Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 26 09 7:37 PM

Tags : :

Hmmm, I must ask Zephfire to set up a place for me to post notices from me: I'm sure this is not the right place to do it.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish all our Thanksgiving followers, a happy Thanksgiving. I'm in the US for Thanksgiving and it is one of the holidays I really do enjoy - just family, friends and food (and none of that present-giving nonsense!)

Have a great day everyone.

Michael

**By your request, the deed is done **
Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#1 [url]

Dec 23 09 2:13 AM

It gives me great pleasure to welcome our 1000th member to the forum today: true alchemyst.

The forum has grown quickly over the past 14 months and it is down to the tireless efforts of the admins and mods and, of course, the members, for posting, reading, arguing and listening.

I am grateful to all of you.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#2 [url]

Dec 31 09 7:38 PM

So the year ends (or if you follow older customs, it ended last week and we're already into the new year, and in some cultures, it has not yet arrived.) The calendar has always been fluid, with days added and subtracted for very little reason.

But however and whenever you celebrate it: have a very happy new year.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#3 [url]

Jan 13 10 1:42 PM

The more eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that I've not been as active of late on the forum, though I do log in every day to keep on top of the postings. The reason is simple: it was the big push to get The Necromancer done and dusted.

The almost final manuscript is now with Delacourt (I will probably do one more light pass over it), but the story is now fixed. This was, let me tell you, the toughest of the lot to write, for reasons which will become clear when you read it.

The USA cover is also now finalized and the front will not differ from what's online here and at my site. The back will change and the text is being tweaked.

The Necromancer will be the last book published with this jacket treatment in the UK. The paperbacks of the first three books in the series will be relaunched with new cover treatments in August of this year, and then the paperback of Necromancer will follow in the new jacket style next year. I have seen some jacket treatments, but nothing has been finalized.

The Warlock is now underway.

And, as always, thank you all for your continued support!

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#4 [url]

Jan 26 10 9:01 PM

The final, final version of The Necromancer was delivered today. This includes all the final tweaks and editorial changes. For people who count such things, it is 84,000 words (The Alchemyst was 87,000, The Magician was 106,000 and The Sorceress was 111,500 words). I would imagine there will be a similar progression with the three books of the second trilogy.

I'm now hard at work on The Warlock - indeed, the new book will have the first chapter of The Warlock included at the back. However, whatever you do, DO NOT, jump to the end and read it, because it will spoil a big surprise.

Final cover of The Necromancer is now sorted. The images remain, but the text has changed slightly, and I have just delivered my cover designs for book 5.

Publication date remains the 25th May.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#5 [url]

Mar 18 10 2:43 AM

It is St Patrick's Day - a day when the Irish the world over celebrate being Irish - so it is entirely appropriate that I write today.

I've never been a huge fan of Patrick - Brendan the Navigator is a much more interesting character. Patrick, for the record, was not Irish, (he was probably the son of a Roman tax collector, and from what is now England or Wales.) Nor was he the first man to bring Christianity to Ireland. There had been at least 3 others before him. Patrick's name survives of course because he was the one people wrote about. (So you see, it is writers who create immortals!)

I've not been as active on the forum as previously, though I do log in every day to see what people are saying. I have been in the United States, researching portions of The Warlock and gathering material for the new series. I've recorded a series of video clues and hints which will be appearing in the next couple of weeks (the first one is just out), and I've also recorded all the introductions and clues for the new online game which will appear shortly.

The movie inches forward - as soon as there is any news, I'll announce here it and, for the record, there have been no auditions, there is no cast, there is no script. Only believe a post with my name or Zephfire's name attached.

I can confirm that I am going to release a quote a day for the month of May from The Necromancer.

And, as always, thank you for your continued support. I've said it before, but it bears repeating, a book is just dead words on the page. It is you - the readers - who bring it alive.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#6 [url]

Apr 13 10 11:24 PM

I have just learned (via Zephfire of course) that Random House have released the first five chapters of The Necromancer as a teaser. I knew it was happening, but did not think it was going to happen for a couple of weeks.

Here is a direct link to the pdf, but be aware, there are spoilers:

http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/necromanc...ptersampler.pdf

so if you really do not want to know, then don't read it.

No doubt you will let me know what you think!

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#7 [url]

Apr 18 10 4:44 PM

I have just learned (because authors are always the last to know), that the UK publication dates of The Necromancer in hardback (and possibly The Sorceress in paperback, though this is unclear), have been changed to the 5th August.

