Quantum Prophecy books, right in the middle of the Age of
Superhumans. Because "Conspiracy" won't be published until the
middle of next year I don't want to give too much away, but I will
say that it's a tremendously fun, exciting adventure that ties in
very neatly with the other books in the series but can be enjoyed on
its own. It features some great characters (including younger
versions of characters from the Quantum Prophecy series), some
laugh-out-loud jokes and one-liners, and the sort of action sequences
that just beg to be turned into a movie.

So that's what I'm reading; now let me know what you're reading now.

Michael

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#1 [url]

Jan 9 09 8:46 PM

I just finished City of Bones in the bus this morning on my way in to work. Its book one from the Mortal Instrument serie by Cassandra Clare. If you are fans of fiction novels then this one should be on your list to read. I was skeptic when i bought this book because i had read a few bad reviews on it. Turns out, i really liked it! You have your typical bad boy, Jace, that all girls will swoon over and the innocent little girl, Clary, discovering the true identity of her pass. Mixed in with shadowhunters, warlocks, vampires and demons of course.

The serie is comprised of 3 books, 3rd is due to come out in March. The plot story is very interesting and always leave you wanting to know more, in this case Clary's pass. She then meets Jace and fellow roomates who are no ordinary teenagers. Throughout the book, i was able to figure out a few plot twists but i was still left with some, one in particular that nearly had me fall off my chair!

Cassandra's writing is simple and easy to understand. She describes many dramatic moments and action scenes that would definitely be worth becoming a movie. She also includes humour and one-liners that make you giggle even when you rethink back on them.

When i wasnt reading the book, i was often thinking about the book and what might happen next. All and all, i think the book is definitely worth reading and i cant wait to read the next one!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

dreamingofedward

Next Generation Elder

#2 [url]

Jan 9 09 8:59 PM

While I haven't yet gotten to M. Carroll's books yet (and I am a BIG fan of the Mortal Instruments books that Bellus mentioned), I am reading a bunch of things right now. I tend to be reading at least 5 or 6 things at a time. But the 2 things that I think are worth mentioning that I am currently reading are "Inkheart" (I admit the previews for the movie made me go get it) and "There Be Dragons". Both already seem to have lots of action and interesting characters, fantasy and magic, travel to other worlds and mythological creatures, and all the stuff I love about fantasy/sci fi books!

Ohhhh... and what great news to hear that the Sorceress has been delivered! I can't wait to get my copy (I already pre-ordered it on Borders.com!!)

user posted image
Aura Color = Violet Magical Scent = Black Raspberry Favorite Element = Water

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#3 [url]

Jan 9 09 9:05 PM

Im currently rereading Eldest by Christopher Paolini (another random house author i believe) I am about 100 pages from the end of the book and when i finish im finally going to read the third book in the inheritance cycle Brsingr.

Quote    Reply   

Godsryche

Next Generation Elder

#4 [url]

Jan 9 09 9:54 PM

I am currently working my way through "The Man in the Iron Mask" by Alexandre Dumas.

(Hoping it's as good as "Count of Monte Cristo" and "Three Musketeers")

user posted image
I hear your hopes, I feel your dreams, and in the dark I hear your screams.

Aura: Blood Red
Scent: Freshly Struck Flint

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 9 09 11:02 PM

I'm reading two books, one is the magician, I've only had it three days as a gift so I'm more twoards the beggining, I dont think i need to review it since I wouldnt be here if i didnt like the series (pluz most of them have read it). (but it is inexplicably amazing)

The other is Troy. Its basically a fictitious novel about during the trojan war, adding in some more drama like plot lines. It concentrates on what is going on with the people inside the city as the war violently continues. For instance, how Andramache is feeling, or what Helen living with Paris is like. More than that, it takes it into the point of view of regulars, like Marpessa, a servant for Helen and Paris, along with her sister Xanthe, a servant of Andramache and Hector (though hes not home) who also tends to the wounded. There are a lot of other characters, Alastor, Charitomene, the Singer, Polyxena, Iason, and the gossips (the three have names but i tend to mix them up so i call them the gossips). Personally, though there's a lot to keep up with I'm finding it easy to follow. I'm about three quarters done and I really do love it.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#7 [url]

