Remove this ad

#1041 [url]

Oct 17 11 3:16 AM

You seemed to be implying that Marethyu is more powerful than Chronos, the Master of Time..

Auric Color: Translucent White
Auric Scent: Sampaguita

"Remember, at the heart of every myth and legend lies a grain of truth."

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#1042 [url]

Oct 17 11 3:22 PM

QUOTE (Shadow Knight @ October 16, 2011 09:56 pm)
QUOTE (flamel's fav fan @ October 16, 2011 06:33 pm)
Apollo maybe but not Osiris,
our Osiris is bald.
he doesn't have blonde hair,
but it could be Josh... long blonde hair, blue eyes, sour aura, possible golden aura.
I'm going with future Josh.

Osiris could've grown hair and it could have been blonde. But strrox4 said he's a character from myth.

I, too, think it's Josh though it has to be. Will someone show me where Mr.Scott said that he was a character from mythology?

Michael said that Death is a prominent character in every myth around the world. I don't think he specifically says that Marethyu is taken from myth rather, that 'Marethyu' is title used by the character.

This the closest quote I could find:

Marethyu, remember is not a name.  The character uses it as a title.  So rather than race through the forum looking for names, you should be considering the meaning of the word (and I was delighted when someone - Sparticle I think - discovered its Sanskrit origins.)

Marethyu has multiple meanings. 

Oh, and do remember than eyes colors can change in the books.  We've seen it happen before, so that is not necessarily a give away.

Go back and see where the hook-handed man has appeared or been mentioned in the texts of the previous books.

And finally, I am drawing from very ancient mythological sources, so you're not going to find the answer on wikipedia.

Michael

user posted image
Ravenclaw | Ekaterina Agent | Mage
"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" ~ A. E.
Aura: RED
Scent: warm sea breeze

Quote    Reply   

#1043 [url]

Oct 17 11 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Moviebuff @ October 17, 2011 03:22 pm)
QUOTE (Shadow Knight @ October 16, 2011 09:56 pm)
QUOTE (flamel's fav fan @ October 16, 2011 06:33 pm)
Apollo maybe but not Osiris,
our Osiris is bald.
he doesn't have blonde hair,
but it could be Josh... long blonde hair, blue eyes, sour aura, possible golden aura.
I'm going with future Josh.

Osiris could've grown hair and it could have been blonde. But strrox4 said he's a character from myth.

I, too, think it's Josh though it has to be. Will someone show me where Mr.Scott said that he was a character from mythology?

Michael said that Death is a prominent character in every myth around the world. I don't think he specifically says that Marethyu is taken from myth rather, that 'Marethyu' is title used by the character.

This the closest quote I could find:

Marethyu, remember is not a name.  The character uses it as a title.  So rather than race through the forum looking for names, you should be considering the meaning of the word (and I was delighted when someone - Sparticle I think - discovered its Sanskrit origins.)

Marethyu has multiple meanings. 

Oh, and do remember than eyes colors can change in the books.  We've seen it happen before, so that is not necessarily a give away.

Go back and see where the hook-handed man has appeared or been mentioned in the texts of the previous books.

And finally, I am drawing from very ancient mythological sources, so you're not going to find the answer on wikipedia.

Michael

Thank you Moviebuff. Now I know that it's not rather a character from myth, and that it can be any character in the book. So I'm sticking to Josh.

user posted image
Aura Color:Blue
Aura Scent:Peaches
Element:Air,Fire,Water,&Earth
The bravest and most courageous people are those who find happiness in the darkest of times.

Quote    Reply   

#1044 [url]

Oct 18 11 3:40 AM

I find this very interesting while researching and I hope this would lead to understanding more of Marethyu, as this character is very enigmatic.

