Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Feb 9 09 2:52 PM

I just finished reading the following books in the past two weeks and I thought they were all very very good!!
By Richelle Mead
Vampire Academy
Frostbite
Shadow Kiss

By Melissa De La Cruz
Blue Bloods
Masquerade
(I still have to pick up the third book-Revelations)

By Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams
Tunnels
(I still have to pick up the sequel-Deeper)

And I just started reading "Paper Towns" by John Green this morning.

And also listening to The Alchemyst and The Magician audiobooks.
It's amazing that I can keep track of all the different story lines and characters

user posted image
Aura color:Bright Red/Dark Green
Aura scent: Chocolate

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Feb 9 09 9:22 PM

QUOTE (MidnightQ @ February 08, 2009 07:34 am)
QUOTE (Sam4B00ks @ February 01, 2009 03:23 pm)
never heard of it, ill have to check it out

If you manage to read it let me know what you think

Oh and they're by Alison Croggon.

ok
ill see if I can find them at the library (which i probably can)

Ní bhíonn saoi gan locht.
There's no wise man without fault

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Feb 10 09 12:28 AM

Argh...Looks like I'm gonna have to give up reading as a leisurely pursuit for a while. On top of the LoTR assignment I've now got to finish "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole {anyone read this?} and begin our new class work load on a second novel that won a Lit Pulitzer, Faulkner's "The Sound and The Fury"---that should take us right up to finals. *Sigh* And here I was looking forward to the new PC Cast/House of Night {Hunted} in March, and the new Jim Butcher's Dresden Files {Turn Coat} in April.

Nosce Te Ipsum/Know Thyself - One joy shatters a hundred griefs.
The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Feb 10 09 2:42 AM

... I need help again, evidently, I took a book that was a little to hard for me, but it's for ELA, and it's too late to change. I think I can figure out the vocab, but if anyone has read the Memoir, The Periodic Table by Primo Levi.
I need to know what to think, what's it really about, I think I'll understand it, if I know what the memory is...

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Feb 10 09 3:23 AM

Primo Levi was an Italian Jew who died a little more than 20 years ago. He was a survivor of WWII's Auschwitz and was also a chemist and a writer. Particular memories of his were triggered or he directly associated them to properties of specific elements. So, based on this, he took his chemistry background and a collection of twenty one specific memories {or 19 memories and 2 short stories he'd written pre-Auschwitz} and was to make parallels/associations/conclusions between his particular memoirs and the chemical periodic tables, thus making "anecdotal social commentary".
-----For instance: In Argon he draws an analogy between the nonreactivity of this inert gas and the refusal of his Jewish ancestors to assimilate into the Gentile majority of their native Italian Piedmont. Hydrogen is an anecdote about his boyhood experiments with this explosive gas. Vanadium recounts his unexpected encounter with a former official of Auschwitz, where Levi was imprisoned during World War II. Attacking the fascist myth of racial purity in Zinc, the author reveals his preference for the "boring metal" when it is in an active state of impurity. ~ {From Amazon review}

The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Feb 12 09 1:34 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ February 10, 2009 03:23 am)
Primo Levi was an Italian Jew who died a little more than 20 years ago.  He was a survivor of WWII's Auschwitz and was also a chemist and a writer.  Particular memories of his were triggered or he directly associated them to properties of specific elements.  So, based on this, he took his chemistry background and a collection of twenty one specific memories {or 19 memories and 2 short stories he'd written pre-Auschwitz} and was to make parallels/associations/conclusions between his particular memoirs and the chemical periodic tables, thus making "anecdotal social commentary". 
-----For instance:  In Argon he draws an analogy between the nonreactivity of this inert gas and the refusal of his Jewish ancestors to assimilate into the Gentile majority of their native Italian Piedmont.  Hydrogen is an anecdote about his boyhood experiments with this explosive gas.  Vanadium recounts his unexpected encounter with a former official of Auschwitz, where Levi was imprisoned during World War II. Attacking the fascist myth of racial purity in Zinc, the author reveals his preference for the "boring metal" when it is in an active state of impurity. ~ {From Amazon review}

Oh my gosh, thanks soo much, I understand the book now!

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Feb 12 09 1:53 AM

Okay well I am now reading well I should read the first book in the House of Night Series which was called Marked.

There are other books in the series but I haven't gotten to them yet because I don't have them yet.

After she is Marked, 16-year-old Zoey Redbird enters the House of Night and learns that she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is mis-using her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny— with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

This is a seriously good book! I mean I thought I wouldn't like any other vampire book other than Twilight but man was I wrong. Anybody who likes Twilight would like this book. Of course there are thing to debate on which thing go better like glittering in the sunlight, but otherwise this is an awesome book. It is a 5 book series with the fifth book still pending release on the 10 of march!!