Jan 10 09 3:03 AM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ January 09, 2009 09:13 pm)
Right now, I'm about half way through my friend Michael Carroll's
next book, the marvellously named "Conspiracy of the Fifth King", a
prequel to his stunning Quantum Prophecy / New Heroes series.  The
eagle-eyed amongst you will note that Michael is thanked in both The
Alchemyst and The Magician (and the Sorceress too.)  He gets to read
the text before anyone else - even my editors!  (See if you can find
the character I named after him!)

I know that answer..Michael Carroll features in The Magician! He is the reporter at the Ojai Valley News that Nicholas (posing as Monsieur Montmorency) talks to about Dora and the explosion at the antiques shop.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 11 09 5:38 PM

QUOTE (Spacecadet @ January 09, 2009 09:05 pm)
Im currently rereading Eldest by Christopher Paolini (another random house author i believe) I am about 100 pages from the end of the book and when i finish im finally going to read the third book in the inheritance cycle Brsingr.

I LOVE the Inheritance books, there are going to be 4 books, because Christopher recently changed to Trilogy into a Cycle, Brisingr was my favorite so far, you should be looking forward to it, there are so many new ideas and events that connect to both the past and the future, I heard the fourth book its going to be called Empire.
I'm currently reading A Separate Peace for school, although it's an extra thing where we read and work on it independantly.
I'm also reading The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, for school.
Both are not my usual genre of books, but they're good nevertheless.
I just finished reading The Dragon Heir.
All great books.

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 11 09 6:27 PM

I've just finished Pride and Prejudice (again) but I love that book...it's like a hot bath or a cup of tea...and I'm going to start Sense and Sensibility a little later.

I got The Dark is Rising series for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to starting it. I'm in the middle of reading Invisible City and The 5 People You Meet in Heaven is next on my list of new books to start.

I agree with Michael though as far as YA fiction goes...I mostly read YA fiction because I read for escapism purposes. If I'm reading a book it means I'm taking time out from real life and so the last thing I want to do is read about anything remotely factual! I prefer legends and mythology based fiction as I like the grain-of-truth aspect but don't want to read about other people's jobs and relationships when I've got my own to be getting on with! The same with my taste in film and tv...If I'm doing it I'm not living my life, I'm 'escaping' it. That's why YA fiction appeals...it's full of possibility!

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 12 09 3:53 AM

This is a bit off-topic, but it's kinda funny...

Last night I had a dream that my brother came home with a copy of The Sorceress and he wouldn't let me near it! I was like promising him that I'd do his chores for a year if he let me read the book and still he wouldn't agree!

Then he sat by the fire reading it and when he finished each page he tore it out and threw it on the fire just to make sure that I couldn't get my hands on it! I was furious, but you know the way dreams are: for some reason I couldn't get close enough to him to grab the book!

What's even weirder is that we don't even HAVE a fireplace!

But back on topic: Michael, thanks for the heads-up on Michael Carroll's new book! I saw his name in the back of The Alchemyst and The Magician but I never made the connection with the author of the Quantum Prophecy books. I've read the first two books in the Quantum Prophecy series, and they're lots of fun. I never thought that anyone could do superhero stories without pictures, but these books work really well. The third one's coming out this year in May but I didn't even know about "Conspiracy of the Fifth King". It's not even mentioned on the Quantum Prophecy website! (Though now that I think about it, he HAS been very quiet lately - I should have guessed he was up to something!)

If "Conspiracy" is as good as you say, then that's definitely one for the "must get" list!

-- Andy

Aura color: Tartan
Scent: Sure for Men

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#11 [url]

Jan 12 09 8:35 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ January 11, 2009 06:27 pm)
I've just finished Pride and Prejudice (again) but I love that book...it's like a hot bath or a cup of tea...and I'm going to start Sense and Sensibility a little later.

I got The Dark is Rising series for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to starting it. I'm in the middle of reading Invisible City and The 5 People You Meet in Heaven is next on my list of new books to start.