USA, Canada and Australia dates still remain at 25th May.

The new UK August dates are to accommodate the relaunch of the series in England and Ireland with new covers. The plans is to rejacket the existing titles with a new style cover treatment, and launch The Necromancer at the same time with the new style cover.

If you are collecting the existing covers, the Australian editions of The Sorceress in the paperback and The Necromancer in hardback will stay in the same style and livery. There are no plans at this time for any of the non-English language publishers to change the covers and the American Delacourt covers will remain in the same style

As soon as I get further information or covers, I will post them here.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#8 [url]

Apr 24 10 9:44 AM

I am beginning to see some questions repeated and reposted in the Questions thread. Please do not repost.

You know I try and answer as many questions as possible. I read them all. I check the Forum almost every day and go through the all the threads and I'm always thrilled when I see people researching their way to the truth.

However, sometimes I choose not to answer specific questions in this thread. The reason is quite simple: if I answer your question, I am going to reveal something about the coming books and spoil a surprise.

So it is always worthwhile analyzing what I do not (or cannot at this time) answer. When the series is complete, I will then be free to reply to all the questions I've missed.

Also, before posting a question, do check the FAQ here on the forum and also on my own website http://www.dillonscott.com/the-secrets-of-...-flamel/faq.htm

I also want to thank the mods here who step in and answer some of the questions. It helps tremendously. I am deep into book 5, The Warlock, at the moment and gearing up for the launch of The Necromancer on the 25th May.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#9 [url]

Jun 1 10 6:20 PM

So the Necromancer is out and I am really thrilled that so many of you like it. This was, as I've said before, the hardest of the books to write, and now that some of you have had a chance to read it, you will see why.

I'm going to try and keep this spoiler free, so I'm not going to discuss specifics of the story. I will do that when I respond in the clearly marked spoiler threads.

I've spent the past couple of hours catching up on the forum and reading my way through the threads. It is interesting to see how close some people are getting to the truth. Though, let me tell you, I still have one monstrous surprise up my sleeve for you, but you'll not get that till book six.

There is one thing of remember when reading this series - all the action in the books thus far have taken place in less than a week. Its easy to forget that because the books are published a year apart.

I am deep into The Warlock at the moment (and portions of The Enchantress.) If The Necromancer is the calm before the storm, then the last two ARE the storm!

Publicity dates are starting to come through. Zephfire will post them here as soon as they are confirmed, but San Diego ComicCon is confirmed, plus an appearance at the 2010 National Scouts Jamboree. There will also be some signings in the Washington area. More details to follow.

The movie creeps along (and I'm really not too upset about this.) The more books there are in print, the less chance there is that the script will be rewritten or altered beyond all recognition. Like most of you, I've seen too many movies that barely resemble the books they were based off. Because of the structure of these novels, I can't allow too many movie changes.

I know some of you in Ireland and the UK are frustrated because of The Necromancer will not be published till August. Random UK are reissuing the entire series with new covers. These are radically different to the USA editions, and I'll post them here as soon as I get finished versions.

And once again, thank you for your continued support.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#10 [url]

Jun 13 10 4:00 PM

Once again, I'll keep this post spoiler free for those of you who have not read The Necromancer.

I'm thrilled with the response to the new book and I know you're all eager to read The Warlock (and I'm eager to finish it!)

Most of you know I come on the forums every day and answer questions. However, be aware that there are certain questions I cannot and will not answer. If you ask me a specific question about The Warlock or The Enchantress (or even about The Necromancer at this stage), I cannot answer. It would be unfair to everyone. If a question has been asked (and answered) previously, I'll not answer it. I'm also grateful when the mods and other members answer questions for me. It really helps.

One of the great things about this forum is the level of really good research and discussion about the characters and books. If you have a point of view, then join a discussion and argue your case. I've said before, some of the members now are coming very close to the truth.

There are confirmed publication dates of 5th August for the UK and Irish editions of The Necromancer and the relaunch of the series with the new covers. Random UK have gone for very dramatic, action orientated covers. As soon as I have final versions I'll ask Zephfire to post them here.

Also, Delacourt USA, have confirmed that they will be publishing a 3 book boxed set in late September. It will comprise of the first 3 three books and be called The First Codex.

When The Necromancer was published at the end of May it went straight onto the New York Times Bestseller list at number 3 in the "Series" list, below Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Percy Jackson. Thanks to all of you for making that happen.

With best wishes,
Michael

Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#11 [url]

Jun 13 10 4:20 PM

Please do NOT post spoilers in non spoilered threads.

