Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Feb 17 10 6:34 PM

LOL

So the whole "Xerxes as a God" reference makes for incredible movie lore and mythology but the truth is somewhat less than glamorous.

Xerxes never actually declared himself a god he was in fact by most accounts the adversary of the daevas, the ancient pre-Zoroastrian gods, and identified the Babylonian gods with these fallen gods of the Aryan religion.

The questions arise of whether he himself was a Zoroastrian. But we are still talking religion not deity.

Xerxes would willingly have devoted himself to peaceful activities. But many of those around him wanted the renewal of hostilities. His cousin and brother-in-law Mardonius, supported by a strong party of exiled Greeks, incited him to take revenge for the affront that Darius had suffered at the hands of the Greeks at Marathon in 490 BC.

It actually took him over 3 years to build his armies and when he finally set out to battle it was still with slight trepidation. He was later distorted in Greek legend, was neither foolish nor overly optimistic; although sensible and intelligent, he was nevertheless

QUOTE (G. Glotz)
....a sovereign by divine right, to whom opposition was as annoying as sacrilege . . . nervous in temperament, fallen from youthful fire into indolence, incited to make a war he didn't like. . . .

We all know the stories of his conquests (Thermopylae, Athens, etc) but he actually retreated back to Persia and in 465 BC was assassinated together with his eldest son, by his minister Artabanus.

That is why I could see him more as a very old immortal rather than an Elder. We haven't really seen any Elders that were real people yet have we?

user posted image

Aura Color: Midnight Blue......Aura Scent: Fresh Honey
You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Feb 17 10 6:39 PM

QUOTE (phineasnigellus @ February 17, 2010 06:34 pm)
LOL

So the whole "Xerxes as a God" reference makes for incredible movie lore and mythology but the truth is somewhat less than glamorous.

Xerxes never actually declared himself a god he was in fact by most accounts the adversary of the daevas, the ancient pre-Zoroastrian gods, and identified the Babylonian gods with these fallen gods of the Aryan religion.

The questions arise of whether he himself was a Zoroastrian. But we are still talking religion not deity.

Xerxes would willingly have devoted himself to peaceful activities. But many of those around him wanted the renewal of hostilities. His cousin and brother-in-law Mardonius, supported by a strong party of exiled Greeks, incited him to take revenge for the affront that Darius had suffered at the hands of the Greeks at Marathon in 490 BC.

It actually took him over 3 years to build his armies and when he finally set out to battle it was still with slight trepidation. He was later distorted in Greek legend, was neither foolish nor overly optimistic; although sensible and intelligent, he was nevertheless

QUOTE (G. Glotz)
....a sovereign by divine right, to whom opposition was as annoying as sacrilege . . . nervous in temperament, fallen from youthful fire into indolence, incited to make a war he didn't like. . . .

We all know the stories of his conquests (Thermopylae, Athens, etc) but he actually retreated back to Persia and in 465 BC was assassinated together with his eldest son, by his minister Artabanus.

That is why I could see him more as a very old immortal rather than an Elder. We haven't really seen any Elders that were real people yet have we?

Not that I am aware, of all the elders, even the next gens are some kind of deity that is worshiped, except for scatty, was she always a vampire or was she turned by someone/something? But even that being said, so far I think you are right in saying that no elder even next gen is humani.

user posted image

QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)
I've known Nicholas Flamel for a very long time. He is many things-Dangerous and devious, cunning and deadly, a good friend and an implacable enemy-but he comes from an age when a man's word was indeed precious. If he gives you his word that he's done all this for your protection, then I am suggesting that you believe him. ~ Scathach

Aura: Orange...... Scent: Fresh Linen/Cotton...... Element: Wind

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Feb 17 10 8:09 PM

I think the guys said on the Scatty podcast that it doesn't exactly say that she became a vampire but that is the inference.

user posted image

You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Feb 17 10 10:33 PM

QUOTE (phineasnigellus @ February 17, 2010 08:09 pm)
I think the guys said on the Scatty podcast that it doesn't exactly say that she became a vampire but that is the inference.

So do you think that will come up with her and Jon during their "vacation" or no.

user posted image

QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)
I've known Nicholas Flamel for a very long time. He is many things-Dangerous and devious, cunning and deadly, a good friend and an implacable enemy-but he comes from an age when a man's word was indeed precious. If he gives you his word that he's done all this for your protection, then I am suggesting that you believe him. ~ Scathach

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Feb 18 10 3:00 PM

QUOTE (TheConduit @ February 17, 2010 10:33 pm)
QUOTE (phineasnigellus @ February 17, 2010 08:09 pm)

So do you think that will come up with her and Jon during their "vacation" or no.

Interesting thought but I think that discussion belongs more in the Scatty thread.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Mar 1 10 10:38 PM

Ha, I could imagine Machiavelli walking down a hallway or something with the Darth Vader theme song playing in the background.
Anyways, there are some starwars possibilities in the series, like the possibility of one of the bad guys changing sides and saving the twins (aka, pulling a Vader). However, we don't have enough information to make a star wars theory to predict the plotlines of future books (like they did with Eragon).