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Feb 12 09 1:58 AM

House of Night is a great set of books, I agree, but it's not a set of five books animal_lover12. There are to be a total of 9 books in the series.

QUOTE (Ectw101)
flamelssecret/clap3.gif Glad to help.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Feb 12 09 2:51 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ February 12, 2009 01:58 am)
QUOTE (Ectw101)
flamelssecret/clap3.gif Glad to help.

Although, now that I know it's several short memoirs.. I don't know if it qualifies for my school project, and we're starting it in a week... I guess I should see if she'll let it slip... flamelssecret/wall_.gif

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Feb 12 09 10:43 PM

House of Night is a great set of books, I agree, but it's not a set of five books animal_lover12. There are to be a total of 9 books in the series.

Really? cool!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#51 [url]

Feb 15 09 1:07 AM

QUOTE (animal_lover12 @ February 12, 2009 11:43 pm)
House of Night is a great set of books, I agree, but it's not a set of five books animal_lover12.  There are to be a total of 9 books in the series. 

Really? cool!

Yes that's right, 9 it will be, and the first film is now being made too!

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Feb 15 09 2:57 PM

I've just read the first two of the House of Night series and I've got to say I prefer it to Twilight, it's much less schmaltzy and moralistic. Zoey is definitely not a Mary-Sue kind of character, she can be moody and flawed which always makes a character more interesting and the characters just seem to be deeper and more three-dimensional.
I'm really looking forward to them coming out over here, I think we'll have up to book 5 by the close of the year.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Feb 15 09 4:20 PM

Just looked the series up and looks really good, will have to look out for it in bookstores

Has anyone read the Power of Five books? They are next in line for me to read just wondering what to expect.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Feb 17 09 1:57 PM

Just finished Magician (It's great). Now i thinking of reading book called "Catacombs" Something about paris catacombs

user posted image
Aura colour: Crystal blue
Aura scent: Popcorn

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Feb 21 09 3:22 AM

I need to read The Quantum Prophecy. And The Night Tourist.
But I am currently reading The Alchemyst for the 5 billionth time. I read The Magician at least once a week, so I needed a refresher. Oh, and Saving Juliet by Suzanne Selfors.. And Aura Advantage (another aura/chakra,etc. book). I just today started and finished Cracker! by Cynthia Kadohata. And something nonfiction(whoa, something new!), Alchemists and Gold.
Yes, I am reverting back to my "Read-Five-Books-At-A-Time Phase".

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Feb 28 09 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Michael Scott @ January 12, 2009 10:57 pm)
Do let me know. Along with the work of Mary Norton, Andre Norton and Alan Garner, Susan Cooper is probably one of the reasons I became a writer.
Michael

I finally finished The Dark is Rising series!
I think The Grey King was my favourite book in the series, I found Bran fascinating and genuinely didn't spot the Arthurian connection for quite some time, despite the endless clues. It was such an intricately woven plot and so beautifully executed, I liked the way there were no coincidences in the plot lines...much like the work of someone else we know I can't believe I never read these books as a child, I'd have loved them for longer if i had.

The parts in Wales reminded me a lot of Jenny Nimmo's The Snow Spider, with the idea of things coming from the mountains. A lot of my family are Welsh and they do have a big things about the mountains and darkness.

The characters were beautifully written too, to the point where I started to feel genuine relief whenever Merriman appeared.

I don't want to say too much because I think everyone should go and read it immediately...so in a nutshell...The Dark is Rising series is about the age-old battle between the Dark and the Light, throw in a variety of magics, Arthurian folklore, Celtic folklore, and children both older and younger than possible and you have book that is impossible to get out of your head.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#57 [url]

Mar 1 09 4:49 AM

QUOTE (MidnightQ @ February 15, 2009 04:20 pm)
Just looked the series up and looks really good, will have to look out for it in bookstores

Has anyone read the Power of Five books? They are next in line for me to read just wondering what to expect.
Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Mar 2 09 3:05 AM

Okay, everyone who isn't a totally nonsentimental, blunt person, you MUST read:
A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. On Generall Chat, remember thye synesthesia? It rocks, but I did almost cry at one point, so...

user posted image
"Isn't that against the rules?" - "No, not at all. Or, probably." --Glee
Aura: Silver | Scent: Sassafras

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#59 [url]

Mar 2 09 5:29 PM

Im rereading the Alchemyst (way overdue!)
I have a bunch of questions lined up already and will probably have more as i continue reading!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

Spacecadet

Next Generation Elder

#60 [url]

Mar 2 09 5:40 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ March 02, 2009 11:29 am)
Im rereading the Alchemyst (way overdue!)
I have a bunch of questions lined up already and will probably have more as i continue reading!

haha me too! I just started again last night

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help