I spend a lot of time creating these books, weaving together all the little clues, surprises and reveals. If you're read The Necromancer, you now have a lot of information about the backstory to the characters.

Revealing that information to members who have not had a chance to read the books is not cool, not funny and completely unfair, not only to those members, but to me also.

Remember, this forum has members from all over the world. Although the books have been published in the USA, Canada and Australia, some countries (including my own home country, Ireland) have still not got their editions.

So before posting - think. (And then go and post in the clearly marked spoiler thread.)

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#12 [url]

Jun 16 10 3:20 PM

I've just posted something on my FaceBook page, but I thought it worth sharing here:

I'm always delighted to get emails from readers, and I do my best to answer all of them. However, recently I've started getting emails not about the books, but about the wikipages about the books. Unfortunately the community pages here on FB are using wiki as their source.

I do NOT write the wiki pages, nor do I write... the summaries of the books on wiki. Some of the information is simply wrong and (if you've not read The Necromancer yet) reveals spoilers.

The best source for the most up to date information about the books
comes either from my own website www.dillonscott.com or the official fan
forum http://flamelssecret.9.forumer.com/

So let me add this just to the forum members. I need your help.

One of the reasons all of you are on this site is because you really like this series. If you spot an obvious error on a website, or if someone is posting something obviously wrong - like The Magician is named after St Germain (no he's not, its Dee) - then do let us know here, so I and the mods can work to correct those errors. It is very easy for a mistake to drift across the web and cause endless confusion.

Thank you.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#13 [url]

Jun 16 10 3:55 PM

A couple of days ago, I posted asking people not to post spoilers.

However, people are still posting spoilers. Why is that?

A big chunk of the world has not got the 4th book yet - so please think before you post. You could be ruining it for everyone else (and you'll end up on post moderation into the bargain.)

Remember, you learned a lot of new info in book 4. If you're going to post a reply, ask yourself if that data has come from the new book. If it has, then post it in the clearly marked Spoiler threads.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#14 [url]

Jun 27 10 2:18 PM

Wikipedia.

In the last couple of weeks we've some incorrect material posted to the series wiki pages.

For example, no matter how many times I say Dee is The Magician, someone is sure I'm wrong and that it must be Saint Germain or maybe Dee is The Necromancer, and so they go in an change it on Wikipedia ... and of course cause endless confusion, and even more work because we've got to go back in and fix it.

I have no idea if the forum members are editing the wikipages and if you are, I know this is not deliberate vandalism, but enthusiasm. If you have an idea about the books, then post here in the forums, please do not edit the wikipages to support a personal opinion.

The only person authorized by me to keep my pages correct and up to date is Zephfire.

If you spot an error, then drop her a pm. Also, if you notice something amiss on the pages, then let us know also.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#15 [url]

Jun 30 10 4:34 PM

In the last couple of weeks, there have been numerous changes to the Flamel wiki pages, most of them to do with the book titles and who each book is named after. Zephfire, who is the only person authorized by me to edit the entries has to go in and change them ... and then a few hours later, someone will come along and change it right back to reflect their personal opinion. If you're going to edit wiki, at least have a look at the history of changes.

So, to lay this to rest, here's who the first three titles relate to.

The Alchemyst is Nicholas Flamel
The Magician is Doctor John Dee
The Sorceress is Perenelle Flamel

The Necromancer is (well, I'll not say it here until the book comes out in the rest of the world, but it's not Dr Dee!)

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#16 [url]

Jul 6 10 10:18 PM

Spoilers again!

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone reads me here - or if they do, is anyone listening to me.

Spoilers people, spoilers. Necromancer is only available in the US, Canada and Australia. Lots of countries have not got their copies (including Ireland) and lots more will not get the translated versions for at least a year.

To enable you all to chat about characters and situations within the new book, Zephire and the mods created specially marked spoiler sections.

However, some people still insist on posting outside the sections (and end up on post moderation for 7 or more days because of it.)

In exactly the same way that you don't want someone spoiling the end of your favorite TV show or movie, then please don't spoil the end of The Necromancer for people who've not had a chance to read it.

We're not stopping you from posting. I want to hear all your new ideas, I want to know that you're picking up the clues ... but think first and then post in the correct thread.

On other news: I'm working hard on The Warlock and The Enchantress. I know a few people said book four was "slow" and that "nothing happened" (though I've a feeling they may have been reading a different book to the one I wrote.) They will not have that complaint about book 5.

