Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#41 [url]

Nov 20 08 2:47 PM

Dagon, is a mythical creature, and features in the Catholic Encyclopaedia, the Bible..and a few other lores.

QUOTE (The Catholic Encyclopaedia)
Dagon

A Philistine deity. It is commonly admitted that the name Dagon is a diminutive form, hence a term of endearment, derived from the Semitic root dag, and means, accordingly, "little fish". The name, therefore, indicates a fish-shaped god. This the Bible also suggests when speaking of the Dagon worshipped in the temple of Azotus (1 Samuel 5:1-7): he had face and hands and a portion of his body resembled that of a fish, in accordance with the most probable interpretation of "the stump of Dagon" (verse 5).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#42 [url]

Nov 20 08 2:48 PM

QUOTE (Godsryche @ November 20, 2008 02:37 pm)
QUOTE (baksh @ November 20, 2008 10:34 am)
QUOTE (Godsryche @ November 20, 2008 02:28 pm)
QUOTE (baksh @ November 20, 2008 10:23 am)
QUOTE (Andrew Quinn @ November 20, 2008 02:14 pm)
Found the cover!

It's the original cover for Mr. Scott's book
Magician's Law: Tales of the Bard on Michael Scott's Webpage

wow, thanks, so do you think the hookhanded man in the series is this one? but who is he in this book, paedur the bard, or mannam, Lord of the Dead?

Remember, Michael has said that all the people in this book series are are either from real history or mythology.

If both of those characters are just fictional characters, even though they are from one of his own books, they will not be appearing in this series.

well, they can because he can present fictional characters, and because history has no solid proof of flamel meeting a hook-handed man, so maybe we can assume, that he can bring in any fictional characters....and remember josh and sophie are fictional....

Michael has said numerous times on this board that other than Sophie and Josh (and their parents/other minor characters) all the other characters will be from mythology or history.

There's no record of an ancient race of mermaids whose final surviving member worked for Machiavelli for hundreds of years either.

I am astonished that anyone has (re)discovered the Bard series - that goes back a long way!

Yes, the character of Paedur the Bard has a hook in place of his left hand.

Let me just address again the issue of the characters. All of the major characters have appeared in either history or mythology. That's the rule I've made for myself. So, for example, mermaids are fair game, and so too is Dagon. Both have a mythological existence. Machiavelli, Dee, Flamel and Co are historical.

The twins are fictional, but they are archetypes. And the concept of twins is universal to every mythology.

And finally, some really interesting and informed speculation in these forums, and some excellent research too!

Michael

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Nov 20 08 2:57 PM

How does the symbolon the magician's cover in the center, that is the crescent moon, relate to the story in the book,

And the second question, which has been more of a problem for me to understand is, why are nicholas and perenelle ageing? Well, if we see in the Alchemyst, josh decribes flamel by saying that he has been with him for a few weeks now(sorry for any wrong info, but you'll get the gist of it) and says that he had not even looked a day older than forty, and we learn that he had made the elixir a couple of days back, and it cold be made only after a cycle of the moon, and that he had started ageing, but shouldn't that happen after the month has passed? Otherwise he would have aged after taking the elixir everyday until the elixir was made again, by which time he might've gone beyond physical ability of making it? So shouldn't it have happened after a month of taking the elixir, not merely days after it?

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#44 [url]

Nov 22 08 11:47 PM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 20, 2008 03:57 pm)

And the second question, which has been more of a problem for me to understand is, why are nicholas and perenelle ageing? Well, if we see in the Alchemyst, josh decribes flamel by saying that he has been with him for a few weeks now(sorry for any wrong info, but you'll get the gist of it) and says that he had not even looked a day older than forty, and we learn that he had made the elixir a couple of days back, and it cold be made only after a cycle of the moon, and that he had started ageing, but shouldn't that happen after the month has passed? Otherwise he would have aged after taking the elixir everyday until the elixir was made again, by which time he might've gone beyond physical ability of making it? So shouldn't it have happened after a month of taking the elixir, not merely days after it?

I have a quote that can help you with your question on the ageing..
QUOTE (The Alchemyst)
"Without the immortality elixir, she and Nicholas would age
at the rate of a year a day. They had less than a month left before they
succumbed to old very old age."

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Nov 25 08 12:13 AM

this may have been answered already but its been bugging me for a while now and i really need to know

what is the difference between being a magician, sorcerer/sorceress, enchanter/enchantress, wizard, alchemyst, and necromancer?
and could you give hints to what the magic of water and earth can do?

Aura:Indigo
Scent:Ozone
"He wouldn't kill us would he?"
"No, no he wouldn't...there is much worse he could do."

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#46 [url]

Nov 25 08 1:46 PM

QUOTE (Godsryche @ November 25, 2008 01:07 pm)
QUOTE (baksh @ November 25, 2008 08:46 am)
QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ November 24, 2008 07:33 pm)
I think I may have figured out the issue here.  Here are some relevant quotes:
QUOTE (The Alchemyst)
The immortality spell is breaking down. Perenelle and I will begin to age a year for every day we go without the formulation for immortality. We will be dead by the end of the month.

And
QUOTE (The Alchemyst)
Without the Book, Perenelle and I will age. The formulation for immortality must be brewed afresh every month. Within the full cycle of the moon, we will wither and die.

QUOTE (The Magician)
Nicholas and Perenelle had brewed the most recent batch of the potion at midnight the past Sunday, just under a week ago. He pressed the left-hand button on the watch and called up the stopwatch function: 116 hours and 21 minutes had passed. Another press of the button brought up the time remaining: 603 hours, 39 minutes, or about 25 days. As he watched, another minute ticked away: 38 minutes. He and Perenelle would age and weaken, and of course, every time either of them used their powers, that would only quicken the onset of old age. If he did not retrieve the Book before the end of the month and create a new batch of the potion, then they would both rapidly age and die.

