Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#41 [url]

Mar 5 11 3:47 PM

The Codex is fabulous! What an amazing amount of work and care went into it. I've gone through it and found that it tallies in every respect with my own notes.

This could indeed become the definitive guide to the world of Nicholas Flamel.

Well done and a huge thank you to Zephfire and Hitmanjls.

Michael

Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#42 [url]

Apr 30 11 9:08 PM

So the countdown begins.

Less than a month to go to the publication of The Warlock in the USA and just over four weeks before it comes out in Ireland and England. This is always an interesting time. The book is finished, printed (and looking spectacular) and ready to go. All it needs are readers to make it complete. I've likened this time to waiting for an exam result - and the readers are the examiners!

As usual, and exclusively for the members of the forum, I am releasing a series of quotes from the book - one per day - right up to publication today.

And there will be one or two bonus quotes as well. So make sure you check in every day.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#43 [url]

May 14 11 2:33 PM

So here we go. Just under nine days to the launch of The Warlock.

And as a very special treat (but only if you really want it), here are the first five chapters of The Warlock.

http://randomactsofreading.wordpress.com/

or here's the direct link to the pdf

http://randomactsofreading.files.wordpress...ock_excerpt.pdf

Now some of it might contain spoilers. So please be aware of that.

Enjoy!

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#44 [url]

May 14 11 2:38 PM

Oh, and spoilers.

You know I hate spoilers. I spend a really long time creating all these surprises and reveals, so its disappointing if someone blurts them out and ruins another readers enjoyment of the books.

So, please, please, please, be considerate. When you discuss the "spoiled" chapters, then all you have to do is make sure you do it in the clearly marked thread forums.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#45 [url]

May 23 11 5:17 PM

24 Hours to The Warlock!

But actually I know some of you have managed to get early copies ... indeed, its looks like the books crept out into the wild even earlier in Ireland.

So with the book about to land, you all know what I'm going to write about: SPOILERS.

I spend a lot of time crafting this series, inserting the surprises and the reveals. Part of the fun for me is to surprise you, and I know that a lot of the fun for you, is being surprised.

So, if you have read the book, please don't spoil it for other people.
Post in the clearly marked spoiler threads and be conscious on Twitter and Facebook that lots of people will not have read the books yet.

I am looking forward to your reactions to this one!

My tour for The Warlock has begun. I am typing this on the Amtrak from NY into DC to do the first official event in Politics & Prose, one of my favorite bookstores. My schedule is up on the forum here.
If you can make an event, I'd love to see you and do let me know who you are on the forum.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#46 [url]

Aug 9 11 12:58 AM

It is time to reveal the identity of the "warlock" in The Warlock.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about this and if you have not read the book yet, or simply do not want to know, then stop reading now.

You're still reading!

As you know, I used the original meaning of the word Warlock, w«£rloga which comes from Old English and means "oath-breaker."

When the Witch of Endor calls Mars Ultor 'Warlock', she is, of course, referring to the last time he broke his oath and betrayed the humani. But, as I have said before (though no-one on wikipedia ever reads before they post), Mars is NOT The Warlock of the title. The book is filled with oath-breakers, people changing sides, changing their minds. We have Billy and Machiavelli of course, but also Aten who may be betraying his world and Anubis who is betraying his brother. Then Josh betrays Sophie and of course Dee betrays everyone. And what about The Witch of Endor - what are her motives?

All of the titles of the book relate to specific characters in the series. These are often not the main character, but rather a character who has an impact on the story or other characters in the story. Also, all of the titles so far have related to the human characters. The Warlock - the oath-breaker - of the title refers to a character who has made the biggest change, the biggest decision and acts out of character.

And that is ............... Niccolo Machiavelli.

So now you know. The clues are all there, and were there almost right from the very first introduction of the character. Now go and find them.

And you've probably guessed who The Enchantress refers to by now.

Working on the last book now. Its a tough one!

With best wishes

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#47 [url]

Sep 18 11 9:45 PM

I know I've been a little absent recently - though I do check in on the forum daily - but I've been working on something a bit special. (As well as The Enchantress!)

I posted a little clue on my website today: www.dillonscott.com

Don't ask me for any more details, but all will be revealed in just over a week. I'll post again with an update and answer any questions next week.

On Enchantress news - I'm still writing furiously and making sure I tie up all the loose ends and clues throughout the series.

I've seen a couple of versions of the Enchantress cover - and, let me tell you, it is spectacular. I hope to be in a position to post it here first very soon.

Best wishes,

Michael

Remove this ad

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#48 [url]

Oct 5 11 5:07 PM

So, you've waited long enough: here is a high resolution version of the very beautiful Enchantress cover. The forum is the only place to have the high-rez edition, so please don't post it elsewhere. The other covers, even on the Random House site, are low rez.

Please, don't ask me any questions about the book or the cover, because you know I'll not answer just yet. However, the clues on this cover should be a little easier to work out.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this, the final book of the series. A lot of you have been completely spot on so far. Some of you have even guessed the identity of Marethyu.

And of course, the publication of book 6 is not the end the forum or the stories, There's a lot of really exciting news and member only exclusives just waiting to be revealed!

This book is almost complete now. Just a few more secrets to answer! And maybe, just maybe, I'll post the first chapter soon.

Also, when the book is out, will someone remind me to post the alternate cover to The Enchantress. They are equally beautiful.

Michael

user posted image

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#49 [url]

Nov 22 11 12:38 AM

Billy the Kid and the Vampyres of Vegas is out on the 22nd. It is still the 21st when I'm writing this, but I know the clock has ticked over to the 22nd in some parts of the world.

