Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

Lead

Aug 20 09 1:17 AM

Tags : :

Once proud warrior and champion of the people, then insane tyrant, feared by all. Once adored husband of the Witch of Endor, now cursed by very same with help from his sister Bastet. Currently trapped in solidified bone in the catacombs of Paris, and allied to the Dark Elders and Dee, he awakened Josh and gave him a gift..what motivates this warrior king?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 20 09 4:51 AM

Okay lets talk about Mars;

Mars, the Roman God of War, was one of the most worshipped and revered gods throughout ancient Rome. He was the son of Jupiter and Juno and according to legend, fathered Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, with the vestal virgin Rhea Silvia. Because of this mythological lineage, the Roman people felt as though they were also the children of Mars and he was regarded as their protector. '

Romulus and Remus were the twin sons of Rhea Silvia and Mars. They were, together with their mother, cast into the Tiber. The god Tiberinussaved Rhea Silvia from drowning, and the brothers were miraculously rescued by a she-wolf. The wolf reared the twins together with her cubs underneath a fig tree (the 'ruminalus ficus'). After a few years they were found by the shepherd Faustulus, who took the brothers home and gave them to his wife Acca Larentia to raise. When they reached maturity they killed Amelius, the brother of their grandfather, and built a settlement on the Palatine Hill. During a quarrel where Remus mocked the height of the walls, Romulus slew Remus and became the sole ruler of the new Rome, which he had named after himself.

He is accompanied by Fuga and Timor, the personifications of flight and fear. His Greek equivalent is the god Ares.

Unlike Mars, Ares never enjoyed the popularity of his Roman counterpart. Ares was tall and handsome, but vain and cruel. He was known as the despicable god of war, who "delights in the slaughter of men and the sacking of towns." Ares was loathed by all the other gods, including his own parents, Zeus (Jupiter) and Hera (Juno). He was loved only by his sister, Eris (Discord), her son, Strife, and oddly enough by the beautiful Aphrodite (the Roman Venus).

Ares fathered many children with Aphrodite, including his constant companions on the battle field, Phobos (Panic), and Deimos (Fear). They would become the names of the red planet's two moons

In astrology, Mars is the ruler of Aries. The sun enters the sign of Aries on March 21, the vernal equinox, and it heralds the season of spring when everything awakens, grows and sprouts after dormant winter months. Aries is the leader, the first sign around the zodiac wheel. Mars is the planet of energy, action, and of lust and passion. It is the survival instinct, and can be thought of as the animal nature of man. It is a cardinal, active, initiating sign; and its element is fire, bringing enthusiasm, chi, the spark of life.

So my question... Are Mars ans Ares one in the same? Meaning did Mars start out as Mars and then through tragedy and pain take on the persona of Ares?

user posted image

Aether is the solitary tenant of the Universe, it gives form to matter, but matter also occupies and manipulates Aether. All Physical existence derives its geometry from Aether.
Aura color: BLACK..........Aura Scent: Russian Olive Tree..........Magical Specialty: Alchemy.......... Elemental Magic: Aether/Time

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 20 09 5:20 AM

QUOTE (mr_mears @ August 20, 2009 04:51 am)

Mars, the Roman God of War, was one of the most worshipped and revered gods throughout ancient Rome. He was the son of Jupiter and Juno and according to legend, fathered Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, with the vestal virgin Rhea Silvia. Because of this mythological lineage, the Roman people felt as though they were also the children of Mars and he was regarded as their protector. '

Romulus and Remus were the twin sons of Rhea Silvia and Mars. They were, together with their mother, cast into the Tiber. The god Tiberinussaved Rhea Silvia from drowning, and the brothers were miraculously rescued by a she-wolf. The wolf reared the twins together with her cubs underneath a fig tree (the 'ruminalus ficus'). After a few years they were found by the shepherd Faustulus, who took the brothers home and gave them to his wife Acca Larentia to raise. When they reached maturity they killed Amelius, the brother of their grandfather, and built a settlement on the Palatine Hill. During a quarrel where Remus mocked the height of the walls, Romulus slew Remus and became the sole ruler of the new Rome, which he had named after himself.

He is accompanied by Fuga and Timor, the personifications of flight and fear. His Greek equivalent is the god Ares.

