Remove this ad

#121 [url]

Feb 2 11 5:35 AM

QUOTE (Nurmengard @ February 01, 2011 02:17 pm)
Maybe Bastet will make an appearance in The Warlock. With all the Egyptian theme scattered throughout the cover.. A family history of Bastet, Horus, Zephaniah, Osiris and Isis might be uncovered... Just about time..

yes. i also want to see the relationships of the Elders. i have to admit their family tree is quite intriguing!

Aura Scent: Lemongrass
Aura Color: Lime Green

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#122 [url]

Feb 17 11 11:57 PM

Bastet was originallly viewed as the protector goddess of Lower Egypt. As protector, she was seen as defender of the pharaoh, and consequently of the later chief male deity, Ra, who was also a solar deity, gaining her the titles Lady of Flame and Eye of Ra. Bast was a goddess of the sun throughout most of Ancient Egyptian history, but later when she was changed into a cat goddess rather than a lioness, she was changed to a goddess of the moon by Greeks occupying Ancient Egypt toward the end of its civilization. In Greek mythology, Bast also is known as Ailuros.As the fierce lion god Maahes of Nubia later became part of Egyptian mythology, during the time of the New Kingdom, Bastet was held to be the daughter of Amun Ra, a newly ascending deity in the Egyptian pantheon during that late dynasty. Bastet became identified as his mother in the Lower Egypt, near the delta. Similarly the fierce lioness war goddess Sekhmet, became identified as the mother of Maashes in the Upper Egypt.Wadjet-Bast, with a lioness head of Bast, the solar disk, and the cobra that represents WadjetAs divine mother, and more especially as protector, for Lower Egypt, Bastet became strongly associated with Wadjet, the patron goddess of Lower Egypt. She eventually became Wadjet-Bast, paralleling the similar pair of patron (Nekhbet) and lioness protector (Sekhmet) for Upper Egypt.Since Bastet literally meant, (female) of the ointment jar,when Anubis became the god of embalming, Bast, as goddess of ointment, came to be regarded as his wife. Later the Greeks viewed Bastet as the sister of Horus, whom they identified as Apollo (Artemis' brother), and consequently, the daughter of the later emerging deities, Isis and Ra.

Quote    Reply   

#123 [url]

Feb 18 11 8:16 PM

QUOTE (eabrea @ February 02, 2011 05:35 am)
QUOTE (Nurmengard @ February 01, 2011 02:17 pm)
Maybe Bastet will make an appearance in The Warlock. With all the Egyptian theme scattered throughout the cover.. A family history of Bastet, Horus, Zephaniah, Osiris and Isis might be uncovered... Just about time..

yes. i also want to see the relationships of the Elders. i have to admit their family tree is quite intriguing!

A family tree? That'll be impossible, since they've got soooo many different names and different myths. You'll start with Mars, add on all Roman relationships, then remember he's Horus as well and add in Egyptian relationships, then he's Nargil in Babylonian, probably Tyr in Norse, etc. etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. Then add all the rest. Anyone trying to do that has a big job ahead of them.

Aura: Deep Red
Scent: Smouldering Parchment
Magics: Fire and Air
The promise given was a necessity of the past, the word broken is a necessity of the present.

Quote    Reply   

#124 [url]

Feb 20 11 8:44 AM

Mars and Bastet are siblings. The Witch of Endor is the wife of Mars. That's still a family tree, however small it is... I hope the family tree will get bigger as we read The Warlock.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#125 [url]

Feb 20 11 4:27 PM

QUOTE (Nurmengard @ February 20, 2011 03:44 am)
Mars and Bastet are siblings. The Witch of Endor is the wife of Mars. That's still a family tree, however small it is... I hope the family tree will get bigger as we read The Warlock.

You forgot to add Prometheus as Zephaniah's bother, and Scatach and Aofie as both nieces/granddaughters =)

user posted image
Don't you know who I am? I'm the one who have cheated death!

Aura Color:Amarant
Aura Scent:Cinnamon

Quote    Reply   

#126 [url]

Feb 23 11 1:16 PM

Well it makes it easier if you're only doing the ones mentioned I thought you we planning to do all of them! But we're getting a bit flamelssecret/OFF T SMILEY.gif

Aura: Deep Red
Scent: Smouldering Parchment
Magics: Fire and Air
The promise given was a necessity of the past, the word broken is a necessity of the present.

Quote    Reply   

#127 [url]

Feb 26 11 7:17 PM

I think Dee is going to kill Bastet before the end of the series.
We know he's planning to, and as long as he isn't killed first, I think she will die.

user posted image
Aura color: Blue-Gray,
Aura scent: Pine,
Practices Water and Air magics.

