Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jan 18 09 6:25 PM

QUOTE ([SmallTownActor] @ January 18, 2009 02:32 am)
I am awaiting the fifth book in my new favourite series called The House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast. I am also awaiting to buy The Magician and I currently finished re-reading When Irish Guys Are Smiling by Suzanne Supplee. I recommend The House of Night series to all vampyre fans. It rocks! (Sad trivia: a character dies on my birthday...)

I also just started reading The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black.

Godsryche: I am sorry if this was already answered but are the books you mentioned on January 09, 2009 @ 09:54 pm the books for the movies of those same names? Thanks in advance for your answer.

-VJ

Does anyone know if the House of Night series is available in the UK? It doesn't seem to be from what I can tell but I'd like give them a read as I know they are very popular in America and I've only ever read positive things about them so far.

Destiny is what we work towards. The future doesn't exist yet. Fate is for losers.

Are we Humani or are we dancers?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jan 18 09 8:26 PM

QUOTE (Melpomene @ January 18, 2009 12:25 pm)
Does anyone know if the House of Night series is available in the UK? It doesn't seem to be from what I can tell but I'd like give them a read as I know they are very popular in America and I've only ever read positive things about them so far.

Mel, all of the House of Night books - Marked/Betrayed/Chosen/Untamed/Hunted - are listed on amazon.co.uk and the publisher is St. Martin's Griffin. You should be able to get them in the UK.

Nosce Te Ipsum/Know Thyself - One joy shatters a hundred griefs.
The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#23 [url]

Jan 20 09 6:28 PM

Mel you can always ask Zeph where she got hers cause i know she read them all, well except maybe for the 3rd one where she had to beg me to tell her the whole story since she was too excited the read the 4th one (she had it at home already, but couldnt find the 3rd one anywhere!)

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.
Aura colour: Purple
Aura scent: Watermelon

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jan 20 09 9:21 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ January 20, 2009 12:28 pm)
Mel you can always ask Zeph where she got hers cause i know she read them all, well except maybe for the 3rd one where she had to beg me to tell her the whole story since she was too excited the read the 4th one (she had it at home already, but couldnt find the 3rd one anywhere!)

I sent her the first one because they were out of print at the time in the UK, but I'm not sure about the other ones.

Right now I am listening to The Alchemyst audiobook (for the umpteenth time..LOL) and I picked up Tunnels from the library earlier today. If any of you are Harry Potter fans, you should pick up "Harry, A History" by Melissa Anelli (of The Leaky Cauldron)...it's really good!!

I also just picked up Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead last night (this is another series)...thanks for the tip, Zeph!

user posted image
Aura color:Bright Red/Dark Green
Aura scent: Chocolate

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jan 21 09 3:56 AM

Yayz, I bought Melissa's book ages ago. She's a good writer. Well, she would be as she's a journalist. Reminded so much of all of the Potter release nights and WRock concerts...sigh. My brother just sent me an e-book with 80 some odd poems by Lewis Carroll. Jabberwocky, Sea Dirge, Hunting of the Snark, Lang Coortin...

The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present. - Niccolo Machiavelli
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die. - H.P. Lovecraft
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise. - Niccolo Machiavelli
user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 29 09 2:06 AM

Right now, I'm reading three books.
1. The Giver, by Lois Lowry.
2. A Separate Peace by John Knowles
3. The Periodic Table, a memoir by someone who's name I can't remember...

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Aura Color: Orange
Aura Scent: Clementines

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jan 29 09 2:21 AM

QUOTE (Sam4B00ks @ January 29, 2009 02:18 am)
good books

Have you read them? Because if so, I'm not sure that I totally understand The Giver...
Do they live in the future? Another world? A very very strange country which doesn't exist now?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jan 29 09 4:37 AM

The Giver is a futuristic novel and there are two others set in that same future society which has basically become the antithesis of a Utopian society for which sameness had been adopted: Utopia. The road to H-E-double hockey sticks is paved with good intentions and all that. The last one is Messenger and the other I can't recall off hand. All are a bit odd. Not bad, mind. Just...odd. Course, so was Lord of the Flies.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#30 [url]

Jan 29 09 3:42 PM

So i decided to go back to french books for a while since i bought one a while back that looked intriguing. Turns out, the book was translated but i havent seen them in english anywhere over here. The english title of the first book is 'Don't Die Dragonfly' by Linda Joy Singleton. I figure it was translated cause many names and places are english.

So the story is about a young girl who is gifted with her senses. So basically she gets visions, often danger visions about people, even if she doesnt know them. She also can see ghosts and spirits and is guided by an inner voice, called Opal. She lives with her grandma and they both have the gift to see people's aura and notice how they change depending their moods! Also, one of the character, who as the ability to find things by touch, as gray eyes! Everything sounds so familiar!