Unlike Mars, Ares never enjoyed the popularity of his Roman counterpart. Ares was tall and handsome, but vain and cruel. He was known as the despicable god of war, who "delights in the slaughter of men and the sacking of towns." Ares was loathed by all the other gods, including his own parents, Zeus (Jupiter) and Hera (Juno). He was loved only by his sister, Eris (Discord), her son, Strife, and oddly enough by the beautiful Aphrodite (the Roman Venus).

Ares fathered many children with Aphrodite, including his constant companions on the battle field, Phobos (Panic), and Deimos (Fear). They would become the names of the red planet's two moons

In astrology, Mars is the ruler of Aries. The sun enters the sign of Aries on March 21, the vernal equinox, and it heralds the season of spring when everything awakens, grows and sprouts after dormant winter months. Aries is the leader, the first sign around the zodiac wheel. Mars is the planet of energy, action, and of lust and passion. It is the survival instinct, and can be thought of as the animal nature of man. It is a cardinal, active, initiating sign; and its element is fire, bringing enthusiasm, chi, the spark of life.

So my question... Are Mars ans Ares one in the same? Meaning did Mars start out as Mars and then through tragedy and pain take on the persona of Ares?

I think it mentions in one of the books that Mars and Ares are one in the same. Ares would have come before Mars, because the Romans based their gods on the Greek ones.

By the way, I'm an Aries. Aries can be described as masculine traits or tendencies.

user posted image
"Be who you are, what you were, what they see. From eternity's view, tell me which one is me." -Epiphany, TSO
Aura color: GOLD..........Scent: Burning matches

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#3 [url]

Aug 20 09 8:18 AM

QUOTE (Sparticle @ August 20, 2009 05:20 am)
QUOTE (mr_mears @ August 20, 2009 04:51 am)

I think it mentions in one of the books that Mars and Ares are one in the same. Ares would have come before Mars, because the Romans based their gods on the Greek ones.

By the way, I'm an Aries. Aries can be described as masculine traits or tendencies.

yes, some depicts it as such, but according to the research I made Mars was more revered by the Romans becuase they see him as his protector. although e is widely known to be a war god, he was originally the Romans god of fertility, vegetation and cattle. on the other hand Ares is only known to be god of war and death. this is why I think MS chose the name Mars Ultor rather than Ares. because the Romans loved him rather than fear him. the Romans worship of him often supecede Jupiter even if he is the King of the roman gods due to the fact that he fathered the founder of their civilization. Also because they view him as having equal power to Jupiter because they were both members of the archaic Capitoline Triad.

user posted image
Ravenclaw | Ekaterina Agent | Mage
"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" ~ A. E.
Aura: RED
Scent: warm sea breeze

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 20 09 10:46 AM

But, it wasn't really Mar's fault that he went mental. It was because he had the twin swords on his back and kept using them,and that just made him go crazy, and after his son's died. But I want to know why the swords didn't join together while he had them? Or maybe he knew how to separate them or.....?

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#5 [url]

Aug 22 09 10:31 AM

it wasn't specifically mentioned why he went to the dark side, but that my assumtin too. although there maybe something else, something that made him trun from the humani.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 14 09 6:29 PM

You know the 'gift'? I am wondering what that is... You know how Josh knows stuff he didn't? I'm thinking Mars gave him his memories! That's what I think. Hmm.
flamelssecret/pray.gif

Thanks for reading, The Magic Kid flamelssecret/ashamed___.gif

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!? Gilgamesh is a TRAMP? I'll have to keep reading the Sorceress... (I thought he would be more kingly.)

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 14 09 9:57 PM

I believe Mars spoke of his twins; how one killed the other... if I was going to go crazy that would be a trigger for me.

user posted image

Aether is the solitary tenant of the Universe, it gives form to matter, but matter also occupies and manipulates Aether. All Physical existence derives its geometry from Aether.
Aura color: BLACK..........Aura Scent: Russian Olive Tree..........Magical Specialty: Alchemy.......... Elemental Magic: Aether/Time

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#8 [url]

Sep 15 09 6:59 AM

QUOTE (MagicKid @ September 14, 2009 06:29 pm)
You know the 'gift'? I am wondering what that is... You know how Josh knows stuff he didn't? I'm thinking Mars gave him his memories! That's what I think. Hmm.
flamelssecret/pray.gif

Thanks for reading, The Magic Kid flamelssecret/ashamed___.gif

from what we've seen, it's safe to say he gave Josh strategical knowledge for combat.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 15 09 10:45 PM

I have not finished the 3rd book. (I don't care about spoilers.) Does he ever get released? I was surprised to find that Bastet is his sister, and the Witch was his wife. Does that mean that the Witch is going to turn to the Dark Elder's?

