Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#21 [url]

Sep 20 10 4:32 PM

The identity of The Necromancer...

Spoiler alert. If you do not want to know that do not read any further. (But I know you will anyway. So scroll on down....)

I was really surprised that there was any discussion about the identity of The Necromancer.

Doctor John Dee says to Josh:

“I am going to make you a Necromancer Josh,” Dee smiled. “Normally, it would take decades to train you, but there is someone who can grant you that gift instantaneously."

Josh acknowledges later:

"They obviously didn’t want him to become a Necromancer and he was beginning to suspect that it was because they were afraid of what he might discover, about them, about the Elders."

So clearly, Dee "makes" Josh a Necromancer.

However, I am using a very traditional meaning of the word (not necessarily to do with magic), which means someone who can raise the dead ... and talk to them! So, Dee places Josh in a position where he "calls" to The Mother of All the Gods."

There were some really great posts on the forum about Necromancy - and the real meaning of the word - and a lot of people worked out that it was Josh. I wonder how his encounter with her has changed him; remember what his brief encounter with Mars Ultor did?

However, I think that the much more interesting questions is: who is The Warlock!

Michael

Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#22 [url]

Sep 21 10 5:35 PM

The first details of The Warlock have been announced on Random House's site, now before you all ask why the page count puts this book shorter than some of the rest of the series let me just tell you that the page count is inaccurate! Please disregard the page count for the time being, I've yet to finish writing it! I estimate it will be of a similar size to The Magician once it goes to print.

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#23 [url]

Sep 22 10 2:33 PM

I promised a little while ago that I would post the alternate covers for The Necromancer.

Often when an artist prepares a cover treatment, several versions are created and then the Art Department, the sales team and sometimes the author (and even important booksellers) get to voice their opinion. I've been very lucky with this series, because I've been able to suggest images I would like to see on the cover, so here are my original notes to Michael Wager:

The overall color theme for this book should be black and silver.

One of the big themes for the next book is time and we have a new character, Quetzalcoatl from Aztec myth (Kukulkan from the Maya myth. He is called the Feathered Serpent.)

So how about a styalized Maya Calendar for the central image? (Could symbolize time racing by, and hint at the identity of the new character - who is Billy's Elder Master by the way.)

Corner symbol suggestions:

Green Man face Palamedes and Sir Gwain will appear

Feathered Serpent

Fancy Celtic spiral (to represent Aoife) or maybe a Japanese symbol for Death

Bottom centre (where the chalice was in the last cover), a Crystal skull (representing Necromancy)

This is Josh's book, so we could also use the symbol for gold or the sun - a circle with a dot in the centre.

As time went by we refined the types of images and symbols I'd like to see and the artist then produced the attached images sm01, 02 and 03. What is really unusual here is that the first artwork is very close to the final artwork, which is a real testament to Michael Wager's skill.

I liked sm01 but I suggested that we lose the feathered serpent image on the bottom left because I had changed the physical description of Kukulkan in the book and replace it with the whip.

That image was worked up into the final fabulous picture:01-06.

There are other subtle differences, which I'm sure you will all spot!

With best wishes,
Michael.

user posted image SM-01

user posted image SM-02

user posted image SM-03

user posted image 01-16

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#24 [url]

Sep 27 10 4:17 PM

Has everyone wished Jules a Happy Birthday today, September 27th.

I think its is safe to say that this forum would not exist without Zephfire who, on the 29th September 2008, sent an email asking for permission to set up a forum devoted to the Flamel series.

I replied on the 30th.

The forum officially opened on October 2nd, and today we are just shy of 2200 members.

So I think we all owe Zephfire (and all the mods who support her) our huge thanks. I certainly do.

So happy birthday Zephfire!

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#26 [url]

Oct 3 10 12:56 AM

I just wanted to let you all know that I have started working on the Perenelle/Machiavelli encounter story. When I come to a stopping place in The Warlock, I do a little work on the story (which does not have a title yet.)

However, I've also started to put together material for a Scathach story, called The Shadow's Debt.

Apparently Scathach's diary was found in the ruins of her dojo in San Francisco and has just been translated!

