Remove this ad

hitmanjls

Next Generation Elder

Lead

Aug 14 09 1:35 AM

Tags : :

Random House has recently updated their website to include the cover and release date of book #4 in The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, entitled The Necromancer!

There are some VERY interesting images included... Please give us all your juicy thoughts!

And here it is!!!

user posted image

Plus we got a release date of April 27th 2010 (Date was revised to May 25th 2010)... A month earlier than last year! Thoughts?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 14 09 1:39 AM

flamelssecret/jawdrop.gif
I'm very excited about this book... it seems that the covers get better and better each year! It clearly shows to anyone walking past a bookshelf that South American mythology will be a major part of book 4.

April 27 can't come soon enough! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

P.S. First to post!

user posted image
The Enchantress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
May 22, 2012 | Official Fan Site | Official Author's Site

Aura: Purple.........Scent: Cinnamon.........Elemental Magic: Earth and Water.........Specialty: Magician and Warlock

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 14 09 2:55 AM

well obviously aztec calender in the center not all of it but part.

the skull might be the crystal skull, which might be used in the final summoning since there is more then just the codex involved.

When i see the whip my first thought is indiana jones. but it could be a magic item

the top left symbol is a triple spiral or triskele and is a Celtic and pre-Celtic symbol found on a number of Irish Megalithic and Neolithic sites, most notably inside the Newgrange passage tomb, on the entrance stone, and on some of the curbstones surrounding the mound. plus its always what i thought Scattys tattoo was.

the bottom right one is a japanese kanji im a little rusty and cant remember what it means.

and the top right one is possibly a elder or next gen my guess is a forest spirt.

flamelssecret/wall_.gif i want to read it now flamelssecret/crying.gif

user posted image
Aura colour:Deep navy blue..........Aura scent: Burning Grapes
Aqua, Ignis, Terra, Aero, Tempus temporis
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
La verdadera muerte vendrá a ti

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 14 09 2:55 AM

First of all this cover is AWESOME!! It seems almost... different from the others in terms of style. Now that is art! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

Second of all - and this should help you aquose - I have already figured out, with the help of the internet, what the lower right symbol means. It's the Japanese character for 'die' in kanji. Sounds a little ominous to me. I'm guessing that the presence of this Japanese character means we will definitely see some Asian (or at least just Japanese) themes in The Necromancer. I can't help but wonder also... is it possible that this is foreshadowing someone's death in the next book? Any ideas guys?

user posted image
Each Event is proceeded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event.
~Zurin Arctus|The Underking

Aura color: Indigo
Scent: Blooming trees

Quote    Reply   

Fuzzbinn

Sorcerer

#4 [url]

Aug 14 09 3:24 AM

Hmmm... wonder if Michael will tell us who the Necromancer is now that some more info has bee given by the publishers - anyone know at what point in the process he revealed that Perenelle was the Sorceress beofre the last book came out?

Aura Color: Sunset Orange..........Scent: Pomegranate
Fearus the Fuzzbinnus! Cave Fuzzum!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."...."It's time to toss the dice."
"I don't want a happy ending. I want more story" - Francis Hardinge, Fly By Night
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#5 [url]

Aug 14 09 4:17 AM

Note that an orange (or gold) light is emanating from the center starting from the skull. I think this would mean that Josh will have a vital role to play in this book, moreso that in the previous books.