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#10 [url]

Sep 17 09 5:19 PM

Im not entirely sure the best place for this but while doing some research i stumbled upon the name Enyalius who is said to be the son of Ares (aka Mars) and Enyo (aka bellona) This mention of a son i find particularly interesting as it has been speculated that one of the witch's many identities might be Bellona, so might this Enyalius son of Ares and Bellona be Scatty and Aoife's father?

It is said the Enyalius is a near exact replica of his father Ares including his warlike tendencies, in fact Enyalius is sometimes said to be another name for Ares. We know Scatty is a warrior and i imagine based on Aoife's history she is one as well, so it seems fitting they are born from a line of warriors. Further digging reveals Enyalius is synonymous with the roman god Quirinus who is said to be the deified form of Romulus (he was elevated to godlike status after his death i believe), who we know from the series is one of Mars's twin sons. So I think based on these connections its a distinct possibility that Enyalius aka Romulus could possibly be Scatty's father.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Sep 22 09 4:42 AM

I like him even though he is a dark elder bastet likes him, The witch of endor likes him and the reason she cursed him was becuase she loved him so much more than than his sister. wub.gif

"Fire is the most power full of all magics<---- " --Comte De Saint Germain ( Francis)
aura color: light red aura smell: pomegranates
Magics Mastered: water and Fire..........Kind: Magician..........Magics Learned: All
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#12 [url]

Sep 22 09 6:05 AM

QUOTE (Spacecadet @ September 17, 2009 05:19 pm)
Im not entirely sure the best place for this but while doing some research i stumbled upon the name Enyalius who is said to be the son of Ares (aka Mars) and Enyo (aka bellona) This mention of a son i find particularly interesting as it has been speculated that one of the witch's many identities might be Bellona, so might this Enyalius son of Ares and Bellona be Scatty and Aoife's father?

It is said the Enyalius is a near exact replica of his father Ares including his warlike tendencies, in fact Enyalius is sometimes said to be another name for Ares. We know Scatty is a warrior and i imagine based on Aoife's history she is one as well, so it seems fitting they are born from a line of warriors. Further digging reveals Enyalius is synonymous with the roman god Quirinus who is said to be the deified form of Romulus (he was elevated to godlike status after his death i believe), who we know from the series is one of Mars's twin sons. So I think based on these connections its a distinct possibility that Enyalius aka Romulus could possibly be Scatty's father.

interesting, my past search on the Witch doesn't ahven't led me to any Bellona connection, i'll have to look further into this.

My reasearch on Mars in the past connects him to Quirinus because both are members of the archaic Cpitoline Triad along w/ Jupiter. Also Quirinus was known to be the god of war of the Sabines. and i haven't found a connection between him and Romolus. SC, mind giving me your source so I can look it up?

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#13 [url]

Sep 22 09 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Moviebuff @ September 22, 2009 01:05 am)

interesting, my past search on the Witch doesn't ahven't led me to any Bellona connection, i'll have to look further into this.

My reasearch on Mars in the past connects him to Quirinus because both are members of the archaic Cpitoline Triad along w/ Jupiter. Also Quirinus was known to be the god of war of the Sabines. and i haven't found a connection between him and Romolus. SC, mind giving me your source so I can look it up?

It was a combination of places I dont think i have all the links but some of the information was found at these sites

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/189228/Enyalius

http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Enyalios.html

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/487539/Quirinus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enyalius

If i remember correctly i linked Enyalios to Quirinus and then Quirinus to Romulus. I think I also did some digging on Enyo. If it helps i stumbled into it by looking up Eris which is the new character michael scott mentioned. Eris is supposedly closely linked to Enyo, and sister to Ares.

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#14 [url]

Sep 23 09 10:01 AM

thanks! i'll look into that, probably follow how your method of connecting it.

**EDIT**
haven't gotten around following SC's research yet, but out of boredom on Sunday, I saw an encyclopedia laying around and decided to read up on mythological Characters we discussed and found the Romulus - Quirinus connection. Quirinus is belived to be the divine reincarnation of Romulus and some times belived to be an alternate form of Mars. which makes sense scince both are gods of war

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#15 [url]

Oct 28 09 2:08 PM

Ok so i found this paragraph about Mars in book 2. Im wondering if theres any valuable information.