Marethyu is a very influential character.He taught Soul the spell of shield of faith, he assisted Sherman in surviving most of his battles, and he taught Signa and Ethio many ancient, foreign, and even dead languages.He also is older than anybody can remember, yet is still with the will and power of a 19 year old. Immortality, probably. It is unknown what race Marethyu belongs to. However, his name means Death, and the Ancients knew him as Moros and he was included in their list of kings. He needed to find a group of heroes that would be able to assist him in going back in time and causing all problems to cease, or the entire dimension would cease to exist.These 5 led by Marethyu, along with many others, travel around the land restoring justice, and abolishing evil.

Note: Please disregard the other names as they are not vital, concentrate instead on the description of Marethyu here.

Searching for Moros, i found it:
In Greek mythology, Moros (Greek: Μόρος, English: doom, fate) is the personification of impending doom, who drives mortals to their deadly fate. He is one of the offspring of Nyx (Night), who had conceived him without male intervention, and brother of the Moirae (Fates).

I still need more researching, about how he got the hook.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Arantir

Spellcaster

#1045 [url]

Oct 18 11 2:26 PM

QUOTE (Janus the Two-Faced God @ October 17, 2011 03:16 am)
You seemed to be implying that Marethyu is more powerful than Chronos, the Master of Time..

I am implying this.

user posted image

Aura Color: Aquamarine Aura Scent: Ocean Spray
Mastered Magic: Fire, Air, Water, Earth, Ice, Aether, Lost Arts
Weapons: Zanmato, Elemental Blade of Light, Zwill Crossblade, Double Dagger of Wind
Mastered Arts: Necromancy, Summoning

Quote    Reply   

#1046 [url]

Oct 19 11 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Arantir @ October 18, 2011 02:26 pm)

I am implying this.

That would make him like he was the Original Master of Time?

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Arantir

Spellcaster

#1047 [url]

Oct 19 11 1:56 AM

QUOTE (Janus the Two-Faced God @ October 18, 2011 06:42 pm)
QUOTE (Arantir @ October 18, 2011 02:26 pm)

I am implying this.

That would make him like he was the Original Master of Time?

No. What I am saying is that he is present in Archon, Ancient, and Earthlord lore. He probably learned a few tricks from each of them.

user posted image

Weapons: Zanmato, Elemental Blade of Light, Zwill Crossblade, Double Dagger of Wind

Quote    Reply   

#1048 [url]

Oct 19 11 2:55 AM

Oh, how is it possible that he was there, couldn't it be that he was also an Archon? Or that he was an Ancient or possibly the only remaining Earthlord?

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1049 [url]

Oct 19 11 3:13 AM

I found some more names for the personification of death throughout some of the cultures.

In Egypt one of the oldest names for him was Seker. He was very similiar to osiris.

In Tibet there was one called Mahakala( I think I've mentioned him once before but I found some new information) he is formless but can shapeshift into any form at will. He is known as "The one who cries" He cries not out of sadness but out of joy for releasing imprisoned souls. The other name that ties to him is Rudra, which is an ancient name for Shiva, Rudra translates to "The crier" known for making everyone cry. He said "People are fools to cry for their dead, they should cry for themselves"

I thought this was interesting since at the end of the Warlock Marethyu is seen crying and so is "tough as nails" Scathach.

Quote    Reply   

#1050 [url]

Oct 19 11 3:46 AM

QUOTE (Mandragora @ October 19, 2011 03:13 am)
I found some more names for the personification of death throughout some of the cultures.

In Egypt one of the oldest names for him was Seker. He was very similiar to osiris.

In Tibet there was one called Mahakala( I think I've mentioned him once before but I found some new information) he is formless but can shapeshift into any form at will. He is known as "The one who cries" He cries not out of sadness but out of joy for releasing imprisoned souls. The other name that ties to him is Rudra, which is an ancient name for Shiva, Rudra translates to "The crier" known for making everyone cry. He said "People are fools to cry for their dead, they should cry for themselves"

I thought this was interesting since at the end of the Warlock Marethyu is seen crying and so is "tough as nails" Scathach.

That is interesting Mandragora. I wonder why Marethyu cried in the Warlock..

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#1051 [url]

Oct 19 11 6:02 PM

QUOTE (Janus the Two-Faced God @ October 19, 2011 02:55 am)
Oh, how is it possible that he was there, couldn't it be that he was also an Archon? Or that he was an Ancient or possibly the only remaining Earthlord?