The kanji is interesting because i remember Michael mentioning that he'll include japanese myth into the series, but i didn't expect it to be in this one.

the upper-left symbol that aquose says is Celtic also reminds me of the symbol for Air in Avatar. It looks similar due to the three swirls - it forms a triangle.

the symbol in the upper-right corner kind of reminds me of a cartoon when i was younger. like a face baing depicted in the a cloud only this is feircer - sort of lion-like.

the whip, althought aquose post also reminded me of Indiana Jones, makes me think of Wonder Woman, Valhala and the Amazons

i'm imagining this - one of the whisps at the upper-right of the central symbol resembles an alibata and i know it's just a whisp flamelssecret/hysterical.gif

user posted image
Ravenclaw | Ekaterina Agent | Mage
"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" ~ A. E.
Aura: RED
Scent: warm sea breeze

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 14 09 4:42 AM

QUOTE (Moviebuff @ August 14, 2009 12:17 am)
the whip, althought aquose post also reminded me of Indiana Jones, makes me think of Wonder Woman, Valhala and the Amazons

Why does it make you think of Valhalla if I may ask? I'm curious.

user posted image
Each Event is proceeded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event.
~Zurin Arctus|The Underking

Aura color: Indigo
Scent: Blooming trees

Quote    Reply   

Moviebuff

Alchemyst

#7 [url]

Aug 14 09 4:58 AM

well i said wonder woman and diana is princess of Valhala

**edit**
OCD kicking in. I had to get back in here... just remembered WW has a laso not a whip I get way ahead of myself when i'm excited not thinking stuff throug flamelssecret/icon_bounce.gif flamelssecret/hysterical.gif

user posted image
Ravenclaw | Ekaterina Agent | Mage
"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" ~ A. E.
Aura: RED
Scent: warm sea breeze

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 14 09 5:42 AM

QUOTE (Indigo Spirit @ August 13, 2009 06:55 pm)
First of all this cover is AWESOME!! It seems almost... different from the others in terms of style. Now that is art! flamelssecret/clap3.gif

Second of all - and this should help you aquose - I have already figured out, with the help of the internet, what the lower right symbol means. It's the Japanese character for 'die' in kanji. Sounds a little ominous to me. :ph34r I'm guessing that the presence of this Japanese character means we will definitely see some Asian (or at least just Japanese) themes in The Necromancer. I can't help but wonder also... is it possible that this is foreshadowing someone's death in the next book? Any ideas guys?

thank you for finding that. and remember that Scatty's sister's assistant is japanese

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#10 [url]

Aug 14 09 10:32 AM

QUOTE (aquose @ August 14, 2009 03:55 am)

the top left symbol is a triple spiral or triskele and is a Celtic and pre-Celtic symbol found on a number of Irish Megalithic and Neolithic sites, most notably inside the Newgrange passage tomb, on the entrance stone, and on some of the curbstones surrounding the mound. plus its always what i thought Scattys tattoo was.

Nice ideas on the triskele! As for Newgrange, what is extra special about Newgrange?.......Could it be the day that it illuminates on? flamelssecret/read.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Aug 14 09 1:55 PM

Oh how exciting! The cover looks menacing and I'm a little bit thrilled, because...well...

The chap in the top right hand corner looks like the Green Man...which is another name for the Horned God...and we KNOW him!

Will he return somehow? Can you ever really kill an Archon?

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

Fuzzbinn

Sorcerer

#12 [url]

Aug 14 09 1:58 PM

Definatly going down to Central/South America based on the cover. I'm hoping for more Mars info - we know he was known as Hutichuzpial (or whatever) post-Fall O' Danu Talis, and was the defender of mankind then, so maybe we'll get more info as to what happened to him and his relationship with the Witch (which could factor into Sophie's issue with the Witch's memories...)

Aura Color: Sunset Orange..........Scent: Pomegranate
Fearus the Fuzzbinnus! Cave Fuzzum!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."...."It's time to toss the dice."
"I don't want a happy ending. I want more story" - Francis Hardinge, Fly By Night
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#13 [url]

Aug 14 09 7:11 PM

My first thought upon seeing the cover was GREAT! Now we might see some mesoamerican or oriental figures. And, I love the skull on it! So, given the clearly Aztec/Incan/Mayan (not sure which yet) theme and the skull right beneath, I thought I would post some info on the "Crystal Skulls" (since they were more then just a fiction made up for the purposes of a plot for another Indian Jones movie). In fact, crystal skulls (which I can't tell if the skull is crystal or not on the cover, but it's a fun area to research and read about, so I am going with it, if for no other reason then I am bored today at work! lol!) are not uncommon. They range in color (from crystal clear to smoky or colored quartz) and in size but nearly all are thought to have originated from Mexico and South America. Most of the popular legends about the crystal skulls involve 13 of them - and suggest that bringing them all together will trigger some sort of world changing event. And then there is the link between the skulls and the end of the Mayan calendar...