I'm gearing up for some events to promote The Necromancer in the US - Zephfire will post details shortly.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#17 [url]

Jul 27 10 7:03 PM

A report from on the road. I am currently sitting in the lobby of an hotel in Washington DC, about to go and sign in one of my favorite bookshops, Politics and Prose. Then I will take a two hour drive to the Boy Scouts Jamboree, where, along with Christopher Paolini and James Patterson, I will speak and read.

http://www.scoutingnews.org/tag/michael-scott/

On other news, the short story, The Death of Joan of Arc, which was posted here as a gift for members, will soon be available to buy. Delacourt will issue it as a digital only download in about two weeks for .99cent. Zephfire will have details in the next couple of days and will post them here.

Also on book news, Delacourt will issue a 3 volume boxed set of the paperbacks on the 28th September. It going to be called The First Codex (and yes, the second set will be called The Second Codex.)

The Necromancer appears in a couple of days in UK and Ireland. It will have the new covers and the first three are being rejacketed. I know some of you have very mixed feelings about the new covers and I've got some mail asking me why I changed the covers mid-way through the series. Let me re-iterate that it has nothing to do with me. This decision was made by Random House UK. I haven't seen finished copies yet, but I do think the new style is going to look very dramatic. There are no plans to change the covers for the US editions. I've just seen an early draft of The Warlock cover (there are plans for it to be printed on gold foil) and it looks spectacular! But don't ask me to post it just yet. It's nowhere near finished.

I was at Comic Con last week - it was quite a blast. Anyone interested in science fiction, fantasy or horror, novel, graphic novels, games, movies, tv ... you have to go there! On Sunday, I interviewed Rick Riordan before an audience of 1000 people.

Here's an image of Rick

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2530246656/nm2292894

and if you splice it together with the image of me

http://www.imdb.com/features/comic_con/201...25-rm2513469440

You'll get the full effect. If you were looking at the stage, I was to the right.

You know I'm a huge fan of his work and I'm delighted to report that he is a genuinely nice man.

I know I've not been as active on the forum of late. Put it down to traveling and The
Necromancer tour. However, you know that I do read all the questions and comments and I will be awarding Gold, Silver and maybe even a Black aura soon!

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#18 [url]

Jul 31 10 4:14 AM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ July 27, 2010 08:03 pm)
On other news, the short story, The Death of Joan of Arc, which was posted here as a gift for members, will soon be available to buy.  Delacourt will issue it as a digital only download in about two weeks for .99cent.  Zephfire will have details in the next couple of days and will post them here.
With best wishes,

Michael

The details are up now, you can find them here The Death Of Joan Of Arc

Mark you calenders members! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#19 [url]

Aug 24 10 8:55 PM

I'm back from my travels in the US and went straight from there to Edinburgh for the Book Festival, which was great fun. I interviewed Mary Hoffman about her Stravaganza series (in which she has a character based on Dr John Dee), and then I was interviewed in conversation with the fabulous Australian writer, Isobel Carmody. I've been a fan of the Obernewtyn Chronicles for a very long time. (I just wish she's write them quicker ... but I bet that sounds familiar!) As a complete aside, there is some great fantasy coming out of Australia these days, and indeed, the Flamel series have been really successful in Australia and New Zealand.

Today, the 24th August, Random House publish their first ever exclusive digital only title: The Death of Joan of Arc. Initially, we though it would only be available in the US for .99 cents, but it has turned up on Amazon UK for 69p. Forum members were treated to a peek at this story earlier in the year.

I'm thinking I should start work on another, but I'm going to ask the mods to open a poll: which character would you like to read a little more about? (You can choose anyone other than Sophie or Josh.)

Here's the official press release for The Death of Joan of Arc.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ra...-101400839.html

In other news: I'm pushing hard on Warlock and Enchantress and, as a clue, I spent some time during my recent trip to the US exploring Anasazi ruins.

I know you want me to name The Necromancer, and I will do that in my very next posting.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#20 [url]

Sep 3 10 12:08 PM

Just a quick update on stock availability of The Necromancer in the UK. We've had a lot of PM's and emails to the forum recently and on the FB account telling me that there were no books in the shops.

I've now spoken to the good people in Random House and it is both good and bad news. Bad news first: some shops have run out of stock. Good news: the new book is selling far faster than the previous, so thank you to everyone for that. There is a reprint coming and as soon as I have dates, I will post them here, but we are talking a matter of days. However, there should be plenty of the first three in stock.

With best wishes,

Michael

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help