QUOTE (The Magician)
Sophie started to shake her head. Don t make me think about him , she began, but it was too late. Even as the Alchemyst was asking the question, a series of terrible images flashed through Sophie s mind. She saw a tall,
handsome man standing alone on the top of a dizzyingly high stepped pyramid,
arms raised to the heavens. Across his shoulders he wore a spectacular cloak
of multicolored feathers. Spread out below the pyramid was a huge stone city,
surrounded by a thick jungle. The city was celebrating, the broad streets
thronged with people wearing brightly colored clothes, ornate jewelry and
extravagant feathered cloaks and headdresses. The only absence of color was
in the line of white-clad men and women stretching down the center of the
wide main street. Looking more closely, she realized that they were chained
together with ropes of leather and vine around their necks. Guards wielding whips and spears were driving them toward the pyramid.

It seems like its a celebration/ceremony of some sorts. There is mention of whips and feathers...

Further down, more reference to whips
Josh was kneeling on the ground before what could only be Mars. The huge Elder was holding a broadsword aloft in his left hand, the point touching the
ceiling, while his right was clamped onto her brother s head. Josh s aura was
blazing like wildfire, cocooning him in golden light. Yellow fire spun around
him, throwing off spheres and whips of energy. They splashed against the
walls and ceilings, cutting away chunks of time-yellowed bone to reveal the
white beneath.

Could this be the whip on The Necromancer cover?

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

kh009

Spellcaster

#16 [url]

Oct 29 09 6:04 AM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ October 29, 2009 01:08 am)
Ok so i found this paragraph about Mars in book 2. Im wondering if theres any valuable information.
QUOTE (The Magician)
Sophie started to shake her head. Don t make me think about him , she began, but it was too late. Even as the Alchemyst was asking the question, a series of terrible images flashed through Sophie s mind. She saw a tall,
handsome man standing alone on the top of a dizzyingly high stepped pyramid,
arms raised to the heavens. Across his shoulders he wore a spectacular cloak
of multicolored feathers. Spread out below the pyramid was a huge stone city,
surrounded by a thick jungle. The city was celebrating, the broad streets
thronged with people wearing brightly colored clothes, ornate jewelry and
extravagant feathered cloaks and headdresses. The only absence of color was
in the line of white-clad men and women stretching down the center of the
wide main street. Looking more closely, she realized that they were chained
together with ropes of leather and vine around their necks. Guards wielding whips and spears were driving them toward the pyramid.

may be, from what i've learnt from history class and reaseach, this could be an Aztec pyramid.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#17 [url]

Oct 29 09 8:36 AM

Bellus, i think the whip might be a relation to Mars being a Mayan God as well. the feast/ritual where he stood on a Pyramid seems like it is a scene from the Mayan civilization. i do think the whips in relation to the excerpts you have has been moderately discussed in the Necromancer> The Cover thread. the whips mentioned may very well be the whip in the cover

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 29 09 5:09 PM

So then maybe we will learn more about Mars in Book 4? ... Mars is a very interesting character to me. He has such a dominant personality. Without that curse he has placed on him...he could do some serious damage to Flamel's and the Twins mission.

And this gift that he gave Josh... I wonder if this gift, like the one that the Witch gave Sophie, will cause Josh to start losing himself and more of Mars taking over.

user posted image

Aura Color: Amaranth
Aura Scent: Freshly Broken Pomegranate

Quote    Reply   

Apprentice

#19 [url]

Oct 29 09 9:29 PM

I thought Mars's gift to Josh was the knowledge of strategy for warfare, he had a personality shift somewhat when they were fighting in the Sorceress. I'm pretty sure we'll see him again in The Necromancer, 1. The Debt from Josh and 2. Dee promised to get him released once they capture Sophie. But, I think Sophie has more potential to lose herself, since she's struggling to retain her identity.

Aura: Cyan
Scent: Chocolate/Cinnamon

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Nov 5 09 3:47 PM

I've got a theorie (spelled it rght I hope) on mars in book 3 josh mentions that the wich of endor gave sophie her memories because she was trying to get a new body maby mars wanted to take over josh a jong storng boy with golden aura and the curse would be lifted cause the new body isnt effected is that a good theory or not??

PLz let me know what you think

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help