Michael has confirmed that Marethyu is not Earthlord. Although he has been present in all civilization.

user posted image
Ravenclaw | Ekaterina Agent | Mage
"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" ~ A. E.
Aura: RED
Scent: warm sea breeze

Quote    Reply   

Arantir

Spellcaster

#1052 [url]

Oct 19 11 9:31 PM

QUOTE (Moviebuff @ October 19, 2011 12:02 pm)
QUOTE (Janus the Two-Faced God @ October 19, 2011 02:55 am)

Michael has confirmed that Marethyu is not Earthlord. Although he has been present in all civilization.

II'd bet he is the last remnant of a pre-Earthlord civilization.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1053 [url]

Oct 20 11 12:08 AM

If Marethyu is not an Earthlord, but is present in all civilization and its downfall, then maybe he is a personification of Time?

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Arantir

Spellcaster

#1054 [url]

Oct 20 11 1:58 AM

QUOTE (Janus the Two-Faced God @ October 19, 2011 06:08 pm)
If Marethyu is not an Earthlord, but is present in all civilization and its downfall, then maybe he is a personification of Time?

That would work, but there is a hitch: if he was, Chronos would control him.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1055 [url]

Oct 20 11 2:15 AM

QUOTE (Arantir @ October 20, 2011 01:58 am)

I mean, Marethyu could be Time himself in a physical body.. (Oh this is far-fetched).

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1056 [url]

Oct 20 11 3:40 AM

QUOTE (Janus the Two-Faced God @ October 19, 2011 09:15 pm)
QUOTE (Arantir @ October 20, 2011 01:58 am)

I mean, Marethyu could be Time himself in a physical body.. (Oh this is far-fetched).

Well, maybe not Time, but Fate, he's been witnessed by every civilization that have existed, he uses many titles, all of them meaning Death, and the only thing we have assured is Death itself.

user posted image
Don't you know who I am? I'm the one who have cheated death!

Aura Color:Amarant
Aura Scent:Cinnamon

Quote    Reply   

#1057 [url]

Oct 20 11 3:52 AM

I don't know about Fate, could be. What if he really is Death and that he was securing that everything falls into place as it should happen..

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Arantir

Spellcaster

#1058 [url]

Oct 20 11 4:05 AM

Why would Death cry about killing things, though? I mean, wouldn't he want more souls?

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1059 [url]

Oct 20 11 5:00 AM

I have no answer for that, but isn't it ironic that if really is Death he'd have to cry for the souls he reap? Maybe he was crying for himself that he have to do that, reaping souls I mean..

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#1060 [url]

Oct 20 11 7:47 AM

QUOTE (AlchemistMaster @ October 20, 2011 11:40 am)
Well, maybe not Time, but Fate, he's been witnessed by every civilization that have existed, he uses many titles, all of them meaning Death, and the only thing we have assured is Death itself.

QUOTE (The Warlock)
The Earthlords called him Moros and the Ancients knew him as Mot, while the Archons called him Oberour Ar Maro. This is how we came by our own name for him: Marethyu.

Moros is a Greek mythological entity. Moros was the spirit of doom. In some versions of Greek myth, it is said that Moros is a brother of the Fates.
If we're going to follow this myth, Marethyu cannot be Fate. Instead, we can assume that Marethyu is working with the Fates in order to ensure that everyone will meet their fates; and that is death. Everyone dies; even Elders, Archons, Ancients, and Earthlords.
Perhaps this is why Marethyu is called the destroyer, because what he does is to lead everyone to their doom.

The Oberour Ar Maro (the henchman of death) looks very much like the Grim Reaper from the popular stories. He looks like a skeleton wearing a hood or a hat to conceal his face and holding a scythe. He collects the souls of the dead.

It is also worth noting from the quote above that the title "Marethyu" was derived from Oberour Ar Maro. This implies that the Archons knew him first before the Elders came to know him.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help