but micheal said it was someone mentioned since book one i never read about anow or mars till the past the first book list all the chacters in book one.

Please don't use text talk. Thanks! ~Elena

Aura: Red
Scent: fresh corn dogs

Quote    Reply   

#1246 [url]

Apr 6 12 2:34 AM

Wait, did Mr. Scott actually say marethyu was a character in the books since the first one?

aura:purple
scent:apple pie
user posted image
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#1247 [url]

Apr 6 12 2:05 PM

QUOTE (ronneemango @ April 05, 2012 09:34 pm)
Wait, did Mr. Scott actually say marethyu was a character in the books since the first one?

I unfortunately do not remember the exact wording, and you may want to use the search function to see if you cant find the post but at some point either after the sorceress or necromancer release I believe he said someone had guessed who the hook handed man was, but im not sure if he said we'd met them or not. But you have to be very careful in how you interpret Michael Scott's wording as he can be very tricky sometimes.

Quote    Reply   

#1248 [url]

Apr 9 12 9:54 AM

Here's a sudden thought: what if Mareythu is one of the twins Nicholas had brought to Awake years back?

"On the top of Notre Dame, Dee and Machiavelli watched as Flamel and the others picked their way through the smoking piles of masonry, heading in the direction of the bridge..."

Michael Scott, "The Magician", page 454, first paragraph.

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#1249 [url]

Apr 9 12 1:06 PM

QUOTE (Venoturus @ April 09, 2012 04:54 am)
Here's a sudden thought: what if Mareythu is one of the twins Nicholas had brought to Awake years back?

That's an interesting thought. However I think there would be some serious explaining that would have to go on for that to be true, as it was stated that all the other awakened twins either died or went completely crazy. And although marethyu is not your average character i dont think he's crazy.

Quote    Reply   

#1250 [url]

Apr 9 12 2:03 PM

It's a really scary, awesome theory! But I'm not sure if it's possible, as Marethyu told Perenelle her future long before she met Nicholas, much less before he started searching for the twins of legend.
But if your theory's right, it would be so cool! It would be a terrifying scene, that revelation.

willshakespeare-immortalbard

user posted image
"And you know I never listen to you anyway." ~Will S, The Sorceress.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1253 [url]

Jun 12 12 1:18 AM

Marethyu and josh are the same person, that was so intense, him taking the hook, i was sitting on the edge of my seat with anticipation. I went on vacation so I was not able to read the book until the thirty first. The josh-marethyu was my favorite part.

Aura color: Dark Green
Aura scent: Apple Orchard

Quote    Reply   

#1254 [url]

Jun 12 12 1:31 AM

I'm so proud of myself right now.... I believe I was the first person to come up with the theory that Josh = Marethyu on this forum, all the way back when the Necromancer came out.

I found it all the way back on Page 3......

This is the theory I posted in the Necromance thread, thought I'd post it here too:
Adding on to my previous theory:

I have this Theory about Marethyu that just came to me. So I was thinking due to the multiple references of how they have met him before, but haven't(Marethyu says that if they had met before they would've remembered the hook) when Joan, Scatty, and the others were with him in his Shadowrealm. That he is someone that they know, sent back in time, achieved immortality, and became Marethyu as he is Today. I personally have a feeling that it might be Josh, as he has blue eyes(which other characters have blue eyes again?Can't remember), and that he is The Necromancer which has to do with death. Also I have a theory for why he has the hook, so I was thinking that in the Warlock Sophie and possibly the Flamels get sent back too by Chronos, and then Josh has a change of heart and wants to follow. But, Chronos refuses, and Josh bargains with him, and the price of the trip back in time was his hand.

So what if the fighting by the original twins that caused Danu Talis to sink was actuattly the confrontation of Sophie and Josh, and that could be what Tammuz means when he said that the Marethyu caused the island to sink.

Aura:Sunshine Yellow
Scent:Ozone

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1255 [url]

Jun 12 12 1:35 AM

QUOTE (mrprecise @ June 11, 2012 08:31 pm)
I'm so proud of myself right now.... I believe I was the first person to come up with the theory that Josh = Marethyu on this forum, all the way back when the Necromancer came out.