I'm hoping to have this one finished for the forum for Christmas.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#27 [url]

Oct 5 10 6:48 PM

I've started to get very specific questions posted to my section. The older members here (not necessarily older in years, but forum-older) will know that I sometimes choose not to answer for various reasons. Usually because to do so would be to ruin something in the later books.

So, before you post a direction question about the books, ask yourself: is this likely to be answered in a later book. If the answer is yes, then I'll probably not reply.

However, once the series is finished, I will answer all outstanding questions.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#28 [url]

Oct 5 10 10:54 PM

You all know I'm on the forum just about every day, and while I may not answer every question, I do read them.

I've noticed that some people are posting the same questions again and again and again. If I do not answer you the first them, there is probably a very good reason ... but you will also notice that sometimes, I return to questions that were posted a few weeks earlier, and give an answer.

However, many of the answers you are looking for may have already been posted on the forum by me, the mods or other members, so please do read back over the threads, check the "Frequently asked questions" thread or use the search function to look for key words.

And remember, in the time it has taken me to type this, I could have written another paragraph of The Warlock or Scathach's Debt or The Volcano (which is the working title of Perry and Mac on the mountain.)

So what do you want: answers or books and stories?

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#30 [url]

Oct 27 10 4:36 PM

A quick note about some of the other Flamel sites popping up all across the net. The ONLY site which I endorse is this one, Flamel's Secret and The Immortal Portal (and of course my own site at dillonscott.com.)

The only sites I post to regularly are this one, my twitter account (http://twitter.com/flamelauthor) and my facebook page (http://en-gb.facebook.com/flamelauthor).

There is a Facebook fan page, where I sometimes comment, but it is run by the publishers.

Michael

Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#31 [url]

Nov 10 10 8:04 PM

Questions, questions, questions.

I have posted before that I will not (or should that be can not) answer direct questions about the next two books.

I can promise you that by the end of The Enchantress, all of your questions will have been answered, and if they have not, I'll answer them.

So please do not ask me very specific questions because I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you and not answer.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#33 [url]

Nov 26 10 12:00 AM

I would like to wish all the members of the forum (not just our American friends) a Happy Thanksgiving. All of us have something to be thankful for, but we occasionally forget that. It is worth pausing every now and again to remember some of those good things and be grateful.

As a Thanksgiving thank-you, here is the cover of The Warlock. The background looks a little odd and it's not as detailed as the previous books, because the plan is for this to be printed on gold foil.

(Oh, and don't ask me any questions about it, because you know I cannot answer!)

With best wishes,

Michael

user posted image

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#35 [url]

Dec 24 10 8:12 PM

It is Christmas Eve. One of the very odd aspects of being a writer (and, trust me, there are many...) is that one has a very different appreciation of time. You are writing a book that may not appear for another year; huge chunks of time vanish when you're in the middle of a book and then you start getting notices for books which have just appeared, but which you delivered a year before that (and have almost forgotten about.)

If you are a full time writer, the clock more of less becomes meaningless. You never actually "start" work and you never really "finish." You also never have days off. And believe me, I am not complaining; I would not have it any other way.

But there is one day a year when my computers are actually turned off - I don't even check email - and that is Christmas Day.

Not matter what your faith or religion, there should be at least one day when you stop and take stock of the year, of all that you've done and achieved (thinking about what you've failed to achieve is a waste of time and energy, so don't do it.)

A lot of people do this around New Years Eve, but surely this time of year, the Winter Solstice, when the year turns, is a much better time.

So, have a wonderful and happy Christmas. Enjoy it. Pause, reflect and be grateful.

And finally ... I know I promised you a short story - it is not done yet (I've been tweaking Warlock), but you will have it soon.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#36 [url]

Jan 1 11 3:03 AM

The year has turned here in Ireland and it is 2011 already. I want to take this opportunity to thank ALL of you - moderators and members, posters and readers - for being part of this community.

When I wrote down the original note for this series (Doctor John Dee as an immortal - all myths are real, legendary creatures are still alive) more than a decade ago, I never realized it would have such a wide-ranging impact. I was looking at those notes earlier this evening. It is astonishing to realize how much still remains intact. There have been some small changes: Dee went from hero to villain; Machiavelli went from villain to ... well, still a villain, but a villain with a conscience. Joshua became Josh, and Sophie remained Sophie. Lemuria became Danu Talis and the Otherworlds became the Shadowrealms. But the original story remains and the ending (including the very last sentence), which I first wrote down in May 1997 is untouched.