Some books are to be tasted; others to be swallowed; and some few to be chewed and digested.~Francis Bacon

Quote    Reply   

#128 [url]

Feb 26 11 11:08 PM

I dont know...I don't think she will die. Bastet was once known as Hathor who is the goddess of love in Egyptian Mythology. I think she has a good side to her that might come through near the end. Perhaps someone will tame her wild feline nature

so if she was Hathor then she could also be compared to Aphrodite and Venus in Greek and Roman Mythology.

Quote    Reply   

SOTINF

Apprentice

#129 [url]

Feb 26 11 11:28 PM

But she's also a Dark Elder, if she was any sort of love goddess I'd guess she'd be written as a goddess of vengeful love or something similar.

Aura: Pure White
Aura Scent: Freshly Brewed Coffee
Elements: Earth and Fire
Magic: Sorcery and Necromancy

Quote    Reply   

#130 [url]

Feb 26 11 11:38 PM

actually she was...as Sekhmet she was avenging Ra.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#131 [url]

Feb 27 11 1:57 AM

QUOTE (Mandragora @ February 26, 2011 05:38 pm)
actually she was...as Sekhmet she was avenging Ra.

I agree she was sekhmet (as this is mentioned in the alchemyst) but i dont think bastet was ever hathor, i think they are different goddess in egyptian myth.

Quote    Reply   

SOTINF

Apprentice

#132 [url]

Feb 27 11 2:13 AM

I thought Hathor was the half-hippo fertility goddess...

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#133 [url]

Feb 27 11 2:31 AM

QUOTE (SOTINF @ February 26, 2011 08:13 pm)
I thought Hathor was the half-hippo fertility goddess...

hathor is part cow which is another reason i dont think she is the same as bastet as bastet is a cat goddess.

Quote    Reply   

#134 [url]

Feb 27 11 3:26 AM

Sekhmet and Hathor were two different sides of the same goddess.
When Sekhmet was eating all the humans on earth, some priests gave her blood-colored beer to drink, which made her fall asleep. When she woke up, she was Hathor, the much more peaceful Cow-Goddess.

user posted image
Aura color: Blue-Gray,
Aura scent: Pine,
Practices Water and Air magics.

Some books are to be tasted; others to be swallowed; and some few to be chewed and digested.~Francis Bacon

Quote    Reply   

#135 [url]

Feb 27 11 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Archon14 @ February 27, 2011 03:26 am)
Sekhmet and Hathor were two different sides of the same goddess.
When Sekhmet was eating all the humans on earth, some priests gave her blood-colored beer to drink, which made her fall asleep. When she woke up, she was Hathor, the much more peaceful Cow-Goddess.

exactly. And in some other myths she was Hathor then Sekhmet. Hathor is also linked to Isis briefly. I would like to think Bastet isn't pure evil but only time will tell and hopefully we will get to see if she ever was Hathor.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#137 [url]

Jun 2 11 10:16 AM

This is a flamelssecret/spoilerwarning-2.gif all posts in this thread may contain spoilers from The Warlock.

If you have not read The Warlock and do not wish to see spoilers then you should leave this thread now as we have given you clear warning that this thread will contain spoilers.

Quote    Reply   

Elycia

Sorcerer

#138 [url]

Jun 2 11 4:34 PM

in the other books she was in, it seemed like(to me) she wasn't very high up in the hierarchy of dark elders, but here she's like a queen, I think something will happen in The Enchantress that makes her lose that statues

user posted image
Aura:White
Scent:Rosemary
Mistress of Water, Air and Earth

Quote    Reply   

SOTINF

Apprentice

#139 [url]

Jun 2 11 4:38 PM

I think she's a Great Elder.

Edit: Never mind, she is a First Generation Elder. Which means, if Atens's Dad is indicative, she had a Great Elder parent.

Quote    Reply   

Elena

Immortal

#140 [url]

Jun 2 11 4:42 PM

QUOTE (Elycia @ June 02, 2011 06:34 pm)
in the other books she was in, it seemed like(to me) she wasn't very high up in the hierarchy of dark elders, but here she's like a queen, I think something will happen in The Enchantress that makes her lose that statues

It was mentioned in The Sorceress that she was one of the rulers of Danu Talis.

QUOTE (The Sorceress @ page 179)
Bastet was a First Generation Elder and one of the original rulers of Danu Talis.

As for what happens after the fall of Danu Talis- the rest of the quote says it:

QUOTE (The Sorceress @ page 179)
After the sinking of the island, she had been worshiped for generations in Egypt, and countries and peoples from the Incas to
the Chinese honored cats in memory of the time she had walked the ancient humani world.

user posted image
Pottermore: GoldAccio87 | Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help