Remove this ad

#21 [url]

May 30 10 4:06 PM

I guess I can wait until June 1st. Oh well!
@(•L•)@

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Spellcaster

#22 [url]

May 30 10 4:41 PM

QUOTE (Rurounizakku @ May 29, 2010 12:27 am)
Finished it yesterday afternoon, man, sometimes I wish I didn't read so fast, now I want to read the Warlock.  Though this book went quicker than the other three, I really can't wait to start to talking about this book.  I have a new favorite character now.

Omigosh! I know exactly what you mean, I feel the same way. I read really fast, and read in less than (I think) two j=hours, but it felt like thirty minutes. I had to keep taking breaks, because last time I read a book not even this good I was sick for a few days from reading to fast. (Does that even make sense?) It was amazing, and I feel like I can see so many ways for this to go. Everything I was dreaming of and hoping for happened! Im really super hyperexcited right now! flamelssecret/hyper_.gif

Please do not post spoilers of any kind.

user posted image
Aura Color: Wolf
Aura scent: Jasmine
Type of Magic: Psychic abilities
Favored Weapon: Italian Longsword

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

May 30 10 6:16 PM

Finished it at approximately 1:34 am. Began at 11 pm. I planned this and I figured it would take me twoish hours. Close enough. I still like The Magician the best, but I loved this one too. To think that there are only two books left...egad.

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

Sorcerer

#24 [url]

May 30 10 8:09 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ May 30, 2010 09:50 am)
QUOTE (outofsighted)
but maybe they avoid this because they think there will be spoilers---

Yes, outofsighted, that is exactly why we do it, we also did it last year with lots of member support for the idea. There is always a rush for someone to be the first to finish and post their thoughts and ideas, by locking the threads down so that nobody can post, it gives everyone that can get the book a chance to read at their own pace and join in at the same time, it's the fairest way we know of, for everyone.

~~just a suggestion...~~
you could have a thread that has something like "I've finished!-spoiler version" and have members chat about the book. and this thread could be the spoiler free...idk just an idea

user posted image
Aura:Emerald
Scent:Raspberry
I have been Awakened... I am a master of Fire... Water... Earth and Air... and an apprentice to a master of Time... I posess the gift of Foresight...

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

May 30 10 8:34 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ May 30, 2010 06:50 am)
QUOTE (Alchemist92 @ May 30, 2010 06:40 am)
Aww come on Zeph come on and unlock the threads flamelssecret/pray.gif most of the people who voted finished it

There were a lot of you that voted and have finished, but I also have Pm's from several members asking me not to open the thread yet, so sorry guys, out of respect for them, it'll have to stay as June 1st to give them a chance to finish reading, and it is only 2 days, you've done really well so far guys, thank you for your patience! At least you can now see which other members have also finished and you can chat with them while you wait!

QUOTE (outofsighted)

Yes, outofsighted, that is exactly why we do it, we also did it last year with lots of member support for the idea. There is always a rush for someone to be the first to finish and post their thoughts and ideas, by locking the threads down so that nobody can post, it gives everyone that can get the book a chance to read at their own pace and join in at the same time, it's the fairest way we know of, for everyone.

lol I think the one whod finish and post first would be fuzzbin with his super speed reading

user posted image
Aura: Emerald
Scent: Sage

Quote    Reply   

Fuzzbinn

Sorcerer

#26 [url]

May 30 10 9:41 PM

Indeed I would.

And I agree with the lockdown - makes perfect sense. As someone who's usually one of the first people done whenever books come it, it's kinda annoying to have to wait to talk about it with anyone.... but it's worse to take away from someone the opportunity to read it themselves first, to get to experience the surprises and story without getting it ruined.

Also, taking a few days to look back, and think a bit about everything, if you do finish early isn't a bad idea either. ...

So, see you all in 2 days. And kudos to the Forum Staff and Admins for making the right choice, IMHO.

Aura Color: Sunset Orange..........Scent: Pomegranate
Fearus the Fuzzbinnus! Cave Fuzzum!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."...."It's time to toss the dice."
"I don't want a happy ending. I want more story" - Francis Hardinge, Fly By Night
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

May 30 10 9:46 PM

QUOTE (outofsighted @ May 30, 2010 04:09 pm)
QUOTE (outofsighted)

~~just a suggestion...~~
you could have a thread that has something like "I've finished!-spoiler version" and have members chat about the book. and this thread could be the spoiler free...idk just an idea

If I remember correctly last year, that's exactly what will happen when all the threads are re-opened. All Necromancer talk will only be in that thread.

user posted image
The Enchantress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
May 22, 2012 | Official Fan Site | Official Author's Site

Aura: Purple.........Scent: Cinnamon.........Elemental Magic: Earth and Water.........Specialty: Magician and Warlock

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#28 [url]

May 30 10 9:52 PM

QUOTE (phvolt220 @ May 30, 2010 04:46 pm)

Yes, outofsighted, that is exactly why we do it, we also did it last year with lots of member support for the idea.  There  is always a rush for someone to be the first to finish and post their thoughts and ideas, by locking the threads down so that nobody can post, it gives everyone that can get the book a chance to read at their own pace and join in at the same time, it's the fairest way we know of, for everyone.