The book is part of a series of 5 books i believe. Im about half way through the story and i really like it so far. It reminds me alot, in some ways of the characters in this series and the fact that i found this book is pure coincidence! I cant wait to see what happens next!

user posted image
If hugs were leaves, I would give you a tree. If life was a planet, I would give you a galaxy. If friendship was life, I would give you mine.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jan 29 09 11:03 PM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ January 29, 2009 04:37 am)
The Giver is a futuristic novel and there are two others set in that same future society which has basically become the antithesis of a Utopian society for which sameness had been adopted: Utopia. The road to H-E-double hockey sticks is paved with good intentions and all that. The last one is Messenger and the other I can't recall off hand. All are a bit odd. Not bad, mind. Just...odd. Course, so was Lord of the Flies.

Thanks, that clears up a lot of questions I had.

Quote    Reply   

Zephfire

Next Generation Elder

#32 [url]

Feb 1 09 1:23 AM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ January 29, 2009 04:42 pm)
So i decided to go back to french books for a while since i bought one a while back that looked intriguing. Turns out, the book was translated but i havent seen them in english anywhere over here. The english title of the first book is 'Don't Die Dragonfly' by Linda Joy Singleton. I figure it was translated cause many names and places are english.

So the story is about a young girl who is gifted with her senses. So basically she gets visions, often danger visions about people, even if she doesnt know them. She also can see ghosts and spirits and is guided by an inner voice, called Opal.  She lives with her grandma and they both have the gift to see people's aura and notice how they change depending their moods! Also, one of the character, who as the ability to find things by touch, as gray eyes! Everything sounds so familiar!

The book is part of a series of 5 books i believe. Im about half way through the story and i really like it so far. It reminds me alot, in some ways of the characters in this series and the fact that i found this book is pure coincidence! I cant wait to see what happens next!

That series sound really interesting, are you going to read the rest of the series in French, or seek out the English translations?

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Feb 1 09 1:36 PM

QUOTE (bilibulug @ January 18, 2009 03:45 pm)
I just finished reading Sabriel by Garth Nix. It's pretty awesome .

Sabriel, yeah that is a great book!! The other two are equally as enthralling, Abhorsen and Lirael. Very much enjoyed them.

I'm currently reading the second installment of the Pellinor Series, The Riddle. Also very good books!! They are mainly about a girl named Maerad who begins as a slave and is saved by a mysterious stranger called Cadvan. He then discovers she is a "bard" or Star Person" like him and opens up the world of barding to her.

He believes that she is "The One" that has been sent to rid the world of the Nameless Ones darkness, but all is not as it seems and bards of the light turn out to be bards of the dark.

Its an awesome read, recommend it to all

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Feb 1 09 4:23 PM

I was recently assigned the Lord of the Rings trilogy in English lit, which had me very excited, until the Prof dropped the bomb: we have to pick a "theme" of the novels and discuss in depth...life-death-immortality/good vs evil/freewill or fate...and if we have time after that then for extra credit we can create our own 'map of Middle Earth' but only in conjunction to which theme we chose.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

Bellus Stella

Next Generation Elder

#36 [url]

Feb 2 09 5:47 PM

That series sound really interesting, are you going to read the rest of the seeries in French, or seek out the English translations?

I bought the second book in french over the weekend! Since i live in the Quebec region, french books are easily accessible; also because i dont go on the Ontario side every weekend. So i guess, ill read them in french!

Im intrigued though... the main character's name is Sabine. Have any of you ever heard that name before? I thought it was a french name. Every other character's name in the book is english or can be translated but im not sure about Sabine.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Feb 2 09 7:49 PM

The other book in the series would be Gathering Blue.

I've just begun a new book called Wicked Lovely. Its an intruiging novel about the land of fae. In this book, the land of fae is a coexistant but seperate realm with the living. Only people with the second sight can see the faeries that are in this realm. There are a few characters and the plot line is only just beggining to morph together into one central problem.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Feb 2 09 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ February 02, 2009 11:47 am)
Im intrigued though... the main character's name is Sabine. Have any of you ever heard that name before? I thought it was a french name. Every other character's name in the book is english or can be translated but im not sure about Sabine.

Yeah, Sabine is actually the name of one of the rivers here in Texas. As it applies here it's derived from the Spanish sabinas, a word for cypress. Although when used as a girl's name it's a Latin derivation for an ancient Italian people who lived in the city of Sabine.
QUOTE (Kelsey)
Ah, that's it. Thank you, it's been a while since I'd read them.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Feb 5 09 2:15 AM

QUOTE (JoyeuseOne @ February 02, 2009 11:07 pm)
QUOTE (Bellus Stella @ February 02, 2009 11:47 am)

Yeah, Sabine is actually the name of one of the rivers here in Texas. As it applies here it's derived from the Spanish sabinas, a word for cypress. Although when used as a girl's name it's a Latin derivation for an ancient Italian people who lived in the city of Sabine.
QUOTE (Kelsey)
Ah, that's it. Thank you, it's been a while since I'd read them.

Ah, thank you, I remember seeing it on the Library book search, but I'm currently reading a couple books for ELA, so I'll just have to remember to pick it up later.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Feb 8 09 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Sam4B00ks @ February 01, 2009 03:23 pm)
never heard of it, ill have to check it out

If you manage to read it let me know what you think

Oh and they're by Alison Croggon.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help