Then:
QUOTE (The Magician)
With the passing of years, they had discovered that the potion was timed to a lunar cycle and lasted roughly thirty days. Over the course of the month, they would age slowly, almost imperceptibly, but once they drank the potion, the effects of the aging process would quickly reverse hair would darken, wrinkles soften and disappear, aching joints and stiff muscles become supple again, eyesight and hearing sharpen.
- I added the emphasis to point out what I think solves the debate...

My question is though - if St Germain found his own formula that didn't need to change every month, why not just share some with Nicholas and Perry (give extra to Nicholas so he can give it to Perry) and that would possibly give them more time and wouldn't age them so they would be at full strength throughout the chase? In the Magician Sophie tells Josh (when telling what the Witch knew of St Germain) that
he claimed he'd discovered the secret of immortality when he was studying with Nicholas Flamel. She shook her head quickly. But I don t think the Witch quite believed that. He told her that while traveling in Tibet he had perfected a
formula for immortality that didn t need to be renewed each month. But when she asked him for a copy, he told her he'd lost it.
And I think there were other places where it was mentioned that he owed no allegiance because he discovered the secret on his own. So why note share with Nick and Perry?

well, thanks for those quotse, but still, it hasn't answered my question, that why hadn't this happened everytime they hadn't taken the elixir, and it is said here(thanks to you now i could read these parts) that they aged very slowly which is said in your bolded lines, so why isn't it happening now, why are they aging so quickly, and if i remember correctly, josh was with him for some time now, and he never saw any differences in Nicholas' age, never saw any wrinkles, and never saw any of them disappearing, i mean he would have noticed if their age decreased every month by that considerable amount....and as for your question, you only quoted that he said he lost its copy, but, that is the only part where i am a bit confused about him, and well, i think he lied to the witch, as he knew that she didn't like him....

It did happen every time, only it was done "imperceptibly" as it says in the quote.

The reason it is so drastic now is because they are using so much of their powers that they are weakening even faster than they normally would.

Godsryche is perfectly correct. It has been mentioned several times in the text that the Flamels age more rapidly every time they use their power.

Normally, they would age very slowly over the course of the month and then be able to repair the effects of aging when they drank the new formula.

Remember, they have used more power over the past four days than they have used in the previous decades.

Michael

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#48 [url]

Nov 25 08 2:00 PM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 25, 2008 01:49 pm)
so that means when he is not using his powers, he will not age that quiuckly? And would it have been the same if they had done so otherwie also? i mean when the situation wasn't this....

Yes, when they do not use their powers, they do not age so quickly. They are numerous mentions in the text to that effect. If they are hiding out in San Francisco, they would have no reason to use their auras.

But now that Dee is back...

Michael

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#49 [url]

Nov 25 08 4:22 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ November 18, 2008 11:14 am)
Ok so if they can choose their own scent, does that mean they choose their own aura color as well?! What determines aura colors?

So my question got lost in the sea of other questions... Anyone have a clue? flamelssecret/confused0058.gif

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#50 [url]

Nov 25 08 4:54 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ November 25, 2008 04:22 pm)
QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ November 18, 2008 11:14 am)
Ok so if they can choose their own scent, does that mean they choose their own aura color as well?! What determines aura colors?

So my question got lost in the sea of other questions... Anyone have a clue? flamelssecret/confused0058.gif

No aura colors are fixed and cannot be changed -you have no control over your colors. (Otherwise people would choose to have gold or silver or the rare black and white auras. There will be an explanation, but not for a couple more books.

However, aura colors can be disguised - as Perenelle does.

Michael

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#51 [url]

Nov 25 08 4:59 PM

Interesting.... but what determines aura colors? Is it personality/character of the person or does it go hand in hand with the scent? Sort of like Nicholas is green for mint, Dee is yellow for rotten egg and St-Germain is red for burned leaves...?

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Nov 26 08 1:08 AM

With water magic can you control ice and snow too? also in one of the books its said that either air or fire magic can make water into mist...isnt mist a form of water so couldnt the person just control the mist then?

Aura:Indigo
Scent:Ozone
"He wouldn't kill us would he?"
"No, no he wouldn't...there is much worse he could do."

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Nov 26 08 4:42 PM

well, that reminds me of another question, that there are four swords linked to the four elements namely water fire earth and air, and we know excalibur is sword of ice, and is one of the elemental swords,so should we count it as water sword?[ or are there more swords than four like ice, light, and as maybe someone suggested time?

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#57 [url]

Nov 26 08 8:01 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ November 26, 2008 03:58 pm)
QUOTE (LunaAquaVirgo @ November 26, 2008 06:19 pm)
Is there a reason why so many of the characters have gray eyes?

Very nicely spotted!

The two rarest human eyes colors are...?

Michael

Red and Black. Or if you don't consider "red" because that's an albino thing and is related to other causes other than just eye color, then Green is also very rare.

Gray is actually one of the more common eye colors.

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#58 [url]

Nov 26 08 8:05 PM

hmm hard to say... i did a search and found of couple. Some say gray, pink (for albinos), some talk of red, black, white and even orange! But then, which is true?!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...28144146AAG47ko

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#59 [url]

Nov 27 08 3:42 AM

I think that if you exclude genetic anomalies and disease then the two that are left as the naturally occurring rarest eye colours would be grey and green.

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#60 [url]

Nov 27 08 3:21 PM

QUOTE (Zephfire @ November 27, 2008 03:42 am)
I think that if you exclude genetic anomalies and disease then the two that are left as the naturally occurring rarest eye colours would be grey and green.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help