Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#21 [url]

Nov 10 08 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Books4lyf @ October 27, 2008 06:38 am)
I have a theory that the color of each book cover represents a person's aura? I'm guessing, since the extent of Perenelle's powers haven't been confirmed. i'd like to ask Michael, is my theory correct?
If  "The Sorceress" in the title refers to Perenelle, Will her aura's color be purplish-blue?
Also, is the spider on the cover of the sorceress  Aerop-Enap?
And does Poseidon make an appearance in the 3rd book?

I understand, if these questions are unanswerable, but could you give me a few hints? I'm eager to find out so much

Yes, either the aura or the type of magic. Book 2 is red to represent fire magic.
Cannot talk about Perenelle's aura just yet. What is interesting however is that characters get to choose their own smell.
Well spotted, yes.
Cannot say, though the trident on the cover is a clue that something fishy is happening. And of course, Poseidon is such an interesting character. He had two sons (twins naturally), Gadeirus and Atlas (after whom Atlantis and the Atlas Mountains (where some of the Atlantean survivors are reputed to have landed).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#22 [url]

Nov 10 08 12:50 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ October 31, 2008 10:48 pm)
I have a bit of a weird question. Do you believe in any of the stuff in the books, such as the elders or auras?

Well auras have been photographed and, as someone else said on the forum, we are all electrical beings. I specialize in myth and legend and, it is interesting to see that the further back we go, we find that the stories of the gods and goddesses are often the stories of real people.

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#23 [url]

Nov 10 08 12:53 AM

QUOTE (dreamingofedward @ November 06, 2008 05:15 am)
I would like to know if he has any input on the cover art.  I know that sometimes authors do and sometimes they don't.  I am curious which one is the case here.

Yes, with this series I do. (Usually, by the way, the author had little or no say.) The original design is by Michael Wagner. All of the icons on the cover, either in the corners or as part of the overall design relate, in some way to the story, and give clues to the characters. In fact, with book 3, we had to tweak the cover a little to remove something which was a little too revealling. If someone reminds me, when the book is published, I'll post the original cover which I have. The series has now sold in 35 countries. I think 32 of those have chosen to go with the original USA covers, which really is a great tribute to the artist. Normally, each country would want to have their own cover. There are two minor exceptions. In England, when the paperback of the Alchemyst came out, the color scheme was changed to blue (which is the same as the German hardback.) It looks fabulous, but messes up the colour pallet for the rest of the series. I've just see the German hardback of The Magician, and they have gone for an all-over red cover, which looks great. I'm in the process of posting the covers on my website (www.dillonscott.com), as they come available.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Nov 10 08 2:39 AM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ November 10, 2008 12:50 am)
QUOTE (Vinterulv @ October 31, 2008 10:48 pm)
I have a bit of a weird question. Do you believe in any of the stuff in the books, such as the elders or auras?

Well auras have been photographed and, as someone else said on the forum, we are all electrical beings. I specialize in myth and legend and, it is interesting to see that the further back we go, we find that the stories of the gods and goddesses are often the stories of real people.

I think mythology holds some truth in it. So many of the stories not the people but the stories hold kind of a hidden history that we are only starting to discover. The two most famous things to appear was the labyrinth from the greek legend of the minatour and finding the real city of Troy. I also have another question.

Are we going to meet any female immortal humans that are bad, like on Dee's side?

I also want to say I agree with John.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 11 08 6:00 PM

well hi, i am a fan of this series....i live in india and since first reading about the book on harry potter fansite(actually it was advertisement) i was looking for it everywhere....i finally got the books in england in september, and i loved them....i would like to ask if the books are going to be available here in india....and my next question is does anybody know the length of the book? how many pages?

thanks i would appreciate if anybody answers....

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#27 [url]

Nov 12 08 2:17 AM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 11, 2008 07:00 pm)
well hi, i am a fan of this series....i live in india and since first reading about the book on harry potter fansite(actually it was advertisement) i was looking for it everywhere....i finally got the books in england in september, and i loved them....i would like to ask if the books are going to be available here in india....and my next question is does anybody know the length of the book? how many pages?

Welcome Baksh, we're happy to see new members, please take the time to say Hi to everyone and tell us more about yourself in the "Introduce yourself" threads!
I'm not sure if this helps, i'll certainly attempt to get you a more definitive answer, but the books are available in Indonesia, they are published by Penerbit Matahati.
Which book do you want a page count for and in what language?

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#29 [url]

Nov 12 08 2:46 PM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 12, 2008 10:36 am)
well hi zephire, thanks for the welcome, and i was asking for the length of the third book, if anybody knows, and indonesia is not very near to india, despite the bit of similarity in the names........and i've read the first two books they're great...........thanks to mugglenet(the hp fansite i refered to earlier), i got to know about the series....

You're welcome Baksh, I don't have an answer for you just yet, but the Sorceress is now in it's final polish so we should have an answer for you soon!

QUOTE (Hitmanjls @ November 12th 2008 04:44 am)

If it's not giving too much away... I'd like to know why Germain's sent is burnt leaves?

Good point..I am wondering something similar, since Michael has told us that they can pick their own scents, I wonder do they just pick a scent that they like, or do they have a particular significance?

We know that Dee's is brimstone, and that it is a scent he likes,
QUOTE ( The Alchemyst p.20)
  "I rather like the smell of brimstone. It is so . . . " He paused.  "So dramatic."

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 13 08 1:05 AM

I got a few new questions after spending almost 24 hours reading stuff on the real St. Germain and spending about an hour reading stuff on other characters.

What do you really believe about the real St. Germain?

Are we going to see any of this angel Uriel that the real Dee got so into?

Are we going to see one of St. Germain's like butlers that supposedly spent 500 years with him at a time?