And, the Calendar which is the central main featured icon is a drawing of the Aztec Calendar Stone currently found at the National Museum of Anthropology and History in Chapultepec Park, Mexico City.

Some info on the figures in the stone/calendar:

The face of the stone contains various mythological and astrological figures and signs in geometrical order. The outer border contains two serpents which represent time and the chief Aztec gods. Within this border are the rays emanating from the central figure which represents "Tonatiub," the Sun god. Again, according to legend, Tonatituh's heaven was the highest place attainable by those who had reached fulfillment here on earth. Surrounding the central sun figure are seven rings of varying dimensions. Above the face of the Sun god is an arrowhead symbolizing the wind. In the rectangles above and below the eagle's claws, at the right and left of the sun's face, are symbolic representations of the four elements, air, fire, water, and earth. An interesting legend surrounds these four symbols. It is called the legend "del Quinto Sol." The legend of the Fifth Sun.

More on the face (from another source, so info is slightly different) Additionally, The face of Tonatiuh is surrounded by the Nahui-Ollin or Four Movement and they represent the ways that the four previous suns (or worlds) ended - buy animals, then wind, then fire then flood. The Aztecs believed they were living in the fifth and last world.

And with this calendar, there are lots and lots of links to a large number of Atzec Gods depending on the date. So we have lots of possibilities for new characters!

And finally, bringing all of it together...
Beyond reflecting the calendar, the stone describes the colorful but violent Aztec cosmology. The glaring face of the Sun god at the center of the stone (see image above) is surrounded by a six-lobed symbol for Ollin, or "movement." Also reproduced at the head of this page, the Ollin symbol is the only one of the twenty day signs to represent an abstract concept as opposed to "Reed," "Wind," or "Water," for instance. It refers to the movement of the Sun through the sky but also to earthquakes.
The four squarish panels within the Ollin symbol depict the four cosmological epochs thought to have preceded the current era of the Aztec empire. During each of these, the gods struggled to nurture mankind on Earth only to be defeated by a catastrophe. The date and nature of each cosmic holocaust is given in the panels: 4 Jaguar, 4 Wind, 4 Rain, and 4 Water---the numeral 4 being a bad omen.
Here is a description of the cosmological panels on the Sun Stone from Skywatchers of Ancient Mexico by Anthony F. Aveni (1980, p. 143):
The concept of the cyclic destruction and rebirth of the world is a common theme in Mesoamerican religion and mythology. On the famous Aztec calendar stone, surrounding the face of the Sun God, about whom all periodic phenomena in nature take place, we see four rectangular panels symbolizing the destruction of the world on each of the previous epochs through which it has passed. In the most remote epoch (upper right), giants who inhabited the earth were attacked and devoured by jaguars. At the upper left, the god of wind symbolizes the hurricanes that carried away the people of the second epoch. The third cosmogonic epoch, symbolized the god of fire-rain at the lower left, was destroyed by lava and fire in a great volcanic eruption. The few survivors were those who were able to transform themselves into birds. Storms and torrential rains epitomized by the water god ending the fourth epoch (lower right panel) caused men to be changed into fishes. In the present, or fifth, epoch destruction by earthquake is said to await us.
The fifth, and current, cosmological era began with the self-immolation of the god Nanhuatzin on behalf of mankind and his reappearance in the sky as the Sun god. Four small circles at the corners of the large Ollin symbol give the date 4 Ollin on which the transformed god, now the "Fifth Sun," began moving through the sky. But the date also predicts the earthquake catastrophe that will end the fifth cosmic epoch.
The cosmic cycles of birth and destruction were identified with periods lasting 13 "baktuns" in the remarkable Maya "Long Count" calendrical system. A baktun is 20x18x20x20 days long, or 144,000 days. A cosmic cycle of 13 baktuns is therefore slightly over 5100 years. Based on the best evidence for its starting date, the current, "fifth," epoch will end in December 2012. That is only three years from now---but it is over 1100 years since the collapse of the Maya empire.