I found it all the way back on Page 3......

This is the theory I posted in the Necromance thread, thought I'd post it here too:
Adding on to my previous theory:

I have this Theory about Marethyu that just came to me. So I was thinking due to the multiple references of how they have met him before, but haven't(Marethyu says that if they had met before they would've remembered the hook) when Joan, Scatty, and the others were with him in his Shadowrealm. That he is someone that they know, sent back in time, achieved immortality, and became Marethyu as he is Today. I personally have a feeling that it might be Josh, as he has blue eyes(which other characters have blue eyes again?Can't remember), and that he is The Necromancer which has to do with death. Also I have a theory for why he has the hook, so I was thinking that in the Warlock Sophie and possibly the Flamels get sent back too by Chronos, and then Josh has a change of heart and wants to follow. But, Chronos refuses, and Josh bargains with him, and the price of the trip back in time was his hand.

So what if the fighting by the original twins that caused Danu Talis to sink was actuattly the confrontation of Sophie and Josh, and that could be what Tammuz means when he said that the Marethyu caused the island to sink.

Wow, you were so close, the hook was a price he had to pay, except it was to himself, not Chronos. They also said that Marethyu had blond hair. (Not sure which book) At least we now know that we have indeed seen him (Figuratively, since he's a character in a book) since book one.

Quote    Reply   

#1256 [url]

Jun 12 12 1:53 AM

I was so happy when it turned out the Marethyu was Josh. I supported that theory since the first time we saw Marethyu, in the shadowrealm he'd made that had no snakes, and the fact that he had blond hair and blue eyes. When he told the group on Danu Talis something that his father had said to him, or the man he thought was his father, had said, I was convinced.
When that was revealed, I actually put my book down, held up both hands for high fives, and then realized there wasn't anybody in the room to reciprocate.
The scene at the top of the pyramid was intense! so intense!

user posted image
Aura colorAmber
Aura scent:Cedar boughs

Quote    Reply   

#1257 [url]

Jun 12 12 10:20 AM

QUOTE (cedargirl @ June 11, 2012 08:53 pm)
I was so happy when it turned out the Marethyu was Josh. I supported that theory since the first time we saw Marethyu, in the shadowrealm he'd made that had no snakes, and the fact that he had blond hair and blue eyes. When he told the group on Danu Talis something that his father had said to him, or the man he thought was his father, had said, I was convinced.
When that was revealed, I actually put my book down, held up both hands for high fives, and then realized there wasn't anybody in the room to reciprocate.
The scene at the top of the pyramid was intense! so intense!

Thats what did it for me also, the part where he said that the man he thought to be his father told him something. Too bad there was no one to give you a high five!

Quote    Reply   

merlin67

Spellcaster

#1258 [url]

Jun 12 12 11:26 AM

since i finished the necromancer i have supported and came up with a marethyu josh theory i was right YAY!

user posted image
it is good to have an end to journey towards but in the end it is the journey that matters
Aura color: dark brown
Aura scent: freshly melted chocolate chips
Ability:the five elements Earth,Fire,water,air and CHEESE

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#1259 [url]

Jun 12 12 1:42 PM

QUOTE (gold king @ June 11, 2012 08:13 pm)
Well since its open josh is marethyu the hook is the four swords of power and sophie is alive but josh had to ditch her

On the forums we like to encourage discussion. While we are now allowing spoilers, just posting a spoiler really does not offer much to the discussion unless you comment on them in some way. Did these things surprise you? did you like this outcome? did this bring up other thoughts? Commenting on things like that allows others to join in a conversation with you. So please keep that in mind when you make posts in the future.

Quote    Reply   

Perseus

Spellcaster

#1260 [url]

Jun 13 12 12:38 AM

i don't really understand what Josh became by taking on the hook did he just become immortal and extremely powerful somehow? and alsoin the book dee noticed that he had no heart beat any ideas on what he could be? (and yes i know he says he's still human)

user posted image
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
Aura Color Maroon...... Aura Scent Ozone......Elemental: Aether

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help