And now, suddenly, the end is in sight. I'm doing final tweaks on The Warlock at the moment. It has been the toughest of all the books to write, and yet, paradoxically, it looks like it will be the slimmest of the series, with all the action packed into one day. Much of The Enchantress is also done (and it will be the biggest of the six!)

The series has gone all over the world, and the movie inches forward. There is even talk now of a TV series, but I'll believe it when I see it.

But none of this would have been possible without all your continued support. The forum and its member have played a major part in the success of this series and, for that, I do thank you.

I also want to pay a special word of thank to Zephfire, Hitmanjls and the mods who ensure that the forum remains such a positive and safe environment for all its members. It allows me to recommend it with absolutely no hesitation. I really do appreciate all the work that goes on behind the scenes.

I know I've not delivered my Christmas short story (but I thought you'd prefer if I finished The Warlock first.) You will have it soon. In fact, you may even have two - Scathach's debt is almost done as well.

So, to one and all: have a wonderful and happy new year.

With best wishes,
Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#37 [url]

Jan 28 11 3:54 PM

Time for an update. The Warlock is done and with the publishers. The few people who have read it seem very excited with it, and I can promise you a lot of surprises and revelations.

This was the most difficult book to write. Balancing the multiple storylines and keeping all the characters in motion meant making some changes to the structure of the last two books. Events which I had planned to include in book 5 have been pushed to book 6, and similarly, events from book 6 have been pulled back into 5.

You know you cannot ask me any questions about it, because I will not answer, but I can reveal that everything in The Warlock takes place over one single day.

I've gone straight into book 6, The Enchantress, because I need to continue the momentum. Its odd now, because suddenly I can see the end in sight. I had no idea when I started this series all those years ago, what an amazing impact it would make.

However, I've not forgotten I owe you all a Christmas short story! So I'll get back to that very shortly.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#38 [url]

Feb 11 11 12:17 PM

A little Warlock update for you.

I have just seen the final page proofs. This is like an almost finished book, laid out the way the final book will look. I know there was some discussion earlier about the size of this book (and indeed, on Amazon, the page number is given as 368), but the final book has come in at 380 pages of story and an additional 20 pages of intro and a tiny sneak peek at The Enchantress. So The Warlock will be 400 pages in total.

We're going to break with the tradition of including the first chapter of next book. Because of the way this book is structured, and especially the ending, we could not give the first chapter of The Enchantress because it would reveal too much.

We're now - as of today - 101 days from publication!

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#39 [url]

Feb 19 11 10:45 PM

We know that there are Flamel readers all across the globe. The books have now sold into 38 countries. But where exactly are you?

Well now is your chance to tell us. On my website, there is now an interactive map, where you can drop a colored pin and tell us where you are and what you're reading.

http://www.dillonscott.com/the-secrets-of-...icholas-flamel/

Now, remember, when you're putting down the pins, do NOT tell us your exact street and house address, and do NOT give your full name. Always be conscious that the web is a very public place.

Let's see how many pins we can get.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#40 [url]

Feb 22 11 1:25 PM

So I am now officially done with The Warlock. I spent the weekend going through the final master page proofs, which is one step on from the previous proofs and includes all the ultimate tweaks. The next time I see the book will either be as a proof copy or the final book.

Because we so close to the end now, there are some major revelations in this book, so I am going to ask you now (three months before publication) to be respectful of the people who will not get to read it instantly. A lot of your questions will be answered in this book.

The confirmed publication date is the 24th May for the United States, Canada and Australia. Britain, Ireland, Malta and India will follow a month later on the 7th July.

The USA editions will be in hardback in the traditional style covers. I'll post the newest tweaked version soon.

The UK editions will be published in large format paperback and have the new jacket style - I'll post it as soon as I have a final version.

And before people start jumping up and down, I have no control over publication dates or whether its hardback or paperback. That is decided upon by the publishers.

Michael

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help