~~just a suggestion...~~

If I remember correctly last year, that's exactly what will happen when all the threads are re-opened. All Necromancer talk will only be in that thread.

yes that is correct, Zephfire was asking if people would like that thread opened a few days early but the general consensus is no. So when the forums reopen on June 1st, there will be a special thread for necromancer talk and the normal threads will remain spoiler free until the uk has had a chance to read after their release.

Quote    Reply   

Sorcerer

#30 [url]

May 31 10 9:33 PM

QUOTE (Spacecadet @ May 30, 2010 05:52 pm)
QUOTE (phvolt220 @ May 30, 2010 04:46 pm)

Yes, outofsighted, that is exactly why we do it, we also did it last year with lots of member support for the idea.  There  is always a rush for someone to be the first to finish and post their thoughts and ideas, by locking the threads down so that nobody can post, it gives everyone that can get the book a chance to read at their own pace and join in at the same time, it's the fairest way we know of, for everyone.

~~just a suggestion...~~

yes that is correct, Zephfire was asking if people would like that thread opened a few days early but the general consensus is no. So when the forums reopen on June 1st, there will be a special thread for necromancer talk and the normal threads will remain spoiler free until the uk has had a chance to read after their release.

i was not apart of the forum last year...

user posted image
Aura:Emerald
Scent:Raspberry
I have been Awakened... I am a master of Fire... Water... Earth and Air... and an apprentice to a master of Time... I posess the gift of Foresight...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#31 [url]

Jun 1 10 2:07 AM

QUOTE (outofsighted @ May 31, 2010 10:33 pm)

i was not apart of the forum last year...

That's fine, new members are just as welcome as established members! There's so many new members it's just a way of letting everyone know how it works when we've a new release to talk about on the forum.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jun 6 10 6:26 PM

I finished it a couple days ago! It was amazing!

user posted image
"I have been many things in my time: a physician and a cook, a bookseller and a soldier, a teacher of languages and chemistry, both the officer of law and a thief." -From the Day Booke of Nicholas Flamel, Writ Thursday, 31 May
Aura Color: Gray
Scent: Pepper
Magic Specialty: Fire

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jun 22 10 1:02 AM

I finished it a couple days ago and loved it!! It was fantastic flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif!

"הניצחון[ הגדול ביותר שלנו הוא לא לא ליפול, אבל עולה כל פעם שאנחנו נופלים.הניצחון הגדול ביותר שלנו הוא לא לא ליפול, אבל עולה כל פעם שאנחנו נופלים."

"Our greatest triumph is not never falling but rising up every time we fall."
Aura Color: Bronze flecked Platinuim
Aura Sent: Grapefruit

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jul 17 10 11:07 PM

I just finished it and was furious to be left hanging for.......who knows how long?! This frustration eats away at the inherent relationship between reader and writer; now there is a third party - the business of selling books. When will I be able to continue this saga? Will I likely have to reread previous books just to remember who's who and where the action "paused"? If that's the case, I will have moved on to other books and other stories and you will have lost me as a reader. You may or may not really care, but it saddens me that this is happening more and more frequently [Harry Potter, Ranger's Apprentice series (though, in general each book stands alone), Charlie Bone, Eragon (last(?) book STILL not out!), etc.]. It makes me feel like a chump who is just out there to sell books to.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#36 [url]

Jul 17 10 11:41 PM

QUOTE (lynclund @ July 18, 2010 12:07 am)
I just finished it and was furious to be left hanging for.......who knows how long?! This frustration eats away at the inherent relationship between reader and writer; now there is a third party - the business of selling books. When will I be able to continue this saga? Will I likely have to reread previous books just to remember who's who and where the action "paused"? If that's the case, I will have moved on to other books and other stories and you will have lost me as a reader. You may or may not really care, but it saddens me that this is happening more and more frequently [Harry Potter, Ranger's Apprentice series (though, in general each book stands alone), Charlie Bone, Eragon (last(?) book STILL not out!), etc.]. It makes me feel like a chump who is just out there to sell books to.

You will only have to wait until next May/June if you are in the USA, all the books have been released on a yearly basis and there are no plans to change that. I don't find that the wait has a detrimental affect on my appreciation of the series at all, I appreciate well written books and if that means I have a year to wait between instalments then that's fine with me, it'll be worth the wait!
I'm sure I speak for plenty of our members when I say that we don't mind the wait, we have each other's theories and ideas to discuss and Michael pops in most days to answer questions, and occasionally treats us to snippets of the forthcoming book, or a teaser idea of a character to come etc.