I agree with Michael though as far as YA fiction goes...I mostly read YA fiction because I read for escapism purposes. If I'm reading a book it means I'm taking time out from real life and so the last thing I want to do is read about anything remotely factual! I prefer legends and mythology based fiction as I like the grain-of-truth aspect but don't want to read about other people's jobs and relationships when I've got my own to be getting on with! The same with my taste in film and tv...If I'm doing it I'm not living my life, I'm 'escaping' it. That's why YA fiction appeals...it's full of possibility!
Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#12 [url]

Jan 12 09 10:45 PM

So I've just finished Michael Carroll's Conspiracy - which is just fabulous. Got one of the best chase scenes I've read in a long time.

I'm about to start 1421 - the Year China Discovered the World by Gavin Menzies. (Hmmm, I wonder if that's a clue about what's coming?)
Michael

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 12 09 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ January 12, 2009 10:45 pm)
So I've just finished Michael Carroll's Conspiracy - which is just fabulous.  Got one of the best chase scenes I've read in a long time. 

I'm about to start 1421 - the Year China Discovered the World by Gavin Menzies.  (Hmmm, I wonder if that's a clue about what's coming?)
Michael

You are a terrible tease! Talk about "Come into my parlour..."!

I'm going to start The Dark is Rising tomorrow so if you don't mind i'll let you know what I think

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#14 [url]

Jan 12 09 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ January 12, 2009 10:49 pm)
QUOTE (Michael Scott @ January 12, 2009 10:45 pm)
So I've just finished Michael Carroll's Conspiracy - which is just fabulous.  Got one of the best chase scenes I've read in a long time. 

I'm about to start 1421 - the Year China Discovered the World by Gavin Menzies.  (Hmmm, I wonder if that's a clue about what's coming?)
Michael

You are a terrible tease! Talk about "Come into my parlour..."!

I'm going to start The Dark is Rising tomorrow so if you don't mind i'll let you know what I think
Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 14 09 10:22 PM

Like I said in the new members post.. I'm not a reader... Which is sometimes really annoying.. It can be so relaxing... flamelssecret/fire.gif

At the moment I'm re-reading the Alchemist. After what I've read here and in the magician, I want to understand the story more...

Since I hate reading and this book DOES make me read... Finally... I can relax! *thanks Michael:)*

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 17 09 10:12 AM

I just finished the magician, man the end was packed with action and I shouldn't have read the first chapter to the third book that was included at the end of the magician. I'm even more excited about the new book *sigh*

Now I'm onto Fermin by Sam Savage, It's very interesting. The writing style is different and the humor has had me a few times. Looking through the eyes of a very intellegent rat, very interesting indeed.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 17 09 4:55 PM

QUOTE (Myst @ January 17, 2009 10:12 am)
I just finished the magician, man the end was packed with action and I shouldn't have read the first chapter to the third book that was included at the end of the magician. I'm even more excited about the new book *sigh*

I agree, when I finished that the only thing going through my head was, "are you kidding me?!?! that's how it ends?!"

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 18 09 2:32 AM

I am awaiting the fifth book in my new favourite series called The House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast. I am also awaiting to buy The Magician and I currently finished re-reading When Irish Guys Are Smiling by Suzanne Supplee. I recommend The House of Night series to all vampyre fans. It rocks! (Sad trivia: a character dies on my birthday...)

I also just started reading The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black.

Godsryche: I am sorry if this was already answered but are the books you mentioned on January 09, 2009 @ 09:54 pm the books for the movies of those same names? Thanks in advance for your answer.

-VJ

"Depends on what it is of course. I don't eat the meat myself... I'm a vegetarian." Scatty answered. pg 135 The Alchemyst

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 18 09 3:45 PM

I just finished reading Sabriel by Garth Nix. It's pretty awesome .

Alec jabbed a finger toward him. "Mostly extinct," he said, his voice trembling with rage, "is NOT EXTINCT ENOUGH." - Alec in City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Aura colour: Sapphire blue
Scent: Moonflower

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help