I find in interesting that the skull on the bottom replaces the snakes facing each other... so much to research with this new cover!!

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 14 09 7:34 PM

Mr. Scott has been posting a bunch of aztec names on his twitter

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#15 [url]

Aug 14 09 7:35 PM

QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ August 14, 2009 07:11 pm)
My first thought upon seeing the cover was GREAT! Now we might see some mesoamerican or oriental figures. And, I love the skull on it! So, given the clearly Aztec/Incan/Mayan (not sure which yet) theme and the skull right beneath, I thought I would post some info on the "Crystal Skulls" (since they were more then just a fiction made up for the purposes of a plot for another Indian Jones movie). In fact, crystal skulls (which I can't tell if the skull is crystal or not on the cover, but it's a fun area to research and read about, so I am going with it, if for no other reason then I am bored today at work! lol!) are not uncommon. They range in color (from crystal clear to smoky or colored quartz) and in size but nearly all are thought to have originated from Mexico and South America. Most of the popular legends about the crystal skulls involve 13 of them - and suggest that bringing them all together will trigger some sort of world changing event. And then there is the link between the skulls and the end of the Mayan calendar...

And, the Calendar which is the central main featured icon is a drawing of the Aztec Calendar Stone currently found at the National Museum of Anthropology and History in Chapultepec Park, Mexico City.

Some info on the figures in the stone/calendar:
The face of the stone contains various mythological and astrological figures and signs in geometrical order. The outer border contains two serpents which represent time and the chief Aztec gods. Within this border are the rays emanating from the central figure which represents "Tonatiub," the Sun god. Again, according to legend, Tonatituh's heaven was the highest place attainable by those who had reached fulfillment here on earth. Surrounding the central sun figure are seven rings of varying dimensions. Above the face of the Sun god is an arrowhead symbolizing the wind. In the rectangles above and below the eagle's claws, at the right and left of the sun's face, are symbolic representations of the four elements, air, fire, water, and earth. An interesting legend surrounds these four symbols. It is called the legend "del Quinto Sol." The legend of the Fifth Sun.

More on the face (from another source, so info is slightly different) Additionally, The face of Tonatiuh is surrounded by the Nahui-Ollin or Four Movement and they represent the ways that the four previous suns (or worlds) ended - buy animals, then wind, then fire then flood. The Aztecs believed they were living in the fifth and last world.

And with this calendar, there are lots and lots of links to a large number of Atzec Gods depending on the date. So we have lots of possibilities for new characters!