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#37 [url]

Jul 18 10 12:41 AM

I agree, I think half the fun is knowing you have to wait, it makes the series even more exciting. Plus it gives you time to really digest and discuss the books thus far and make predictions before the next book comes out, and then you can see how right (or wrong) you were. I'm not sure the series would be as much fun if there wasn't time to theorize and debate and research. Would you prefer that the entire series be written before even a word of it is released?... I'm not sure it's as good that way. Yes it is nice to jump from one book to the next, which you can do if you chose to wait for an entire series to release, but then it's basically over the minute you start. You don't get a deeper understanding and time to think. Besides books take time to write and edit ... it's unlikely that we could even get the books any faster than we are already. Books aren't written by magic in the blink of an eye! Behind every good book is an author who brings the story to life, and a team of editors who help refine it. Without them the story wouldn't be the exciting book it is today, and wouldn't leave you wanting more.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 18 10 6:06 AM

Its the oldest question in the continuing story genre. It goes back as far as, Little Orphan Annie, the Inner Sanctum Mysteries and The Shadow on CBS radio up through the Lone Ranger and weekly series shorts before movies in the 50's and 60's. Only to be carried on by daytime soaps in the 70's and then to Nighttime soaps like Dynasty and Dallas in the 80's and on through shows like The X files and Twin Peaks in the 90's. To bring us on through till today with shows like 24 or the current flavor of the decade and perhaps the best of them all in Lost.

All these shows in different media vehicles took the single premise that goes back as long as novels have been written that if you have a central cast of heroes and villains and wrap them around a story that you continue on all while placing little cliff hangers here and there, your audience will come back day after day or week after week or month after month or even in this case year after year to find out what happened after little sally pushed Jim out of the window or who did kill Laura Palmer or are they dead or alive and where is this Island anyway to the Grandaddy of them all.....Who Shot JR?

Novels have been doing this forever and the bottom line is it works. Sure with the current state of media today we could rush out to our local wallmart or to the video store and plunk down $80.00 to get the entire season or cruise over to I-tunes and throw our money at the all powerful Mr Jobs to get the coveted episodes or even surf to our friends at Sharman Networks and go to the Magical Genie land of Kazaa or even bittorrent ourselves to death for 4 or 5 days straight at Limewire to p2p the missing volumes. All this mind you so that we can sit in a dark room somewhere for 15 or 16 hours straight and watch Jack and company crash, meet some crazy people, fight, split up, travel back in time, go home, twice, only to eventually retire to that great big 815 in the sky.
I guess in someways it is incredibly satisfying to be able to find out what happens right away. But for me, I feel like a better person for having endured for 6 seasons always wondering what was coming next. It feels almost like an adult version of the childhood rarity of perfect attendance that I saw every episode of Lost along with 11 million other people each and every week. In the end part of the reason I love reading so much is because invariably I am going to be left with a what's next. The books have not only given me something to look forward to every year but it has given me friends that I know share my Zeal for the same feeling. If nothing else the books have taken something that began to blossom within me during JK's HP run and literally multiplied it times like a 1000.

I love the anticipation and the waiting, but then again I also have gotten hooked on Happy Town, maybe its just me....

user posted image

Aura Color: Midnight Blue......Aura Scent: Fresh Honey
You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jul 19 10 7:41 PM

Not sure I can say it any better than our friend Phin above...but I do feel your frustration with "the waiting" game. I think everyone probably does on some level. You start a great book, with interesting characters, a intriguing plot line, lots of twists and turns...and then you have to wait for the next installment. But in my mind, it is like waiting for Christmas, or your birthday, or that trip to Disney World you have been planning for a year....part of the fun, what adds to the excitement, is the anticipation. All that time to think about what will happen to your favorite character, how will the "bad guys" be thwarted, what will our heroes learn this time around? And going back to re-read the books that came before again, gives the reader the opportunity to dig deeper into the story, find more of those hidden clues that authors leave behind as treasures.

So while waiting is hard...I would not pass up the build up that comes from waiting for something wonderful. And of course, being able to come here and talk with so many different people, read their ideas...makes me eager to go back and read not only Mr Scott's books again, but so many other books that have been suggested. And to see which ideas were right on, which ones were close, and which ones were way off the mark.

user posted image

Aura: Dark Orchid
Aura Scent: Wild Lilac

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jul 20 10 2:35 AM

QUOTE (phineasnigellus @ July 18, 2010 06:06 am)
I love the anticipation and the waiting, but then again I also have gotten hooked on Happy Town, maybe its just me....

@Phin, I've gotten hooked on Happy Town too!

I too love anticipation but only when I've been given enough to "stew" on. The only time I found waiting to be excruciating was when Stephen King released The Green Mile in 6 parts. The books were so thin on content that I chomped at the bit for more. Mr. Scott, however, is excellent at giving us just enough information to make that year go pretty quick and ... of course ... we have the forum to read and theorize, etc. That helps a lot flamelssecret/clap3.gif

user posted image

Aura Color: Émeraude
Aura Scent: Garlic and Onions sautéing in Butter
Latin Motto: Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help