Aura color: blue
Scent: apples
Elemental Magic: earth
Live long and prosper, may the stars watch over you, and may the force be with you!- from Star Trek, Eragon, and Star Wars

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Mar 1 10 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Mist060 @ March 01, 2010 10:38 pm)
Ha, I could imagine Machiavelli walking down a hallway or something with the Darth Vader theme song playing in the background.
Anyways, there are some starwars possibilities in the series, like the possibility of one of the bad guys changing sides and saving the twins (aka, pulling a Vader). However, we don't have enough information to make a star wars theory to predict the plotlines of future books (like they did with Eragon).

There are alot of refrences to Star Wars in the books though, lots of carefully placed quotes and thoughts.

user posted image

QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Mar 2 10 4:43 PM

QUOTE (TheConduit @ March 01, 2010 11:20 pm)

There are alot of refrences to Star Wars in the books though, lots of carefully placed quotes and thoughts.

Such as....? I'm interested in the Eragon references, I guess Star Wars because its a classic... flamelssecret/sFun_scared.gif

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Mar 2 10 4:47 PM

QUOTE (Powerstar @ March 02, 2010 04:43 pm)
QUOTE (TheConduit @ March 01, 2010 11:20 pm)

Such as....? I'm interested in the Eragon references, I guess Star Wars because its a classic... flamelssecret/sFun_scared.gif

I don't know of any Eragon references in the books but definitely Star Wars.

I'll have to track them down, but hopefully others will help out in bringing the quotes and lines into the light.

user posted image

QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#30 [url]

Mar 10 10 2:46 AM

There are no Eragon references in these books, there are nods to Star Wars and Raiders Of The Lost Ark amongst others, I've deleted the very flamelssecret/OFF T SMILEY.gif ramblings about Eragon and Avatar so back on track now please! flamelssecret/rulez.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Mar 17 10 4:27 AM

Raiders of the Lost Ark, I must have missed that one completely someone care to enlighten me.

Or at least the book, and page number.

user posted image

QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#32 [url]

Mar 17 10 12:06 PM

QUOTE (TheConduit @ March 17, 2010 12:27 am)
Raiders of the Lost Ark, I must have missed that one completely someone care to enlighten me.

Or at least the book, and page number.

A while ago we had posted a page on the Portal site with the references -

http://www.flamels-immortal-portal.com/swindyreferences.php

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Mar 17 10 7:44 PM

Thank you Gods, that line just totally flew over my head haha. And nice catch with the Charles Dickens reference Hitman.

user posted image

QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Mar 24 10 9:00 PM

Yeah, thanks for the page hitman! Shouldn't you add the quote from Hamlet in the Alchemyst in there too? And the various Shakespeare quotes from the Sorceress?

Live long and prosper, may the stars watch over you, and may the force be with you!- from Star Trek, Eragon, and Star Wars

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#35 [url]

Mar 25 10 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Mist060 @ March 24, 2010 05:00 pm)
Yeah, thanks for the page hitman! Shouldn't you add the quote from Hamlet in the Alchemyst in there too? And the various Shakespeare quotes from the Sorceress?

it was me, and your welcome!

And considering the numerous quotes by Shakespeare were said by Shakespeare I don't think they are really "obscure references"

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#36 [url]

Mar 25 10 2:45 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ March 10, 2010 02:46 am)
There are no Eragon references in these books, there are nods to Star Wars and Raiders Of The Lost Ark amongst others, I've deleted the very flamelssecret/OFF T SMILEY.gif ramblings about Eragon and Avatar so back on track now please! flamelssecret/rulez.gif
Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#37 [url]

Mar 25 10 2:46 PM

QUOTE (Godsryche @ March 25, 2010 12:03 pm)
QUOTE (Mist060 @ March 24, 2010 05:00 pm)

it was me, and your welcome!

And considering the numerous quotes by Shakespeare were said by Shakespeare I don't think they are really "obscure references"
Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Mar 25 10 11:16 PM

How about trying to identify the Shakespeare quotes by the plays? You never know: there might even be a clue there!

Michael

flamelssecret/faint.gif Here we go again, hahah, A hunting I will go.

user posted image

QUOTE ( The Alchemyst)

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Mar 25 10 11:34 PM

Well, there was the one reference that I mentioned from Hamlet that Flamel told Sophie in the car as they were driving across the golden gate bridge in the Alchemist.

There are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Shakespeare also told Perry, during the spider-web scrying session, that he wrote a line in one of his plays after her. I forget play it was in.
Also, this has nothing to do with Shakespeare, but there was a reference to Lord of the Rings in the beggining of the Alchemist, when Sophie asked Perry if the gollums she were talking about were like Gollum from the Lord of the Rings.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Mar 26 10 4:46 PM

QUOTE (TheConduit @ March 25, 2010 11:16 pm)
How about trying to identify the Shakespeare quotes by the plays? You never know: there might even be a clue there!

Michael

flamelssecret/faint.gif Here we go again, hahah, A hunting I will go.

Actually we have many of the quotes figured out already in the Shakespeare thread, but not all. And there is major disection still to be done. Shall we head over there and try to figure some more of these clues out?

user posted image
Aura: Sage
Scent: Old and New Books

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help