I've written on my website a little of the background to the creation of this particular story. You can read about it here:

http://www.dillonscott.com/2011/09/why-bil...pyres-of-vegas/

I have spoken before how I plotted the entire series, with numerous side stories and background tales about the characters. However, what makes the Billy story a little different is that it was never part of the original plan.

It takes place about two years before the events in The Alchemyst, and features the first meeting between Billy and Scathach. This is before Billy has met Machiavelli of course. Neither Flamel, nor Perenelle nor the twins feature in this story, but it is a reminder that all the characters had lives and adventures before the events that began on Thursday 31st May.

By now you know I like to write in a very compressed time frame, and this is no different. It takes place in less than a day.

Initially, this will be published online only, though I do hope when I've written enough stories, there will be a physical book. Who knows: publishing is changing so rapidly now and printed book sales are falling while digital sales are soaring. Just think: if you could only get the digital editions, you would not have the spectacular covers.

I am looking forward to your comments on Billy. It was fun to write.

The Enchantress is almost done - and remember when I said that the last book was the toughest ... well, I lied. This one was far tougher.

With best wishes,

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#50 [url]

Mar 2 12 1:15 PM

So we are now about 80 days away from The Enchantress and we're gearing up here on the forum with a few special member-only treats.

I know there were some questions a little while ago about the size of the book, because Amazon had posted a page count. (Which was a neat trick, because I hadn't even finished writing it at that time.)

I can confirm that The Enchantress (including authors note and acknowledgments) is 528 pages long, which makes it the biggest of the six books. The final word count came in at around 111,616 words, beating the Sorceress 111,411 words.

Here are the (fairly accurate) word counts for the books.

The Alchemyst - 87,553
The Magician - 105,664
The Sorceress - 111,411
The Necromancer - 85,895
The Warlock - 79,568
The Enchantress - 111,616

Total - 581,707

And if I add in the two ebooks, the total comes to 597,991.

I have written a lot of material which never made it to the final books. In this last book, for example, I removed whole sections to make it tighter and faster and when the book is finally out and published and everyone has had a chance to read it, I'll talk about those. They were great scenes, but they pushed the book up to almost 120,000 words.

If I add together all the material I extracted from the series, the total Flamel word count more than doubles.

That's a lot of words!

Thank you, as always, for your continued support. Most of you started reading The Alchemyst six years ago!

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#51 [url]

May 15 12 5:15 PM

So now we are a week away from publication of The Enchantress. I know the book has gone on sale early in some territories and I've been aware of some very spoilery posts on Facebook and Twitter.

If you are a fan - a true fan - of this series, then please do not spoil or tease others. It is simply not fair. And you would hate it if it happened to you.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#52 [url]

May 16 12 5:25 PM

A little update to my spoiler warnings post. The book went on sale early in the Philippines (and has leaked into Australia also.)

All the early reviews from these readers have been really good, but some - in their excitement - have revealed some of the secrets. I have written directly to these fans on Facebook and Twitter and, with very few exceptions, they have taken down their reviews.

However, there are a couple of reviews on Goodreads which give away EVERYTHING. If you don't want to accidentally learn something you shouldn't, then it might be best to avoid The Enchantress page on Goodreads for the next few days.

I am also guessing that some of the fans here, posting and commenting on the daily quotes, have either read the last book - or are psychic!

For everyone else, you've been with me for five years now, and in less than one week you will know everything (or almost everything ... or just about everything.) In fact, I can guarantee that once you read book six, you will go right back and start at the beginning to follow all the clues.

Michael

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#53 [url]

Jun 20 12 6:57 PM

Flamel movie news.

I know this has been a long time coming, but finally, I am in a position to announce the latest movie news. AMPCO Films, an Australian film company has taken the rights to The Alchemyst.

It is still very early stages yet and you all know how slowly movies grind along. However, the really positive news is that I will write the first pass on the script, which should mean that it will be close enough to the original books, and I will also act as an executive producer on the project. All of the people involved in the project - and, as is appropriate for a multi-national series, this is a multi-national creative team - are incredibly enthused and excited about the books and I am really confident that we are all going to be pleased with the end result.

The movie is being fast tracked and production is scheduled to start in February in Australia and New Zealand.

Thank you, as always, for all your support. I'll keep you updated as I get news.

Michael.

Michael Scott

Next Generation Elder

#54 [url]

Jul 1 12 11:05 PM

The single most changed page on Wiki...

I do not edit my wiki page. It is managed by the good people at Flamel's Immortal Portal and the associated Fan Forum, which is the only official fan site and the one I visit every day. The Portal and Forum act as a gathering place and discussion ground for fans. It is moderated of course, and completely child friendly. It is safe to say that the moderators know as much about the books as I do.

However, with remarkable regularity the moderators must go onto the wikipedia pages and correct additions and emendations to the pages by readers whose enthusiasm outstrips their knowledge.

The single most changed item has to do with the title characters. Each book in the series is named after a character. Some are easy to guess (The Alchemyst is Flamel, for example), but others require a closer reading of the text. So here, to avoid endless Wikipedia changes, is the (almost) definitive list.

The Alchemyst is Nicholas Flamel.

The Magician is Dr John Dee.

The Sorceress is Perenelle Flamel.

The Necromancer is Josh Newman.

The Warlock is Niccolo Machiavelli

The Enchantress is ... I deliberately do not say who the Enchantress is in the text, though there are plenty of clues. There are three possibles at the end of the book, but, given that The Enchantress is not yet out in certain territories, I'll not say just yet.

Michael

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help