Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 22 08 4:14 PM

Hi Spacecadet
Many thanks for the pronunciation. I have been wondering about it for a while. Now I know.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#42 [url]

Nov 22 08 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ November 21, 2008 02:31 pm)
QUOTE (hitmanjls @ November 11, 2008 01:59 pm)
wow, I had to double check what topic I was in.

I find it interesting that Scatty has never had a boyfriend, elder or humani....  It seems that the elder race, like humani, have the need from mothers and fathers.  So it would be suffice to say that they have relationships just like we do...

Why hasn't Scatty ever fallen in love?   Ideas?

Or, has she...  and because of the loss of that love she now shuns it?

Let me help you there, Scatty did have lovers in her many years, she had a daughter Uathach by one, and lost another, called Setanta (who was also a lover to her daughter) to her sister Aoife.(If you're wondering about the pronunciation of those names, if i remember right, Uathach is said as oo-thack and Aoife is said as ee-fa/ eva)
Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#45 [url]

Nov 23 08 4:24 PM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 23, 2008 06:39 am)
well, its fun really to you know do a bit of research into everything, this way, even knowledge increases....

man i hate it when that happens

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#47 [url]

Nov 30 08 5:05 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 22, 2008 11:39 pm)
I might be getting this wrong but I remember someone once saying something about Scathach having a sister that tried to kill her.

Yes, that sister is Aoife.

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#48 [url]

Dec 1 08 11:16 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 18, 2008 10:27 pm)
As for Scatty in love, I think I know who she ends up with at the end of the series. An immortal Josh. Josh has a crush on her or had one. In the Alchemyst in her place he says she is "cool" with a casual tone. We get Sophie's thoughts on this that he likes her.

Remember, book one takes place over two days, book two takes place over another two days, so that hasn’t been a whole lot of time. I think Josh quite likes Scathach and I know there’s an interesting character coming up for Sophie to like, but time is the great problem here.

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#50 [url]

Dec 1 08 8:12 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ December 01, 2008 08:16 am)

If Aoife does show up and joins Dee's side, who do you think she'll go after, Scatty, Perenelle, the twins or Nicholas?

The only thing that keeps nagging at me is that I am not sure Scatty has a sister - in the books. I know that mythologically she does (although one of the Celtic history books I have says in the entry about Aife that "she was the daughter, sister, and/or double of the fearsome, Scathach...in some myths, Aife was Scathatch's rival rather than her sister." So in some ways, I think it depends on the version of the myth that you read)

But in the Magician, this is the exchange with Sophie about her family:
QUOTE (The Magician)

Have you ever had a a boyfriend?

Scathach looked at her sharply, then turned her face away to stare into a shop window. For a moment Sophie thought she was examining the display of shoes, but then she realized that the Warrior was looking at her own reflection in the glass. The girl wondered what she saw.

No, Scatty finally admitted. There's never been anyone close, anyone special. She smiled tightly. The Elders fear and avoid me. And I try not to get too close to humani. It s too hard watching them age and die....What about your family? The Witch of Endor mentioned your mother and brother. Even as she was speaking, images from the Witch's memories popped into her mind: a sharp-faced older woman with bloodred eyes and an ashen-skinned young man with blazing red hair. The Warrior shrugged uncomfortably. We don't talk much these days. My parents were Elders, born and raised on the isle of Danu Talis. When my grandmother Dora left the island to teach the first humani, they never forgave her. Like many Elders, they considered the humani to be little better than beasts. Curiosities, my father called them. A flicker of disgust crossed her face. Prejudice has always been with us. My mother and father were even more shocked when I announced that I too was going to work with the humani, to fight for them, to protect them when I could.

So while there might be a sister (images of her father don't flash, but she has one) that is just not mentioned, maybe this is one of the places where the myth differs from the book. And none of the reading I have done on the real Scathatch mentions a brother...

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

hitmanjls

Next Generation Elder

#51 [url]

Dec 1 08 8:21 PM

QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ December 01, 2008 04:12 pm)
...in some myths, Aife was Scathatch's rival rather than her sister." So in some ways, I think it depends on the version of the myth that you read)

I believe that she is BOTH sister and rival at the same time.

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#52 [url]

Dec 1 08 9:13 PM

QUOTE (hitmanjls @ December 01, 2008 03:21 pm)
QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ December 01, 2008 04:12 pm)
...in some myths, Aife was Scathatch's rival rather than her sister."  So in some ways, I think it depends on the version of the myth that you read)

I believe that she is BOTH sister and rival at the same time.

You may be right. I hadn't even thought of it that way. Either way, I think it will be interesting to see what ends up happening with Scatty and her family! flamelssecret/icon_bounce.gif

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#54 [url]

Dec 2 08 1:14 PM

Just because she's a "rival" doesn't necessarily mean that she'll be on the bad guy's side.

"rival" and "enemy" are not interchangeable.

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#56 [url]

Dec 2 08 1:32 PM

QUOTE (hitmanjls @ December 02, 2008 09:23 am)
Just like Perry and Aerop-enap!

The enemy of my enemy is my temporary ally

I won't even go to the "enemy of my enemy"

I don't think her and her sister are "enemies" really. As in, I don't think they were ever on "opposite sides of a battle" kind of thing.

rival - a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#58 [url]

Dec 2 08 2:52 PM

I am going to add my flamelssecret/twocents.gif - because there are multiple definitions of "rival" and while I agree with Godsryche on his definition of "rival" - an additional dictionary entry includes: "Opponent, challenger, competitor, contender; adversary, antagonist, enemy; literary foe. Antonym: ally." To me, that says that they could in fact be enemies - not just folks competing for the same object in a friendly manner.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Dec 4 08 1:58 AM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ December 01, 2008 11:16 am)
QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 18, 2008 10:27 pm)
As for Scatty in love, I think I know who she ends up with at the end of the series. An immortal Josh. Josh has a crush on her or had one. In the Alchemyst in her place he says she is "cool" with a casual tone. We get Sophie's thoughts on this that he likes her.

Remember, book one takes place over two days, book two takes place over another two days, so that hasn’t been a whole lot of time. I think Josh quite likes Scathach and I know there’s an interesting character coming up for Sophie to like, but time is the great problem here.

Ya personally i think that Scatty is in a completly different plane then Josh. She is closer to the making plans centuries ahead and he is still making plans just days away. I think it could be possible and she will probably be greatful to him for helping her when she was captured.

?!? TRANSMUTATION ?!?

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Dec 5 08 4:45 AM

QUOTE (Spacecadet @ November 11, 2008 01:41 pm)
Its probably not that she's never had the opportunity but im guessing some kind of love interest developed at some point and she realized why it was a bad idea and it hurt her, hence the super hard exterior.

Didn't Scathach say in The Alchemyst that she can't feel? I think that would include love.

2012: Embrace the change.
Aura Colour: Light Purple
Aura Scent: Lilac Rain

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help