Are we going to meet Edward Kelly at all since he was so involved with the real Dee?

Does Flamel speak Spanish?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#31 [url]

Nov 13 08 10:36 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 13, 2008 02:05 am)
I got a few new questions after spending almost 24 hours reading stuff on the real St. Germain and spending about an hour reading stuff on other characters.

What do you really believe about the real St. Germain?

Are we going to see any of this angel Uriel that the real Dee got so into?

Are we going to see one of St. Germain's like butlers that supposedly spent 500 years with him at a time?

Are we going to meet Edward Kelly at all since he was so involved with the real Dee?

That's a fair few questions in one hit there Alex, maybe just a couple at a time next time please?

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 13 08 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Vinterulv @ November 13, 2008 01:05 am)

He should be able to....the actual flamel went to search for a person who could help him translate the codex in spain because most jews went there, after they were banished from france, as a part of the codex was supposed to be written in ancient hebrew. He is supposed to find maestro canches, the person who helped translate a few of the pages that flamel had copied from the codex in or near spain, otherwise how would he have communicated. As for the flamel in the series, i suppose he is supposed to be able to speak most of the major languages of the world, which includes spanish....

And i wonder if Mr. Michael Scott has named the one-handed or hook-handed man, or whatever he is called, maestro(master) canches, because i think he has done a lot of research for the books, so surely he would have come across the name, and still he did not put it in the story of flamel in the end of the alchemyst? (thats another question for you Mr. Scott)

I have another question, that the decision, made by mars, to make dee josh's mentor hold any significance?

Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#33 [url]

Nov 14 08 2:19 PM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 13, 2008 07:24 am)
I have another question, that the decision, made by mars, to make dee josh's mentor hold any significance?

I am going to venture to answer that - since Michael told us in another post that:
QUOTE (Michael Scott @ November 09, 2008 08:44 pm)
Yes. As I've said elsewhere, nothing is this series is accidental. Because I was able to plot out each book right down to chapter level, I was able to weave clues and foreshadow lots of story elements.

And, we know what Mars said when making the choice:
QUOTE (The Magician)
Magician, he is yours, Mars said after a moments consideration.  I can read your intent and your motives clearly. You intend to use the boy to bring back the Elders; I have no doubt of that. But you , he added, his head swiveling to look at Machiavelli. I cannot read your aura; I do not know what you want. Perhaps because you have not yet decided.

I think when we look at these two pieces of information together, we can know, with a fair amount of certainty, that there is indeed significance to this decision. Now, what exactly that significance is remains to be seen.

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#34 [url]

Nov 16 08 4:55 AM

QUOTE (hitmanjls @ November 12, 2008 03:44 am)
If it's not giving too much away...  I'd like to know why Germain's sent is burnt leaves?

Here's a quote from Chapter 7 of book 2: "Everyone on the planet possessed an aura – the electrical field that surrounded the human body - and when that electrical field was focused and directed, it interacted with the users’ endorphin system and adrenal glands to produce a distinctive odour, unique to that person: a signature scent. Machiavelli took a final breath. He could almost taste the vanilla on the air, crisp, clear and pure: the scent of raw untrained power."
And we know Dee choose deliberately brimstone, and later, when St Germain is talking to Sophie about Joan odour he says: "And of course lavender. She loves lavender; it reminds her of her youth.” Which suggests that she deliberately picked that smell.
So, not all the good guys smell good and not all the bad guys smell bad. Remember also, smells change through the ages. What we think offensive or foul now, would have been commonplace only a couple of decades ago. In the days before refrigeration was the norm, the smell of sour milk was incredibly commonplace. Elizabethan streets stank of raw sewage and the court of the Sun King reeked of unwashed bodies. Michael

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#35 [url]

Nov 16 08 5:25 AM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 11, 2008 06:00 pm)

No Indian publisher has taken the rights yet, but publishers are taking
rights all the time. Icelandic and Bulgarian rights we only sold a couple
of weeks ago.

Its hard for me to say at the moment, since I'm still fiddling with it. It will certainly be no shorter than book one and no longer than book two (though its going to be closer to book 2's length.) Michael

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#36 [url]

Nov 16 08 4:19 PM

In regards to the person picking their magical scent, once that scent is chosen does the person have the ability to change that scent, or are they stuck with it?

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#37 [url]

Nov 18 08 1:23 AM

QUOTE (baksh @ November 13, 2008 11:24 am)

And i wonder if Mr. Michael Scott has named the one-handed or hook-handed man, or whatever he is called, maestro(master) canches, because i think he has done a lot of research for the books, so surely he would have come across the name, and still he did not put it in the story of flamel in the end of the alchemyst? (thats another question for you Mr. Scott)[/u]

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Nov 18 08 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ November 18, 2008 01:23 am)
QUOTE (baksh @ November 13, 2008 11:24 am)

And i wonder if Mr. Michael Scott has named the one-handed or hook-handed man, or whatever he is called, maestro(master) canches, because i think he has done a lot of research for the books, so surely he would have come across the name, and still he did not put it in the story of flamel in the end of the alchemyst? (thats another question for you Mr. Scott)[/u]

No, I've not named that character yet , but it is not the legendary physician Mestro Canches. A little research into one-handed mythological or historical characters might be illuminating. Michael

I'm pretty sure that Mr Scott used a hook-handed man in one of his earlier series. I remember looking for his books on-line a few months ago and I think I remember a cover with a guy with a hook-hand.

I will look again and see if I can find it.

Aura color: Tartan
Scent: Sure for Men

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#39 [url]

Nov 18 08 4:14 PM

Ok so if they can choose their own scent, does that mean they choose their own aura color as well?! What determines aura colors?

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help