And finally, bringing all of it together...
Beyond reflecting the calendar, the stone describes the colorful but violent Aztec cosmology. The glaring face of the Sun god at the center of the stone (see image above) is surrounded by a six-lobed symbol for Ollin, or "movement." Also reproduced at the head of this page, the Ollin symbol is the only one of the twenty day signs to represent an abstract concept as opposed to "Reed," "Wind," or "Water," for instance. It refers to the movement of the Sun through the sky but also to earthquakes.
The four squarish panels within the Ollin symbol depict the four cosmological epochs thought to have preceded the current era of the Aztec empire. During each of these, the gods struggled to nurture mankind on Earth only to be defeated by a catastrophe. The date and nature of each cosmic holocaust is given in the panels: 4 Jaguar, 4 Wind, 4 Rain, and 4 Water---the numeral 4 being a bad omen.
Here is a description of the cosmological panels on the Sun Stone from Skywatchers of Ancient Mexico by Anthony F. Aveni (1980, p. 143):
The concept of the cyclic destruction and rebirth of the world is a common theme in Mesoamerican religion and mythology. On the famous Aztec calendar stone, surrounding the face of the Sun God, about whom all periodic phenomena in nature take place, we see four rectangular panels symbolizing the destruction of the world on each of the previous epochs through which it has passed. In the most remote epoch (upper right), giants who inhabited the earth were attacked and devoured by jaguars. At the upper left, the god of wind symbolizes the hurricanes that carried away the people of the second epoch. The third cosmogonic epoch, symbolized the god of fire-rain at the lower left, was destroyed by lava and fire in a great volcanic eruption. The few survivors were those who were able to transform themselves into birds. Storms and torrential rains epitomized by the water god ending the fourth epoch (lower right panel) caused men to be changed into fishes. In the present, or fifth, epoch destruction by earthquake is said to await us.
The fifth, and current, cosmological era began with the self-immolation of the god Nanhuatzin on behalf of mankind and his reappearance in the sky as the Sun god. Four small circles at the corners of the large Ollin symbol give the date 4 Ollin on which the transformed god, now the "Fifth Sun," began moving through the sky. But the date also predicts the earthquake catastrophe that will end the fifth cosmic epoch.
The cosmic cycles of birth and destruction were identified with periods lasting 13 "baktuns" in the remarkable Maya "Long Count" calendrical system. A baktun is 20x18x20x20 days long, or 144,000 days. A cosmic cycle of 13 baktuns is therefore slightly over 5100 years. Based on the best evidence for its starting date, the current, "fifth," epoch will end in December 2012. That is only three years from now---but it is over 1100 years since the collapse of the Maya empire.

I find in interesting that the skull on the bottom replaces the snakes facing each other... so much to research with this new cover!!
Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 14 09 7:42 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ August 14, 2009 11:35 am)

Let me confirm that it is a crystal skull.

Michael

flamelssecret/hyper_.gif I knew it. but which one? there are five or six discovered and there are supposed to be twelve if my memory serves me.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#17 [url]

Aug 14 09 9:20 PM

QUOTE (aquose @ August 14, 2009 02:42 pm)
QUOTE (Michael Scott @ August 14, 2009 11:35 am)

Let me confirm that it is a crystal skull.

Michael

flamelssecret/hyper_.gif I knew it. but which one? there are five or six discovered and there are supposed to be twelve if my memory serves me.

There are a bunch of sites that have information on all the known - and legitimate - crystal skulls.

And Yippee!!! Thanks Michael for confirming that it's a crystal skull... That opens so many doors to so much interesting information!

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 15 09 7:42 PM

I compared the alchemical symbols around the edge of the cover to previous covers...there doesn't appear to be any pattern between this cover and the Sorceress cover. But, in each cover, it appears that the symbols are broken up into four sections. The symbols in the Necromancer sections are the same as the Alchemyst and the Magician, though they may not be in the same order.

user posted image
"Be who you are, what you were, what they see. From eternity's view, tell me which one is me." -Epiphany, TSO
Aura color: GOLD..........Scent: Burning matches

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 15 09 10:39 PM

ok this might sound crazy but at the bottom of the book there's always a item at mid bottom and if there are more then just the codex needed for the final summoning so maybe those are the items? flamelssecret/idk.gif

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 15 09 10:43 PM

QUOTE (aquose @ August 15, 2009 10:39 pm)
ok this might sound crazy but at the bottom of the book there's always a item at mid bottom and if there are more then just the codex needed for the final summoning so maybe those are the items? flamelssecret/idk.gif

That is a most epic idea. I could definately see that as a possibility!

user posted image
"Be who you are, what you were, what they see. From eternity's view, tell me which one is me." -Epiphany, TSO
Aura color: GOLD..........Scent: Burning matches

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help